• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tony Martin is VERY good.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
I'd call him a Grand Tour contender at this point.... What does the forum think?

That has to be one with a lot of ITT and no steep mountains. On a mountaintop finish like Alpe d'Huez or Joux Plane similar, he will lose too much time.
I'm impressed by him also. But that is mostly as a time-trialist.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
jonjungel said:
That has to be one with a lot of ITT and no steep mountains. On a mountaintop finish like Alpe d'Huez or Joux Plane similar, he will lose too much time.

I agree; maybe a next Jens Voigt?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Lets rehash this thread when he does something in the realm of qualifying as a Tour/GC hopeful. That would be placing or at least top 10 at a GT.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
jonjungel said:

It'll be interesting to see. ;)

Jasper said:
They both like to grind that big gear yeah. And they're both German :D

Oh he's waay better than Jens though.

A

Anonymous

Two Tony Martin threads one on top of the other. One from days ago and one started today. Wow, who woulda' thought we needed two?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Two Tony Martin threads one on top of the other. One from days ago and one started today. Wow, who woulda' thought we needed two?

No - I brought up the other one, which I found on page 6. BB then obviously remembered that he had written about TM way back in March, and brought his own topic back up. A circumstantial ****-up for which no one can be blamed. ;)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:

Because Tony is REAL good. And the fact that he has two pelotas, so he deserves two threads.

A

Anonymous

Amsterhammer said:
No - I brought up the other one, which I found on page 6. BB then obviously remembered that he had written about TM way back in March, and brought his own topic back up. A circumstantial ****-up for which no one can be blamed. ;)

Fair enough.

A

Anonymous

Bala Verde said:
Because Tony is REAL good. And the fact that he has two pelotas, so he deserves two threads.

Yea, I mean he is in the white jersey and all and considering Lance gets his own jersey on Versus I think Tony deserves two threads on cyclingnews forums.

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
I'd call him a Grand Tour contender at this point.... What does the forum think?

I think that he is really only as good as a Cat 5 club racer. He is obviously on some form of as yet undiscovered EPO or transfusing with the hyper oxygenated blood of cryogenically frozen WW2 stormtroopers. I cannot accept that some guys are actually better than others or that some may be actually really gifted and quite a bit better than their peers. Therefore it must be the 'D' thing. :rolleyes:

Damn I'm starting to suffer from Bigboatitis!!!!:eek:

May 15, 2009
Visit site
It is interesting that a few years ago he wasn't a good Ttist at all-so one can imagine that he also can have a Level Up in the mountains.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Can I suggest that we continue with this topic as it was the original?

The boy will be wearing the white much more firmly after today. I will be hoping that he gets at least one day in the yellow too - and I don't want to know what he might be taking. :rolleyes:

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Keep it clean boys. I'd hate to have to start banning people for heading down this line of conversation in the professional road racing forum.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Greg Johnson said:
Keep it clean boys. I'd hate to have to start banning people for heading down this line of conversation in the professional road racing forum.

Cheers
Greg Johnson
we will make you a deal Greg, we stop talking like it, when the UCI sanctions 'em. ;)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Delicato said:
It is interesting that a few years ago he wasn't a good Ttist at all-so one can imagine that he also can have a Level Up in the mountains.
don't know where you got that. But he is 6'2" or 6'3" and about 78kgs. He will always be a good tt'er.

His results speak for themselves. He won the u19 German championships. And the Germans have always excelled at this discipline. Two years later he won the u23 German championship, and beat Gretsch and others to win that title. Never been a mug.

Was a stagiare on Gerolsteiner in 2005.

But he barely could beat Walker in the GC in 2005 Thuringen Rundfahrt, indeed he only won because Walker got a mechanical on the final stage. He was not timetrialling better than Walker then.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
don't know where you got that. But he is 6'2" or 6'3" and about 78kgs. He will always be a good tt'er.

His results speak for themselves. He won the u19 German championships. And the Germans have always excelled at this discipline. Two years later he won the u23 German championship, and beat Gretsch and others to win that title. Never been a mug.

Was a stagiare on Gerolsteiner in 2005.

But he barely could beat Walker in the GC in 2005 Thuringen Rundfahrt, indeed he only won because Walker got a mechanical on the final stage. He was not timetrialling better than Walker then.
Hen can't win every race... But in 2005 there was a mountain time trial in the Regio tour, there he won and beat guys like Maxim Monfort

1 Tony Martin (Ger) Gerolsteiner 33.43
2 Maxime Monfort (Bel) Landbouwkrediet-Colnago 0.09
3 Matthias Russ (Ger) Gerolsteiner 0.21
4 Nico Sijmens (Bel) Landbouwkrediet-Colnago 0.43
5 Björn Papstein (Ger) Team Lamonta 0.44
6 Rinaldo Nocentini (Ita) Acqua & Sapone-Adria Mobil 1.02
7 Holger Sievers (Ger) Team Lamonta 1.05
8 Gerhard Trampusch (Aut) Akud Arnolds Sicherheit 1.08
9 Sergey Yakovlev (Kaz) T-Mobile Team 1.23
10 Moises Aldape C. (Mex) Ceramica Panaria-Navigare 1.28
11 Sergiy Matveyev (Ukr) Ceramica Panaria-Navigare 1.31
12 Rolf Aldag (Ger) T-Mobile Team 1.36