• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2011 Stage 9: Issoire - Saint-Flour 208 km

Page 64 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There is a new press note in the Alberto Contador official website press room

Email/post to his website:
You can also visit this in the official website here http://www.albertocontador.es/prensa.detalle.php?id=636

Alberto Contador had no luck now and again suffered a fall, this time caused by a hang of its handlebar with the seat of Vladimir Karpets. “It was an accident”, said the leader of Saxo Bank-Sungard, “but as the stage passed I felt more pain in my right knee and am a bit worried because the last few days I felt some annoyances in the same right knee. It has now been on the interior side, I hope that today and plus tomorrow, with lots of ice, I can recover”.

If you see the other posts they are generally MUCH more optimistic ALWAYS than this one. Even on bad days. We'll see. I don't think today felt good at all.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
ggusta said:
Without having any better video, that is what I kept coming back to: Why would he do that? Especially to the highest profile rider in the race?

maybe it's personal. maybe karpets doesn't like him. or...

there are lots of people that really really want contador out of this race. many of them have money. it would not be difficult at all to pay a minor rider a substantial sum to take conti out.

the list of potential conspirators should write itself.

i am not saying i believe this myself (it was probably an accident). but you were asking why. obviously the answer would not be for sporting reasons as there is clearly nothing gained.

if you think that this cannot happen, well then, i'd say you need to brush up on the history of sports corruption, match fixing, and organized crime. if you think that cycling is above this sort of thing.... you are certainly within your right to think that, even though all of the evidence points the other way.

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
well, thanks MonteCristo.

it doesn't bode that well though, if he was already injured in his knee and had the mishap today.

and the headline i see when looking for contador news came up with cadel evans out-climbing contador! lol...

okay. out-climbing an injured contador is something. but i wouldn't think winning this way is how schleck or evans prefer to win TdF. OTH a win is a win. it's a gift for their fans too. hey that's racing. cadel was injured last year. a big part of this is luck.

ggusta said:
Email/post to his website:
You can also visit this in the official website here http://www.albertocontador.es/prensa.detalle.php?id=636

Alberto Contador had no luck now and again suffered a fall, this time caused by a hang of its handlebar with the seat of Vladimir Karpets. “It was an accident”, said the leader of Saxo Bank-Sungard, “but as the stage passed I felt more pain in my right knee and am a bit worried because the last few days I felt some annoyances in the same right knee. It has now been on the interior side, I hope that today and plus tomorrow, with lots of ice, I can recover”.

If you see the other posts they are generally MUCH more optimistic ALWAYS than this one. Even on bad days. We'll see. I don't think today felt good at all.

Continue:

Thinking on this, he welcomed tomorrow’s first rest day of the race. “It's good to have this rest day because the inflammation is very big and well and I could do anything more than some stretch”. Alberto also offered some reasons to explain so many falls. “We're riding over very narrow roads, more than normal, perhaps because we went to the north and, for sure, because it has been a lot of rain that favors falls”, he said. On today’s big fall we were riding very fast and couldn’t see the curve. I’ve seen a rider that really fear me, I hope everyone was well and will recover soon”.

http://www.albertocontador.com/prensa.detalle.php?id=636

As i thought, it is an inflammation. And the difference with the article from his website then the article previous posted is that it avoids the word "knee-injury".

Gingerale said:
okay. out-climbing an injured contador is something. but i wouldn't think winning this way is how schleck or evans prefer to win TdF. OTH a win is a win. it's a gift for their fans too. hey that's racing. cadel was injured last year. a big part of this is luck.

Being happy when the contenders fall out in what more and more looks like a grand theft auto France could not be an satisfying way to win. However, given AS normally moralic standards, IF he should win i can easy see him offers advice to his competitors how they should ride, and he is the next big thing after bread and butter. AS win? Even the thought is to much to handle, just imagine his mouth...

spanky wanderlust said:

there are lots of people that really really want contador out of this race. many of them have money. it would not be difficult at all to pay a minor rider a substantial sum to take conti out.

i am not saying i believe this myself (it was probably an accident). but you were asking why. obviously the answer would not be for sporting reasons as there is clearly nothing gained.

if you think that this cannot happen, well then, i'd say you need to brush up on the history of sports corruption, match fixing, and organized crime. if you think that cycling is above this sort of thing.... you are certainly within your right to think that, even though all of the evidence points the other way.

as i said, without better video angles, there's no basis for saying it's intentional other than speculation, and now SBS is saying it's innocent. So it's really tough to allege a 'crime' if the victim says there is no crime.

Without evidence, your speculation sounds rather wild and prejudiced. And I am NOT saying it was NOT intentional. I am just saying we have little basis to believe it right now.

Johnny_Hoogerlan_83266116x9.jpg

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
ggusta said:
as i said, without better video angles, there's no basis for saying it's intentional other than speculation, and now SBS is saying it's innocent. So it's really tough to allege a 'crime' if the victim says there is no crime.

Without evidence, your speculation sounds rather wild and prejudiced. And I am NOT saying it was NOT intentional. I am just saying we have little basis to believe it right now.

sigh. if you can't be bothered to read an entire post, just don't respond.

both parties have come out and said publicly it was an accident. which i suspected it was, as i said in my post.

the video feed gave cause for concern. someone asked why someone would do that if there is no sporting gain. i simply pointed out a few potential explanations outside of sporting concerns. and yes, i was speculating. that was abundantly clear.

that is all.

spanky wanderlust said:

The thing is though that Karpets actually has a lot to lose by getting tossed out of the Tour.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
spalco said:
Sounds like I missed a hell of a stage today. Go Voeckler! Won't be easy for Evans/Schleckies to pull back those 2:30.

Cadel can pull it back in ITT alone. However, he will be 8 minutes down on Yellow Jersey by the time they get to Grenoble.