• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah, but Mars also has a somewhat arbitrarily defined zero elevation point, much like sea level on earth. Olympus Mons is a bit more than 21km above that level, not above the lowest point on Mars. Actually, about 1000km west of Olympus Mons there are some plains which are lower than the zero elevation level of Mars. If you go from there, there is about 26km of elevation gain before you reach the summit of Olympus Mons (but you might not want to add 1000km of false flat to your profile of the climb).

If you count mountain islands from their base on the ocean floor, Mauna Kea is actually the highest mountain on earth, but still about twice as low as Olympus Mons. (I mean, the definitions of where exactly a mountain starts are ambiguous, but if you want to call Eurasia a mountain and Mount Everest its peak, go ahead and claim Everest is still the tallest mountain of the world, even if you are counting from the ocean floor.)

802px-Olympus_Mons_Side_View.svg.png

(This is getting very off-topic, but let's be honest, silly jokes about cycling on Mars and even pedantry about the definitions of measuring the height of mountains is more interesting than what we know so far about the route of the TDF in 2019 ;))

That 24% PdBF rumor sounds so much like one of those stupid attempts of the ASO to create a mythical mountain, which will fail terribly. This is the exact same garbage they already tried to do when they decided to climb the airstrip in Peyragudes last year just to get some crazy gradients into their stage. They wanted to create a mythical high mountain stage and instead made sure all favorites waited for the final 500m to make an uphill sprint.
I'm all in for super high gradients and gravel but putting them into the final kilometer is just stupid. The comment of Stephane Boury who claimed "this will be some show" just shows how clueless the route designers of that race are. The ASO already makes me angry when they deliberately make their race boring but when they actually want to make something exciting and still fail, it annoys me even more.

At this point I'm starting to believe ASO are reading cycling fora and just actively try to make *** nauseatingly boring and repetitive. I'm already *** done with the 2019 route.

What's the rumours for 2020? I'm gonna guess starting with a flat stage Nice-Nice?

What's more?

And i've even got excited, when seeing that tweet with 24%. Thought that France now has Bala v2.0 so i can expect a Vuelta-esque murito galore with paving goat tracks to the middle of nowhere. I still need to catch up with the latest rumours (i know of Reims, Rethel, Thionville, Touluse, possible Lausanne and a stage around Gap) but PDBF? I mean... ok, but it's getting really stale. Vosges have more to offer than just PDBF. I'm not sure, where this goat track starts. If it's fom the other side then you can combine it with Ballon d'Alsace.

I guess for 2020 you can expect ASO giving the title to Balaphilippe without even racing.

Re:

Red Rick said:
At this point I'm starting to believe ASO are reading cycling fora and just actively try to make **** nauseatingly boring and repetitive. I'm already **** done with the 2019 route.

What's the rumours for 2020? I'm gonna guess starting with a flat stage Nice-Nice?

What's more?

If they start with mass start stage in 2020, I would like to see punchy finish like 2008 (won by Valverde) or 2011 (Gilbert). Since then there has been four openers for sprinters (Kittel x2, Cavendish, Gaviria) with fifth in 2019.

At least Aix-en-Provence could give last two kilometres with about 50 metres of climbing.

Re: Re:

Finn84 said:
Red Rick said:
At this point I'm starting to believe ASO are reading cycling fora and just actively try to make **** nauseatingly boring and repetitive. I'm already **** done with the 2019 route.

What's more?

If they start with mass start stage in 2020, I would like to see punchy finish like 2008 (won by Valverde) or 2011 (Gilbert). Since then there has been four openers for sprinters (Kittel x2, Cavendish, Gaviria) with fifth in 2019.

At least Aix-en-Provence could give last two kilometres with about 50 metres of climbing.
The finish will definitely be on Promenade des Anglais (where it always is) and it's as flat as a table. However, if they'll manage to make an entirely flat Nice - Nice stage, then i may start respecting them as it's nay impossible.

