• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

lartiste said:
Have you ever seen champion to crash 3 times per Tour? If I remember correctly I have seen LA crashing just after the comeback, not 99 - 05 period, same with Contador, who started to crash latter in the carrier when he did not win Tour again. I do not remember Big Mig to crash 91 - 95, even Riis crashed 97 and not 96. Same with Ulrich ... .
Wasn’t it 86 when Hinault broke his nose in a fall?m
Edit; No! It was 85, the year he won his last Tour!

Re:

lartiste said:
Have you ever seen champion to crash 3 times per Tour? If I remember correctly I have seen LA crashing just after the comeback, not 99 - 05 period, same with Contador, who started to crash latter in the carrier when he did not win Tour again. I do not remember Big Mig to crash 91 - 95, even Riis crashed 97 and not 96. Same with Ulrich ... .
Froome, AIRC, has crashed on every Tour he won.

Re: Re:

klintE said:
lartiste said:
Froome, AIRC, has crashed on every Tour he won.
And on stage 1 last year.

Will the strongest riders in the Pyrenees also be the strongest in the Alps? Someone who was good last week can still get a bad day in the third week. The heat, the high expectations, the succession of climbs can demand their toll. Pinot could finish it off if he still has the legs, but he's not rid of the Ineos duo yet. The final climbs aren't that steep, so it will be about endurance over three weeks more than about explosivity. Kruijswijk should be one of the most consistent, but he complained about the heat. Even Buchmann and Landa aren't completely out of it. Logic would have Alaphilippe crack and lose minutes, but you never know.

Re:

Pantani_lives said:
Will the strongest riders in the Pyrenees also be the strongest in the Alps? Someone who was good last week can still get a bad day in the third week. The heat, the high expectations, the succession of climbs can demand their toll. Pinot could finish it off if he still has the legs, but he's not rid of the Ineos duo yet. The final climbs aren't that steep, so it will be about endurance over three weeks more than about explosivity. Kruijswijk should be one of the most consistent, but he complained about the heat. Even Buchmann and Landa aren't completely out of it. Logic would have Alaphilippe crack and lose minutes, but you never know.
Completely out of it? He isn't remotely out of it.

Koronin said:
Scarponi said:
Doesn’t matter out of the top 5 who wins this tour, it will go down as one of the weakest climbing performances in the modern peloton. Bar Pinot and small Bernal attacks no one has really
Done anything

2011 bad or worse?
2011 was such a weird one. It seemed like nobody even tried in the pyrenees and then in the alps we never got a shootout on the last climb to properly compare climbing performances. However if you ask me, of this current peloton I don't think anyone could have done what andy did on the galibier stage.

Koronin said:
Scarponi said:
Doesn’t matter out of the top 5 who wins this tour, it will go down as one of the weakest climbing performances in the modern peloton. Bar Pinot and small Bernal attacks no one has really
Done anything

2011 bad or worse?

3rd week of 2011 was awesome in the mountains certainly far more attacking than this year. This year was good because so many contenders and hard to predict who might win. In 2011 Contador courageous despite Giro legs and early race crashes. The Galibier stage 18 with Schleck's 60km raid and Evans dropping the entire GC bar Andy and Frank one of the most amazing stages of the last 20 years at least. Then add 16 (Contador), 17 (Contador) and 19 (Contador again).

When Contador is involved you cannot claim it was a weak climbing field.

Cookster15 said:
Koronin said:
Scarponi said:
Done anything

2011 bad or worse?

3rd week of 2011 was awesome in the mountains certainly far more attacking than this year. This year was good because so many contenders and hard to predict who might win. In 2011 Contador courageous despite Giro legs and early race crashes. The Galibier stage 18 with Schleck's 60km raid and Evans dropping the entire GC bar Andy and Frank one of the most amazing stages of the last 20 years at least. Then add 16 (Contador), 17 (Contador) and 19 (Contador again).

When Contador is involved you cannot claim it was a weak climbing field.

Next year 21 flat stages. The best Tour in all times. No bonus. All to be decided on stage 21 a les Champs Elyseeeees
A lot of contenders on the same time :D

Pricey_sky said:
RedheadDane said:
Err… just a question:
There are two cat 4 climbs tomorrow; the KOM might not be settled today?

Is it only 2pts for a cat 4 though, I think Bardet is 8 clear

Obviously it's settled now, but imagine if Bernal had taken the jersey today, Bardet had been only 3 points behind: Might he have attacked to get those last points and the jersey?
(I don't think Bernal would have attempted to get the jersey, even if possible.)

RedheadDane said:
Pricey_sky said:
RedheadDane said:
Err… just a question:
There are two cat 4 climbs tomorrow; the KOM might not be settled today?

Is it only 2pts for a cat 4 though, I think Bardet is 8 clear

Obviously it's settled now, but imagine if Bernal had taken the jersey today, Bardet had been only 3 points behind: Might he have attacked to get those last points and the jersey?
(I don't think Bernal would have attempted to get the jersey, even if possible.)

Yeah I think in that case Bardet would probably have tried to get the points. Bernal would have too busy sipping champagne at the back.

TRENDING THREADS