• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2011 Stage 9: Issoire - Saint-Flour 208 km

Page 66 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
He also said that Flecha apologised to him for taking him out, as if Flecha can hold any responsibility for that crash whatsoever. Wrong place, wrong time.

As he said, it's an accident. The driver is sorry, I'm sure.

Reckless and stupid, yes. But it's not like he MEANT to take those riders out. He just made a bad decision which he's paid for with his press benefits and in all likelihood his job.
Accidents aren't intentional, that's why they're called accidents. Still, if this had happened on an open road, the driver would be facing a trial.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Guys I have big news.

Contador is still going to win the Tour de France.

That is all.

Tell that to the Schleck Bros. Inc., and Karpets, who did not care if he crashed the guy. That's why Alberto's having trouble. No one wants him there.

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Jamsque said:
Guys I have big news.

Contador is still going to win the Tour de France.

That is all.

I keep thinking the same thing. Then again, I thought that Basso would do something in last year's Tour. Who knows.

It may indeed be like the 2010 Giro, or maybe the 95 Tour where Indurain lost the yellow jersey on the road and had to take back eight minutes on Zulle. I think that he got 3 of those minutes on the final climb. What an epic day. Those were also the glory days of Paul and Phil.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Any News?

Are Flecha and Hoogerland being given the same time as Casar?

They should be as it was the fault of an accredited driver of an invited VIP car, and as such was not a "racing accident", but negligence and a criminal act (Dangerous driving occasioning bodily harm, and Leaving the scene of an accident), given that the driver failed to stop and render assistance.

Has the driver and car had their race accreditation revoked, and kicked out? That should be the least of the repercussions.

Anyone who is not happy with the situation and the resulting handling of the crash with Flecha and Hoogerland, please write (in protest) to ASO Cycling Commercial Manager of Hospitalité : Valérie Silberstein, at vsilberstein@aso.fr

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
what did he said in his interview?

From eurosport.com.....

Johnny Hoogerland:
'We can still be happy that we're alive. It's horrible. I can blame everyone but I don't think anyone does this sort of thing on purpose. I think the people in the car will have a very big guilty feeling and they will surely apologize to me and Flecha. Juan Antonio came to me an he apologized. It should not happen but it's always possible that this sort of thing happens. Nobody can be blamed for this. It's a horrible accident and I was in it. But I said to Flecha, We're still alive and Wouter Weylandt died in a crash. Cycling is getting more and more hectic which is also nice because more and more people are watching but, for sure, some people will say that it may be like this because well, I can't explain it but I think most people feel very, very bad about this sort of thing. I have three cuts that are about seven centimeters long and quite deep too. I'll go to the hospital now and I think I'll need about 30 stitches at least I did what felt like a few somersaults. I don't know where the car came from. Before I knew it, Flecha was on the ground and there was nothing I could do. I landed on the fence and I looked at my legs and thought, Is this what cycling is about?' I have the polka-dot jersey but I'm going to spend the rest day in a lot of pain.'

Driver involved in Flecha/Hoogerland crash expelled from Tour de France

The car, belonging to France Television 2/3, overtook the day's break with 37 kilometres to go. It went past the riders with two wheels on the grass but swung in suddenly to avoid a tree growing on the verge; in doing so, it clipped Flecha (Sky Procycling) and caused Hoogerland (Vacansoleil) to be thrown sideways and to land on a barbed wire fence. Both riders were able to finish the stage, but were injured and lost the chance of fighting it out for the victory and also gaining time on the bunch.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/9...pelled-from-Tour-de-France.aspx#ixzz1RjaqJbyA

bettiniphoto_0085507_1_full_600.jpg

Andy99 said:
From eurosport.com.....

Johnny Hoogerland:
'We can still be happy that we're alive. It's horrible. I can blame everyone but I don't think anyone does this sort of thing on purpose. I think the people in the car will have a very big guilty feeling and they will surely apologize to me and Flecha. Juan Antonio came to me an he apologized. It should not happen but it's always possible that this sort of thing happens. Nobody can be blamed for this. It's a horrible accident and I was in it. But I said to Flecha, We're still alive and Wouter Weylandt died in a crash. Cycling is getting more and more hectic which is also nice because more and more people are watching but, for sure, some people will say that it may be like this because well, I can't explain it but I think most people feel very, very bad about this sort of thing. I have three cuts that are about seven centimeters long and quite deep too. I'll go to the hospital now and I think I'll need about 30 stitches at least I did what felt like a few somersaults. I don't know where the car came from. Before I knew it, Flecha was on the ground and there was nothing I could do. I landed on the fence and I looked at my legs and thought, Is this what cycling is about?' I have the polka-dot jersey but I'm going to spend the rest day in a lot of pain.'

i have always been a fan of hoggie the guy is awesome an absolute legend

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
i have always been a fan of hoggie the guy is awesome an absolute legend

Agreed, the video of him on the podium is amazing! Chapeau! If he can continue, it'd be cool to see him keep going for the KOM!

Andy99 said:
From eurosport.com.....

Johnny Hoogerland:

Incredible poise and class. I find it hard to imagine I wouldn't have gone looking for the guy straight after the race, with bad intentions.

As for the action:-

- Bertie won't make it out of the Pyrenees.
- Velits is looking really good. He really ought to be considered a favourite.
- Gilbert has green in the bag.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Hoogerland has been a great joy to watch so far, I really hope he'll recover soon enough to light up the reminder of the tour. His reactions on the podium will be remembered for a long time after this tour.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
ggusta said:
as i said, without better video angles, there's no basis for saying it's intentional other than speculation, and now SBS is saying it's innocent. So it's really tough to allege a 'crime' if the victim says there is no crime.

Without evidence, your speculation sounds rather wild and prejudiced. And I am NOT saying it was NOT intentional. I am just saying we have little basis to believe it right now.
Doesn't sound so innocent here:

"Before climbing onto the Katusha team-bus beyond the finish-line in Saint-Flour, Karpets was asked whether he had caused Contador’s crash 84km into the 208km stage. The Russian told ITV reporter Matt Rendell, "Yes, yes. He hit my wrist".

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/karpets-and-contador-diplomatic-on-stage-9-crash

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Accidents aren't intentional, that's why they're called accidents. Still, if this had happened on an open road, the driver would be facing a trial.

speaking as a professional driver, this so-called accident is the result of some extremely careless, reckless driving. anytime you prioritize something, anything at all, over the safety of yourself, your passengers and the people around you, you are making a massive error in judgement. it doesn't matter if it is in a race or on the open road, the principle is the same. this person was endangering the lives of the people around him for what? to gain a little space on the road? this is the very definition of reckless endangerment. even, i suspect, in france.

taking away their license and their job is just the beginning. fines and jail time are very much in order. imho.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Because they thought they were going to hit a tree and probably misjudged how much space they had.

Fines and possible jail time for negligence and/or careless driving may well be in order, but the fact of the matter is, it was an accident. Born out of a massive error in judgement as you say. It's not a "so-called" accident, because that suggests it was deliberate but dressed up to look like an accident. No, it was an accident. It was reckless, it was stupid, and it was negligent, which is what any legal action should focus on.