• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tony Martin Bandwagon thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Tony Martin reach a Top Ten overall finish at this year's Tour de France

• Hell No

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Maybe he could save himself and try and beat the Canc in Grenoble. I might even root for him that day. Was sad to see him go so early today.

Don't feel too bad, Bavarianrider.

0511-0702-0211-2545_Businessman_Waving_a_White_Flag_Behind_His_Desk_clipart_image.jpg

:(:(

sad_face-13549.png

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
it is down to pure climbing talent.

i certainly don't think it will have helped Martins chances to be doing lead out duty though. (if he was on FDJ, AG2R, COF etc and had done zero work to this point then he could've stuck with the top 20 guys for longer (maybe multiple stages).

just sayin'

i think i voted hell no, but i certainly didn't get any pleasure from seeing him slide backwards.

A

Anonymous

26 Tony Martin (Ger) HTC-Highroad 0:10:51

not too bad....he could still make it.

theyoungest said:
This is not clinic-related, it's climbing talent-related. He can TT his way up a mountain, until a certain point.

If you believe Bavarianrider, you can TT up any mountain because the steepness doesn't affect anything and all mountains are the same because we should judge them on vertical gain, not on gradient, severity, consistency or altitude. And because they don't need to put in as much effort to attain the same power climbing actually benefits heavier riders, not lighter ones.

Hence why Cancellara and Martin were the favourites to 1-2 the Tour until the shocking events of today.

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:
velits had a mechanical just when leopard started pushing.

some1 said on the race thread that he scored the fastest time up the tourmalet.

ofc he struggled in the last mountain tho.

That was probably me, but I meant that last climb to finish, where Velits was faster than Sanchez, not Tourmaled.I guess if he had not that mechanical and 2x bike change, he was able to finish with first 10 riders today.Anyway, Velits is only 1 minute behind TOP 10 and looks good :)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
If you believe Bavarianrider, you can TT up any mountain because the steepness doesn't affect anything and all mountains are the same because we should judge them on vertical gain, not on gradient, severity, consistency or altitude. And because they don't need to put in as much effort to attain the same power climbing actually benefits heavier riders, not lighter ones.

Hence why Cancellara and Martin were the favourites to 1-2 the Tour until the shocking events of today.

LOL, very good LS:p! Of course steepness,length, etc matters.

Maybe Martin can pace the 'charisma lacking' peter Velits in the rest of the stages :D

Bavarianrider said:
Tony says he wanted in the break today, but the groups he was in were always chased down.
Maybe tomorrow then.

i am proud of you BR. i truly am. you took martins failure in the mountains rather well and haven't tried to make up any excuses. hell you didn't even mentioned the fact that he also is on lead out duty.

Parrulo said:
i am proud of you BR. i truly am. you took martins failure in the mountains rather well and haven't tried to make up any excuses. hell you didn't even mentioned the fact that he also is on lead out duty.

Well it would be cheap to blame it on the lead outs. I mean if he lost 3 minutes that would have been an excuse. But not when you are dropped like a stone by Jens Voigt.
I hope he can show some improvement tomorrow