• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2015 Stage 9: Vannes-Plumelec 28 km TTT

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
29 km isn't that long but a pretty hard parcours for a TTT. If you're only with 5 on that last hill and your 5th guy is cooked you're in serious trouble.

Luckely the most important GC contenders still have 9 riders (poor purito though). Big favorites imo are BMC, Tinkoff and Sky. Not sure about movistar and astana

RFo2Dqf.jpg

PROFIL.png

PROFILKMS.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
BMC #1. Not sure how the others are going to do. The ideal scenario would be for Astana and Movistar to gain at least a minute on Tinkov and Sky, to make things closer again between the Big 4.

It's not very satisfying to have something like stage 2 to have such a huge bearing on the general classification, and the same is true for a TTT, so if they somehow cancel each other, I'd be ecstatic.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
BMC #1. Not sure how the others are going to do. The ideal scenario would be for Astana and Movistar to gain at least a minute on Tinkov and Sky, to make things closer again between the Big 4.

It's not very satisfying to have something like stage 2 to have such a huge bearing on the general classification, and the same is true for a TTT, so if they somehow cancel each other, I'd be ecstatic.

Why? Quintana was positioned poorly in stage 2 with his team, his own fault.

Id have said Orica and Etixx would have been favourites but both have had their chances gone, Etixx losing Tony and Orica being decimated by injuries.

I think BMC will either win or be very close to it. I have a feeling Tinkoff will just beat Sky, maybe by just a few seconds.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:

You're the type that think ONLY the mountain stages should be decisive for a GT win or am I misunderstanding something? I really like the new kind of TdF where the winner should be good at a lot of things, but of course the mountains will always be most important.

The organizers deserve a praise for this ttt - rest day set up.
The road logistics can already head south, and the riders will have free morning tomorrow, besides the rest day on the Monday.
Although it's a long transfer, they should be well recovered for the Tuesday.

BMC should do the best of GC contenders' teams, SKY and Tinkoff very close, Movistar slightly behind together with Katusha.
Astana is a mystery, but somewhere between BMC, SKY, Tinkoff and Movistar, Katusha, should be their place.
Won't be good for the race if the sextet will be packed in more than a minute.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

rm7 said:
SeriousSam said:

You're the type that think ONLY the mountain stages should be decisive for a GT win or am I misunderstanding something? I really like the new kind of TdF where the winner should be good at a lot of things, but of course the mountains will always be most important.
ITTs too. If only this stage was an ITT.

If there was a very strong relation between some individual characteristic and gaining/losing time in something like stage 2 (or a TTT), I'd agree. I don't see convincing evidence of that being the case.

When the individual gets all the spoils for a Tour victory as is currently the case, I'd like individual characteristics to be decisive.

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:

I disagree. In cycling, as in life, the mistakes, confusions, doubts and excuses of some are the successes of others.

BigMac said:
the sceptic said:
Froome might do a Lance and blow up Sky on that first hill.

It was funny how the rest were struggling to keep up in the Dauphiné. Bad signs for them if it happens again tomorrow.

Sky have three new riders since Dauphinine, all stronger than the two replaced, on the final climb it will be G, Porte, Konig, Froome, Kennaugh and Poels, I think that other than G and Chris they heve saved energy over the last few days, main work by Roche on the front.

del1962 said:
BigMac said:
the sceptic said:
Froome might do a Lance and blow up Sky on that first hill.

It was funny how the rest were struggling to keep up in the Dauphiné. Bad signs for them if it happens again tomorrow.

Sky have three new riders since Dauphinine, all stronger than the two replaced, on the final climb it will be G, Porte, Konig, Froome, Kennaugh and Poels, I think that other than G and Chris they heve saved energy over the last few days, main work by Roche on the front.

Yes, it's highly unlikely.

TRENDING THREADS