As for the rumours for 2019. Possible next two stages are Binche - Reims and Rethel - Thionville, while the next stage could depart from Metz. It seems also Touluse will have a stage depart (possibly after the 1st rest day with a finish in Bonascre?) and Gap will have a (probably very short) stage around the city. Knowng ASO it'll be 3 or 4 laps criterium with Manse. For the Pyrenees there are some talks of a very short stage from Campan to Gavarnie (a possible copy of the Route du Sud stage) preceeded by a Bagneres-de-Bigorre finish after a triptique of Ancizan, Aspin and Beyrede. However, i guess some of the rumours are a wishful thinking.

Gigs_98 said:
That 24% PdBF rumor sounds so much like one of those stupid attempts of the ASO to create a mythical mountain, which will fail terribly. This is the exact same garbage they already tried to do when they decided to climb the airstrip in Peyragudes last year just to get some crazy gradients into their stage. They wanted to create a mythical high mountain stage and instead made sure all favorites waited for the final 500m to make an uphill sprint.
I'm all in for super high gradients and gravel but putting them into the final kilometer is just stupid. The comment of Stephane Boury who claimed "this will be some show" just shows how clueless the route designers of that race are. The ASO already makes me angry when they deliberately make their race boring but when they actually want to make something exciting and still fail, it annoys me even more.
If they want gradients, Pays Basque has that. Burdincurutcheta by the toughest side, then game on with ways to go around the mountain to finish with Beillurti or another variation of Arnosteguy. Or do AdH, Sarennes down :eek:
and get the sterrato after L2Alpes climbing part of, or all the Jandri...the list goes on and on. LPDBF has become a Kardashian. Vosges? Grand Ballon via Moosch...

Re:

Laplaz said:
http://www.larepubliquedespyrenees.fr/2018/09/20/cyclisme-les-premieres-infos-sur-le-trace-du-tour-de-france-2019,2427229.php

La Republique des Pyrenees announced a MTF on Tourmalet for the next edition.
The originality is killing me

That said, it's gonna be Vosges/Pyrenees/Alps? If the Tourmalet is the first Pyrenees stage, it wouldn't be that bad stage design wise.

Red Rick said:
Laplaz said:
http://www.larepubliquedespyrenees.fr/2018/09/20/cyclisme-les-premieres-infos-sur-le-trace-du-tour-de-france-2019,2427229.php

That said, it's gonna be Vosges/Pyrenees/Alps? If the Tourmalet is the first Pyrenees stage, it wouldn't be that bad stage design wise.
It should be the second Pyrenees stage. The first should end in Bagneres de Bigorre. Of course it would be better the other way round, first the MTF and then the downhill finish. But ASO is ASO :(

Next year it's 100 years since the introduction of yellow jersey. I wonder if that is honoured some way. It was first used on a stage from Grenoble to Geneve. On those days stages were longer but even nowadays those two cities are close enough to form a stage. Would be "medium mountain stage" IMO.

Red Rick said:
Laplaz said:

Considering I heard stage 14, and if the Tourmalet is the first stage, then yes, that would actually be pretty terrible. But I get your point about it being the first stage in the sequence.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site

railxmig said:
Finn84 said:
Red Rick said:

What's more?

The finish will definitely be on Promenade des Anglais (where it always is) and it's as flat as a table. However, if they'll manage to make an entirely flat Nice - Nice stage, then i may start respecting them as it's nay impossible.

As for the rumours for 2019. Possible next two stages are Binche - Reims and Rethel - Thionville, while the next stage could depart from Metz. It seems also Touluse will have a stage depart (possibly after the 1st rest day with a finish in Bonascre?) and Gap will have a (probably very short) stage around the city. Knowng ASO it'll be 3 or 4 laps criterium with Manse. For the Pyrenees there are some talks of a very short stage from Campan to Gavarnie (a possible copy of the Route du Sud stage) preceeded by a Bagneres-de-Bigorre finish after a triptique of Ancizan, Aspin and Beyrede. However, i guess some of the rumours are a wishful thinking.

