• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Tour de France 2017 Stage 15: Laissac-l'Église - LePuy

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Moviefan1203 said:
DanielSong39 said:
Moviefan1203 said:
Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'm a firm believer in not taking advantage of a rival with a mechanical. Let them back on, and then let the artillery fly. But I'm also not ignorant to the fact that the yellow jersey gets privileges other don't. Not saying it is right, but it certainly happens.

I'm aware that some people have different opinions but after about the 3rd one people start getting suspicious.

Even if no foul play is involved there comes a point where Sky needs to build a better bike.

Sky certainly needs to have a long talk with Pinarello after the Tour.

That's not why this keeps happening.
The real reason Sky keep having issues with their bikes is because they are so adamant to control every aspect of the race, they even control the 'chaos' by purposefully breaking their bikes.
It's a bit like a controlled explosion.

They know if they completely neutralise the race no-one will watch. But neither can they give power to their opponents. So they purposefully do a 'controlled mechanical.'

All this talk about hiding motors in bikes, the UCI should be checking for some sort of remote controlled device that can cause a mechanical - that is, unless the UCI are in on this too, after all Brian Cookson is British.

Now it all makes sense why Sky were so calm after it happened and how Kwiat reacted so quickly.
They knew it was going to happen!
 
Re:

red_flanders said:
They did give it a go. People were on the rivet. No one was going to break clear for any real time. Martin got away because they were all tired and he buried himself for 12 whole seconds. No way Bardet was strong enough to do that.

I am sure I want Froome to win less than anyone, but he's simply strongest. There is no magic tactic here. Wishful thinking.
They didn't have to break away and go solo. Lifting the tempo by going to the front of the group and going full gas before Froome returned would be enough. If all the doms were burned off and Bardet then took a major pull, it's likely that another captain would have done a real pull after that as well. And then another one. It's at least worth the risk.
 
Damn AG2R wtf?why didn't anyone attack froome and sky when they where behind.thats right bunch of soft *&%$then yates attacks and ag2r chase again wtf?make the yellow jersey chase for god sakes .cant believe I just watched that drivel...
 
Re:

red_flanders said:
They did give it a go. People were on the rivet. No one was going to break clear for any real time. Martin got away because they were all tired and he buried himself for 12 whole seconds. No way Bardet was strong enough to do that.

I am sure I want Froome to win less than anyone, but he's simply strongest. There is no magic tactic here. Wishful thinking.
There's no magic tactic alright. But when the strongest rider is 50 seconds behind with the perfect terrain ahead to create an even bigger gap and you even have some teammates both with you and in the break, you go full gas and hope for the best. Having Gautier or whoever pace your group for a few km is not going full gas. And you do this precisely because Froome is the strongest.

"There's no magic tactic to put time on Froome, who's the strongest! It's impossible, especially with his team! There's nothing we can do! How are we possibly going to drop him, much less put time on him?"
"Huh, turns out Froome is already 50 seconds behind and has only one teammate with him"
"HOW ARE WE POSSIBLY GOING TO DROP HIM"
"The universe just gifted you the perfect race situation, you could just-"
"ALAS, HE'S THE STRONGEST. KEEP UP THE TEMPO"

It's absurd.
 
Re: Re:

Ruby United said:
Moviefan1203 said:
DanielSong39 said:
Moviefan1203 said:
Personally, I wouldn't do it. I'm a firm believer in not taking advantage of a rival with a mechanical. Let them back on, and then let the artillery fly. But I'm also not ignorant to the fact that the yellow jersey gets privileges other don't. Not saying it is right, but it certainly happens.

I'm aware that some people have different opinions but after about the 3rd one people start getting suspicious.

Even if no foul play is involved there comes a point where Sky needs to build a better bike.

Sky certainly needs to have a long talk with Pinarello after the Tour.

That's not why this keeps happening.
The real reason Sky keep having issues with their bikes is because they are so adamant to control every aspect of the race, they even control the 'chaos' by purposefully breaking their bikes.
It's a bit like a controlled explosion.

They know if they completely neutralise the race no-one will watch. But neither can they give power to their opponents. So they purposefully do a 'controlled mechanical.'

All this talk about hiding motors in bikes, the UCI should be checking for some sort of remote controlled device that can cause a mechanical - that is, unless the UCI are in on this too, after all Brian Cookson is British.

Now it all makes sense why Sky were so calm after it happened and how Kwiat reacted so quickly.
They knew it was going to happen!
Sure why not
 
Jul 29, 2016
634
1
0
Visit site
Re:

Jagartrott said:
You have 4 team mates with you, you have one up the road, you have competitors with you that have everything to gain from distancing Froome, Froome himself is down to one team mate (Landa), you're on a hard climb and *still* you decide not to risk it. I find that amazing. Even more amazing is the fact that people here are defending that stance (and calling other opinions 'daft').

It reminds me a bit Festina and Richard Virenque ...
 
Jul 14, 2015
708
0
0
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
Dan Martin said they were in the 'red' when Froome caught back up to them.

If this is your answer to the GC leader 40s behind through no work expended by your own, you don't deserve the GC win. You plain don't have the ability. Better to fall back and target some stage wins.

(Reminds me of Rolland incredulous at the TdF 16 climbs.. "they were doing 350W all the time!")
 
