• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2015 Stage 9: Vannes-Plumelec 28 km TTT

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Ah there we go people are overrating tj again. Not 1 mountain done in the tour and he's already on the podium.

It's always the same with tj in this forum.

perico said:
Sky and Tinkoff had roughly the same time up the climb. Movistar was fastest up followed by BMC. Quintana and Contador will have to go on the offensive. Nibali is pretty much done on GC unless he goes ballistic on descents. would probably need to team with Contador who is the only GC guy who goes downhill like a madman, but then would have to find a way to put time into him.

Yep. Should be a pretty explosive next couple of weeks.

Re:

Kwibus said:
Hello people. Every team had to carry their dead 5th man up that final hill.

Roche still rode that TTT among the 10 fastest.
+1

Agree. I don't understand why posters *** around the fifth wheel on all the teams. On that hill who has 5 good TT that are good climbers? Very hard. On team Sky why not *** around the ones that dropped first.

Re: Re:

Publicus said:
Pricey_sky said:
pedromiguelmartins said:
Contador is getting those legs ready... He was in beast mode on that climb. All that no-racing in June, besides putting Quintana on his place, is paying off.

One rest day and he will glue himself to Froome's wheel until 2Km to go, until he does what he did at the Vuelta.

Difference now though is Froome doesn't need time, he has the jersey.

Froome will obviously attack, but I hope if he doesn't drop his rivals he just sits up and let's someone else have a go and he can follow wheels. They have to drop Froome after all.

I don't know that I've ever seen Froome ride smart with a GT lead. That's his only problem. He's the strongest and that's how he rides. There's a real risk he tries to respond to too many attacks and blows himself (I don't know that any one rider can blow him up).

Yeah I do agree with you which I why I had to put 'I hope' in my post. :D

Publicus said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Publicus said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Publicus said:
I'm calling it. Froome wins the Tour.
Beware of Quintana. Looked also in mutant form.
Also, Quintana beat Froome in the 3rd week of the Tour pretty solidly in 2013. Now he's much closer to Froome to begin with.

I think it's going to be close between Froome and Quintana. V Garderen will be 3rd

Van Garderen won't make podium.
We will know on Tuesday. So far he's looked solid

Tuesday's one climb stage won't tell you much
It will tell us more about where TJ stands climbing wise. Still I'm expecting a bad day, as is usually the case with TJ

Poels failed if he was meant to be the fifth rider not Roche. Roche did very well to hang on for as long as he did if they gave him extra work earlier because they expected him to drop, I certainly did not expect him to be in the final five looking at the nine riders

Re:

sir fly said:
Fantastic position for TJ.
He doesn't need to work in the mountains at all. He can pick his target and follow.

He ought to remain patient and mark Froome; the other 3 need to make a up a lot of time and will be trying to land knockout blows, Tejay could benefit from that if he's having a good day and the other 3 manage to crack Froome before they crack him.

Publicus said:
Pricey_sky said:
pedromiguelmartins said:
Contador is getting those legs ready... He was in beast mode on that climb. All that no-racing in June, besides putting Quintana on his place, is paying off.

One rest day and he will glue himself to Froome's wheel until 2Km to go, until he does what he did at the Vuelta.

Froome will obviously attack, but I hope if he doesn't drop his rivals he just sits up and let's someone else have a go and he can follow wheels. They have to drop Froome after all.

I don't know that I've ever seen Froome ride smart with a GT lead. That's his only problem. He's the strongest and that's how he rides. There's a real risk he tries to respond to too many attacks and blows himself (I don't know that any one rider can blow him up).
Did you actually watch the Vuelta and Hazallanas?

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site

harryh said:
Cimber said:
Valgren: "Sagan went to hard on the climbs, which cost us in the end. It would have been better if he had taken longer turns on the flat parts instead"

Saxo is tactically so inept.

Riis on TV: "Saxo failed. Maybe they were "too laid back". Hadnt prepared enough. Had expected them to beat Sky, but Froome was really strong."

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

Walkman said:
Miburo said:
Ah there we go people are overrating tj again. Not 1 mountain done in the tour and he's already on the podium.

It's always the same with tj in this forum.

As if he is the one getting overrated too much. Contador won the "Who will win the Tour-poll"…

Never said contador wasn't overrated here, i actually made a thread last year where i said contador is overrated too.

But you didn't know that right? nice try :eek:

Expected script for Tuesday?:
images

Publicus said:
Pricey_sky said:
pedromiguelmartins said:

Yeah I've been thinking about that too (although the only real example is Tour 2013 of 'riding with GT lead', as the day or so in the Vuelta was totally a foreign experience at the time) - in the third week of 2013 Quintana and J-Rod were better than him on the mountains very clearly. If it's the same this year and he only has a minute rather than 5 or 6, it could get interesting. He's been strong and impressive this week, but I'd rather be solid and relatively invisible. Quintana is the one to watch for me, for sure. Still not sure what his upper limits are (due to his youth) and has not shown any weakness save a bit of positioning in the crosswind stage. mountains will reveal the truth.

Re:

TheGreenMonkey said:
Poels failed if he was meant to be the fifth rider not Roche. Roche did very well to hang on for as long as he did if they gave him extra work earlier because they expected him to drop, I certainly did not expect him to be in the final five looking at the nine riders
Roche literally saved them not cost them in that case!

Warhawk said:
sir fly said:
Fantastic position for TJ.
He doesn't need to work in the mountains at all. He can pick his target and follow.

He ought to remain patient and mark Froome; the other 3 need to make a up a lot of time and will be trying to land knockout blows, Tejay could benefit from that if he's having a good day and the other 3 manage to crack Froome before they crack him.
Exactly.
More than one and a half minute to spend and stay at the podium.
He was great in Dauphine. Froome dug deep to pass him.

TJ is not going to match the very best climbers in the race, Froome, Quintana and Contador unless they are below their best. A podium place probably relies on Contador not recovering enough from the Giro to be any good in the mountains or a crash or a very surprising lack of form from the other two.
Nibali looks weaker but might still beat TJ if he is more like his best in the mountains.
And there is still other riders like Uran and Valverde who have a chance of beating TJ even if TJ does not have a terrible day.

TRENDING THREADS