• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Too Late, Too Furious: Tokyo Drift - The 2020 Olympics Thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Evenepoel will do fine in the descents. Nice and big roads. Smaller peleton if not mistaken. This is his first real peak ( remco and goals = bingo). Small teams, race difficult to contol, most domestiques will be gone after Fuji. And he s considered as an underdog so he will have the space for an attack between Fuji and Mikuli pass.

I'd be surprised if teams let Remco go. He's someone who'll be marked by the other teams no 1 and 2 options. The other 3 Belgians are the best chance in that flatter section there.

Anyone know what the time schedule is for this? It's starting 3am UK/Ireland time I think, 4am in Europe so obviously not ideal times for most of us I'm guessing.

When are they likely to hit Fuji in particular? Just gone 6am?

What an awful outfit the Italians are wearing to the opening ceremony. They could at least have used Mario as a template instead of Pac-Man.

E6-qieOXoAE8DUN

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if teams let Remco go.
Well, it becomes a lot harder to control knowing those "teams" consist of on average 4 riders, of which by that time maybe one or two might already have been dropped. So those "teams" that don't want to let them go, might have to react with their leader, unless there are enough domestiques of countries that want to join efforts. But i don't think a lot of those will see the benefit of chasing Evenepoel, with Roglic and Poglic in their wheels.

Reactions: Flurk1982
-I can't guess the strategy, tactics, results, etc. Hopefully its a good, hard race!
-I don't really care about the kits, but man there is a lot of white!
--I do always wonder why the helmet sponsors don't make an effort to get a 'matching' helmet to the riders when they are in national kits...that's easy this year, every brand has a white option.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well, it becomes a lot harder to control knowing those "teams" consist of on average 4 riders, of which by that time maybe one or two might already have been dropped. So those "teams" that don't want to let them go, might have to react with their leader, unless there are enough domestiques of countries that want to join efforts. But i don't think a lot of those will see the benefit of chasing Evenepoel, with Roglic and Poglic in their wheels.

It does but with Remco I can't see the main favourites leaving him go. If he attacks on that flat section, I could actually see Roglic or Pogacar get on his wheel. Likewise the Spanish, French or Italians who should still have full teams by then, I reckon they'd close him down. The 3 lower Belgian favourites have a better chance of working on a longer range attack imo.

It does but with Remco I can't see the main favourites leaving him go. If he attacks on that flat section, I could actually see Roglic or Pogacar get on his wheel. Likewise the Spanish, French or Italians who should still have full teams by then, I reckon they'd close him down. The 3 lower Belgian favourites have a better chance of working on a longer range attack imo.
They should have a better chance to get some room of course. I just don't think France or Italy is going to work chasing anybody down as long as Roglic and Pogacar are still there. I can see some of them trying to join Evenepoel in a potential attack, forcing the Slovenians to do the work.