I would prefer Aix en Provence to Mt. Ventoux, this would be great stage at the begining!

The general layout seems to be: Brussels-Vosges-Massif Central-Pyrenees-Alps.
According to some French forums (velowire, le gruppetto) it should be something like this
(with *= wild guess - *****= confirmed by ASO)

1) Brussels - Brussels, flat (*****)
2) Brussels - Brussels, medium length TTT (*****)
3) Binche - Reims, flat-slightly hilly (****)
4) Rethel - Thionville, slightly hilly (****)
5) Nancy - La Bresse/Hohneck, very hilly-medium mountains(with hilltop finish?) (****)
6) Mulhouse - La Planche des Belles Filles, medium mountains + mtf (****)
7) Luxeil-les-Bains - Mâcon, flat (***)
8) to Montbrison or Saint-Etienne, hilly (***)
9) to Brioude (medium mountains, using Col du Béal) (***)
the second monday and tuesday will be a restday and a stage to Saint-Flour (***), but it can be restday-race day or race day-restday.
11) to Toulouse or surroundings, flat (***)
12) to Bagnères-de-Bigorre, medium mountains (***)
13) Sainte-Marie de Campan - Lac de Payolle, short medium mountain ITT (***) (in memory of Eugene Christophe, who had to forge his broken bike back together in Saint-Marie-de-Campan in 1919)
14) Tarbes - Col du Tourmalet, mountains + mtf (****)
15) to Perpignan, medium mountains (long transfer between stage 14 and 15?) (**)
restday 2
16) itt pont du Gard (**)
17) to Gap, hilly-medium mountains (**)
18) to Lans-en-Vercors( mountainous, similar to the Dauphiné stage of this year) (**)
19) Grenoble - Méribel (mountains + mtf) (**)
20) ???
21) flat parade to the Champs Elysées (****)

rghysens said:
The general layout seems to be: Brussels-Vosges-Massif Central-Pyrenees-Alps.
According to some French forums (velowire, le gruppetto) it should be something like this
(with *= wild guess - *****= confirmed by ASO)

1) Brussels - Brussels, flat (*****)
2) Brussels - Brussels, medium length TTT (*****)
3) Binche - Reims, flat-slightly hilly (****)
4) Rethel - Thionville, slightly hilly (****)
5) Nancy - La Bresse/Hohneck, very hilly-medium mountains(with hilltop finish?) (****)
6) Mulhouse - La Planche des Belles Filles, medium mountains + mtf (****)
7) Luxeil-les-Bains - Mâcon, flat (***)
8) to Montbrison or Saint-Etienne, hilly (***)
9) to Brioude (medium mountains, using Col du Béal) (***)
the second monday and tuesday will be a restday and a stage to Saint-Flour (***), but it can be restday-race day or race day-restday.
11) to Toulouse or surroundings, flat (***)
12) to Bagnères-de-Bigorre, medium mountains (***)
13) Sainte-Marie de Campan - Lac de Payolle, short medium mountain ITT (***) (in memory of Eugene Christophe, who had to forge his broken bike back together in Saint-Marie-de-Campan in 1919)
14) Tarbes - Col du Tourmalet, mountains + mtf (****)
15) to Perpignan, medium mountains (long transfer between stage 14 and 15?) (**)
restday 2
16) itt pont du Gard (**)
17) to Gap, hilly-medium mountains (**)
18) to Lans-en-Vercors( mountainous, similar to the Dauphiné stage of this year) (**)
19) Grenoble - Méribel (mountains + mtf) (**)
20) ???
21) flat parade to the Champs Elysées (****)

If true, the first week seems to be quite atypical with almost no really flat sprint stages apart from the abysmal first stage and stage 7.

I also think you can add another star to stage 21...

TRENDING THREADS