Apr 15, 2016
179
0
0
Visit site
I don't understand wtf the gc contenders were doing , they should have worked together and buried Froome but instead sat back and allowed him to get back on . It's like the tour has been rigged for Sky/Froome to win and that's why they're riding the way they are .

and wtf's up with the endless mechanical's with Froome , every *** stage it seems his hands up for a new bike , i'm glad they made him work a little to get back on this time
 
I'm sure you're all disappointed that Chris Froome did not lose time today. But here are my thoughts on why it didn't happen:

Aru had nothing; he was almost dropped on the last 4th category climb. His best hope is the Astana third week miracle.
Uran follows wheels and there was no one to follow.
Bardet, well, I guess he really didn't have it. Otherwise he would have pushed the tempo further.
Martin's strength are the short ramps and longer distance attacks and he did get 12 seconds at the end. Needs a long-range attack to stick at some point.

So there you go.
 
Re:

DanielSong39 said:
I'm sure you're all disappointed that Chris Froome did not lose time today. But here are my thoughts on why it didn't happen:

Aru had nothing; he was almost dropped on the last 4th category climb. His best hope is the Astana third week miracle.
Uran follows wheels and there was no one to follow.
Bardet, well, I guess he really didn't have it. Otherwise he would have pushed the tempo further.
Martin's strength are the short ramps and longer distance attacks and he did get 12 seconds at the end. Needs a long-range attack to stick at some point.

So there you go.

Or Froome is way stronger than all this bunch when needed.
 
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
DanielSong39 said:
I'm sure you're all disappointed that Chris Froome did not lose time today. But here are my thoughts on why it didn't happen:

Aru had nothing; he was almost dropped on the last 4th category climb. His best hope is the Astana third week miracle.
Uran follows wheels and there was no one to follow.
Bardet, well, I guess he really didn't have it. Otherwise he would have pushed the tempo further.
Martin's strength are the short ramps and longer distance attacks and he did get 12 seconds at the end. Needs a long-range attack to stick at some point.

So there you go.

Or Froome is way stronger than all this bunch when needed.

He was today. Every day is different, though.
 
Re: Re:

red_flanders said:
SeriousSam said:
Benotti69 said:
Dan Martin said they were in the 'red' when Froome caught back up to them.

They were in the red doing the climb 40 seconds slower than Froome? Then there is truly no hope.

Yes. Froome is stronger. Hey may have a bad day in the alps. He was weakened today. It was a good day.
If that is True Froome and Landa can do the 1-2 at this Tour.
 
Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
red_flanders said:
SeriousSam said:
Benotti69 said:
Dan Martin said they were in the 'red' when Froome caught back up to them.

They were in the red doing the climb 40 seconds slower than Froome? Then there is truly no hope.

Yes. Froome is stronger. Hey may have a bad day in the alps. He was weakened today. It was a good day.
If that is True Froome and Landa can do the 1-2 at this Tour.

Free to race his own race? Landa's in th maillot juane right now. Tactics will dictate that it will not end that way, but as far as who's strongest, it's Landa 1 and Froome 2.
 
Re: Re:

red_flanders said:
Escarabajo said:
red_flanders said:
SeriousSam said:
Benotti69 said:
Dan Martin said they were in the 'red' when Froome caught back up to them.

They were in the red doing the climb 40 seconds slower than Froome? Then there is truly no hope.

Yes. Froome is stronger. Hey may have a bad day in the alps. He was weakened today. It was a good day.
If that is True Froome and Landa can do the 1-2 at this Tour.

Free to race his own race? Landa's in th maillot juane right now. Tactics will dictate that it will not end that way, but as far as who's strongest, it's Landa 1 and Froome 2.

What about the TT though?
 
Apr 15, 2016
179
0
0
Visit site
Re:

DanielSong39 said:
I'm sure you're all disappointed that Chris Froome did not lose time today. But here are my thoughts on why it didn't happen:

Aru had nothing; he was almost dropped on the last 4th category climb. His best hope is the Astana third week miracle.
Uran follows wheels and there was no one to follow.
Bardet, well, I guess he really didn't have it. Otherwise he would have pushed the tempo further.
Martin's strength are the short ramps and longer distance attacks and he did get 12 seconds at the end. Needs a long-range attack to stick at some point.

So there you go.

you make up non sense for the most part then throw in a "so there you go" and you think that explains the strange behavior of the gc contenders ? Maybe Aru didn't have the legs today but that doesn't excuse Uran/Bardet/Martin who were all going well from attacking regardless of how you try to explain it .

There's no rational reason to keep racing stage after stage like they have unless they aren't trying to win for some reason and it doesn't have anything to do with my desire to see Froome lose time . It just really doesn't make any freaking sense how they're racing .
 
Re: Re:

red_flanders said:
Escarabajo said:
red_flanders said:
SeriousSam said:
Benotti69 said:
Dan Martin said they were in the 'red' when Froome caught back up to them.

They were in the red doing the climb 40 seconds slower than Froome? Then there is truly no hope.

Yes. Froome is stronger. Hey may have a bad day in the alps. He was weakened today. It was a good day.
If that is True Froome and Landa can do the 1-2 at this Tour.

Free to race his own race? Landa's in th maillot juane right now. Tactics will dictate that it will not end that way, but as far as who's strongest, it's Landa 1 and Froome 2.
The best climber isnt always the strongest..
The best all rounder is the strongest in a GT..
 

TRENDING THREADS