• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tom 'Pidders' Pidcock

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wednesday in the Algarve Tom Pidcock became the second Ineos rider in a couple of weeks to be relegated in a sprint, after TGH's demotion in Valenciana. Here's Pidcock explaining what happened:
"In that situation, it was just instinct. That guy was just closing on me and I was coming with speed and didn't want to brake. I guess it's the first race of the year and I've been used to training and you do stuff like that when you're out with your mates training. I think I need to use my elbows more, but when you're less than 60 kilos it's quite hard to use that weight."
Fair enough and all that. Except that Thursday he was again messing up his sprint, going for a gap that wasn't there and nearly putting himself into the barriers. Here he is again:
"Today was maybe a lack of experience of these sorts of finishes. I got squashed against the barriers. It was kind of my fault for going a bit late, to be honest - probably lack of experience."
Question: is it time for Ineos to send their riders back to sprint school or is that a marginal gain too far for Brailsford's Babes/Ellingworth's Eaglets?

(Given that Van Wilder was sprinting on the hoods and celebrating before the line, letting Court get there first, it's not just Ineos who might need to be thinking about sprint school. Who woulda thunk that Lefevere of all team bosses might have to teach his riders how to sprint?)

That guy was just closing on me and I was coming with speed and didn't want to brake.

In such situation you must use the brakes. Safety of the riders always comes first. If your sprint was obstructed. Raise an appeal after the race. To get the other rider relegated. Due to deviating from the line, endangerment and obstruction.

I think I need to use my elbows more, but when you're less than 60 kilos it's quite hard to use that weight.

Yes. Yell. Try to use elbows as a buffer. If none of that helps use the brakes instead of a knee. Raise an appeal after the race. To get the other rider relegated.

Today was maybe a lack of experience of these sorts of finishes. I got squashed against the barriers. It was kind of my fault for going a bit late, to be honest - probably lack of experience.

Yeah. If you were late to the party and tried to fit in. On where you don't fit. Then next time try harder beforehand. If the rider in front of you deviated from the line and pushed you into barriers. Yell. Try to use elbows as a buffer. If it doesn't help use the brakes instead of a knee. Raise an appeal after the race. To get the other rider relegated.

(Given that Van Wilder was sprinting on the hoods and celebrating before the line, letting Court get there first, it's not just Ineos who might need to be thinking about sprint school. Who woulda thunk that Lefevere of all team bosses might have to teach his riders how to sprint?)

Yes. There is a lot of work left to do. To straighten the sprint bunch up. Some work was already done. But with all this pressure from 60kg sprinters. Obviously much more still needs to be done. To make a sprint relatively safe thing to do.

Funny how the worst stage placing he got this year is 13th (not counting relegations), yet everybody moans in how poor shape he is. The expectations must be really high for this guy.

The expectation is that he can compete for the win in the upcoming classics. Ineos are certainly paying him with that expectation in mind. Based on today he has an awful lot of work to do.

The expectation is that he can compete for the win in the upcoming classics. Ineos are certainly paying him with that expectation in mind. Based on today he has an awful lot of work to do.
He was ina break with a group of strong roulers today, a sub 60k rider was always going to find it hard.
Why not appreciate that he was on the attack and not just sat in the bunch.
This is his first race after a short rest after racing cross for three months.

He was ina break with a group of strong roulers today, a sub 60k rider was always going to find it hard.
Why not appreciate that he was on the attack and not just sat in the bunch.
This is his first race after a short rest after racing cross for three months.

Based on today’s form I would still have expected him to be stronger yesterday. I’ve seen him put Van Aert under pressure on false flat terrain in the past.

That was some kick at the finish of the stage 4. Taking the stage and leaders jersey. Now i guess i will have to watch the Sunday's finale.
His timing was impeccable, he launched just as Almeida slowed for a moment. On the other hand, you would expect Pidcock has a much quicker jump than diesel Almeida, so perhaps not remarkable in that respect. But no doubt about the excellent climbing form.

I thought he was going to be a man for the GT’s or at least that his ambitions were to win one, but I can’t see this happening when his TT skills are so lacklustre. He can win any race he wants but I can’t see him winning a GT.
He’s young and learning. I’m not a big Pidders fan or anything, though I am growing to admire his style, but TT is a skill that can be learned and he has spent no time working on his position, from what I gather.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I thought he was going to be a man for the GT’s or at least that his ambitions were to win one, but I can’t see this happening when his TT skills are so lacklustre. He can win any race he wants but I can’t see him winning a GT.
For example, remember the time Froome lost over 5:30 to Menchov in a TT?

There was also the time Miguel Indurain lost 15 minutes to JF Bernard in a TT.

And that’s after he lost 3:12 to Stephen Roche in the earlier TT (and even was beaten by Delgado on a flat TT)

So as it stands, you can cherry-pick TT results from a young rider and results will vary. Pidders is young and hasn’t spent a lot of effort focusing on positioning.

The man finished 19th in his first ITT as a pro that mattered and he's already written off as a GT prospect, some very patient people seem to be commenting in this thread recently. ;)

TRENDING THREADS