• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2017 Stage 14 : Blagnac > Rodez 181.5 km

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
deValtos said:
silvergrenade said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Aru was already isolated far from the finish. He had to do everything alone. So he had no chance here.
Do you really believe an isloated Froome/Contador would lose 25 secs on such a finish?
Any GC rider with enough experience would've known that.
He didn't have the legs today

To be fair I did spot a split in the group at about 1.8km to go and Aru was in the 2nd group.
True.

But that's because Aru was riding near the back of the peloton. Something you would never see Froome or Contador doing, even if they're legs were tired.

roundabout said:
silvergrenade said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Aru was already isolated far from the finish. He had to do everything alone. So he had no chance here.
Do you really believe an isloated Froome/Contador would lose 25 secs on such a finish?

An isolated Contador lost just 4 seconds less today
Yes, because Contador of today is the same with old Contador. Oh, wait...

Re: Re:

Irondan said:
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
GuyIncognito said:
Irondan said:
Matthews oozes arrogance...

I don't know why I dislike this guy so much, but I do.

A guy who self titles "Bling", arrogance?
What a shock

The nickname was invented by someone else...

https://cyclingtips.com/2012/02/a-chat-with-michael-matthews/
Which he perpetuated, obviously.

Doesn't matter that someone else gave it to him, he ran with it.

In my experie :lol: nce the more you fight against a nickname the more your friends will make sure it sticks

cantpedal said:
Irondan said:
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
GuyIncognito said:
Irondan said:
Matthews oozes arrogance...

I don't know why I dislike this guy so much, but I do.

A guy who self titles "Bling", arrogance?
What a shock

The nickname was invented by someone else...

https://cyclingtips.com/2012/02/a-chat-with-michael-matthews/
Which he perpetuated, obviously.

Doesn't matter that someone else gave it to him, he ran with it.

In my experie :lol: nce the more you fight against a nickname the more your friends will make sure it sticks
Okay, I'll give you that one.

Friends can make things worse sometimes... :D

silvergrenade said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Contador no. Froome might lose that amount of time if isolated.

I don't agree with you on all accounts. Especially in this type of stage a team is crucial in placement

Oude Geuze said:
Pharazon said:
Frankschleck said:
i think edvald could have come close, had he not started in a bad posistion

story of his career

He had a perfect lead out and positioned in 3rd or 4th wheel. Can't ask for more. Just wasn't strong enough.

Froome has such a cool head, strong understanding of GT racing, really well executed today.

i feel like a lost out because he was behind stybar who made a gap, but yeah story of his life.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
silvergrenade said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Contador no. Froome might lose that amount of time if isolated.

I don't agree with you on all accounts. Especially in this type of stage a team is crucial in placement
I think the Contador of recent years could definitely lose 25 seconds on a finish like this if isolated.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I can see how Aru might mess his positioning up, not as if this finish was important lol. Every man and his dog would know that you need to be at front here.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
woodburn said:
Sunweb having quite the Grand Tour season.

This. They are really punching above their weight. Great, great year for the team. :)
They aren't punching above their weight. They are just executing their long term plan.

Began as the laughing stock in the TDF with Van Hummel. Then they came with Kittel and Degenkolb in GT stage wins. Then Degenkolb with classic wins (MSR, PR), then Dumoulin and Barguil in time trials, climbs and stage races. And now in GT's with those guys. Matthews being the replacement of Degenkolb obviously.
They've become better each season. I rate them just below Sky/Quick Step/Movistar/BMC now (or the 'big budget' teams)

For me that history makes the team much more likeable than the ones which have been founded straight to the top level like Sky.