• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019 stage 4: Reims > Nancy 213,5 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Really depends on how they race it (and before). Groenewegen got dropped after 8 km in the TTT on a section of - what - 2, 3%? Yes, he was probably suffering more from his fall then than now, but today and yesterday are both >200 km stages. Steels has said it's possible to shed riders there, I believe him. It will require a very dedicated effort though, and after the côte as well, to keep dropped riders from making it back.

Re: Re:

Cinemaniak said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
F_Cance said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Jagartrott said:
It's a 3 km climb, that's enough to shed some heavy-weights. Teams like Bora and Sunweb would be stupid not to race this 100%. And if the pace is too slow, perhaps some punchers will try their luck, inspired by Alaphilippe.
Yep, every single pure sprinter was dropped here back in 2014.
2014 had one climb more though
Forgot all about that.

The last climb may indeed not be a problem then if it's never much above 5%. Does anyone have a detailed profile of the last hill?
Yes, and it's even less difficult than imagined I guess. Every sprinter has the ability to survive those 2,5km 'steeper' section.
https://www.climbbybike.com/profile/Côte_de_maron_profile.jpg
Thanks. Don't remember what happened in 2005, but it def. looks hard enough to drop the pure sprinters ..if the teams want to. Can't see Groenewegen nor Greipel sprinting today.

Re:

Logic-is-your-friend said:
https://twitter.com/DeGendtThomas/status/1148283406385655808

Thomas De Gendt @DeGendtThomas
Found a familiar jersey in my room. Finders keepers

D--FqgMXkAA3YEF

That jersey does look *** stupid.

Whoever mentioned that a couple days ago was totally right imo.

I've cut previous posts due to quote limit.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Thanks. Don't remember what happened in 2005, but it def. looks hard enough to drop the pure sprinters ..if the teams want to. Can't see Groenewegen nor Greipel sprinting today.
In 2005 Bernucci and Vino went away after the climb then Auge (I think was him but I'm not totally sure) slipped in the last corner and half of the peloton went down so gaps (excluding first two and some behind) were neutralized.
With good weather I don't think it's possible to go away in that way and I think the finale isn't the same but according to what they posted on the Italian forum there is a very narrow road with a turn at around 1,5 kms to go so a big crash could happen again even if dry and eventual gaps will be neutralized again.

Anyway will be interesting to see if Alaphilippe will take his place in the Quick-Step train, I think last time with a yellow jersey working in a sprint train was with Wiggins in 2012.

Red Rick said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Jagartrott said:
It's a 3 km climb, that's enough to shed some heavy-weights. Teams like Bora and Sunweb would be stupid not to race this 100%. And if the pace is too slow, perhaps some punchers will try their luck, inspired by Alaphilippe.
In 2014 they had another, harder climb after it which was also closer to the finish.

Still, if sunweb and bora do go all out and also manage to sustain their effort on the flat some sprinters might be dropped. Guess we will see this afternoon, I find it hard to predict

Kwibus said:
Red Rick said:
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Jagartrott said:
In 2014 they had another, harder climb after it which was also closer to the finish.

Still, if sunweb and bora do go all out and also manage to sustain their effort on the flat some sprinters might be dropped. Guess we will see this afternoon, I find it hard to predict

If Groenewegen wins the stage, the other sprint teams deserve what they get. He’s the worst climber of the main sprinters there and he’s carrying the effects of a crash. It’s a matter of basic common sense to eliminate him on the climb.

Laplaz said:
DJ Sprtsch said:
Jagartrott said:
Laplaz said:
Left turn with 1.4 km to go. Are they crazy?

2.jpg
Bike path to the right seems OK, then cut through the bushes later on. Then win.

Think you got the wrong road there. If you look at the map in the roadbook, it's on the other side of the bus station.
I checked it and it should be the right one :confused:
Are you discussing the same stage?

Laplaz said:
DJ Sprtsch said:
Jagartrott said:
Laplaz said:
Left turn with 1.4 km to go. Are they crazy?

2.jpg
Bike path to the right seems OK, then cut through the bushes later on. Then win.

Think you got the wrong road there. If you look at the map in the roadbook, it's on the other side of the bus station.
I checked it and it should be the right one :confused:
I think they go from the roundabout, smooth left curve and then along the river?
In the roadbook, on p.65.

edit: ha ha, it is the same road! Just appears so much bigger when looking from above, compared to street view!

TRENDING THREADS