• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 11 (Châtelaillon-Plage - Poitiers, 167.5 km)

The only sprint stage in this Tour that follows another sprint stage... this won't be the longest of opening posts.

Map

7e347

Timetable
Start: 13:25
Côte de Cherveux: 15:39/15:44/15:50
Intermediate sprint: 16:01/16:07/16:14
Finish: 17:18/17:28/17:39

Climbs
Côte de Cherveux is the easiest categorised climb of the race, even the rise just before the intermediate sprint (2.6k at 3.3%) is harder (Bora might try to pressure Bennett here). Links to the profiles are here and here.

Finish
Slightly trickier than the official profile shows. The rise from the river is a little over a kilometer at about 3%, then the road ramps up again in the final 350 meters.
stage-11-finish-route.jpg

TZXuv8I.png

General classification after Stage 10
  1. Primoz Roglic
  2. Egan Bernal + 0.21
  3. Guillaume Martin + 0.28
  4. Romain Bardet + 0.30
  5. Nairo Quintana + 0.32
  6. Rigoberto Uran s.t.
  7. Tadej Pogacar + 0.44
  8. Adam Yates + 1.02
  9. Miguel Ángel López + 1.15
  10. Mikel Landa + 1.42
Points classification after Stage 10
  1. Sam Bennett 196
  2. Peter Sagan 175
  3. Bryan Coquard 129
  4. Matteo Trentin 123
  5. Wout van Aert 111
Mountains classification after Stage 10
  1. Benoît Cosnefroy 36
  2. Nans Peters 31
  3. Marc Hirschi 26
  4. Ilnur Zakarin 25
  5. Toms Skujins 24
Young riders classification after Stage 10
  1. Egan Bernal
  2. Tadej Pogacar + 0.23
  3. Enric Mas + 1.41
  4. Sergio Higuita + 5.47
  5. Harold Tejada + 45.02

Uphill sprint, easy Ewan win.

I think Bora will drill it before the intermediate sprint to ensure that Bennett can't be at the front of the peloton there. He will not be dropped but that isn't necessary.
It's hard to read the profile 100% accurately, but I don't think that lump in the road will be enough to dislodge Bennett. He's pretty good on climbs close to the finish.

It's hard to read the profile 100% accurately, but I don't think that lump in the road will be enough to dislodge Bennett. He's pretty good on climbs close to the finish.

Well, if there indeed is an incline, there isn't much to discuss. Ewan is simply lighter and can't be beaten on a short incline. It has nothing to do with dislodging, Ewan just loses less speed if it's uphill, it's pretty elementary physics and he has demonstrated it tons of times. The question is if there really is an incline.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Well, if there indeed is an incline, there isn't much to discuss. Ewan is simply lighter and can't be beaten on a short incline. It has nothing to do with dislodging, Ewan just loses less speed if it's uphill, it's pretty elementary physics and he has demonstrated it tons of times. The question is if there really is an incline.
I'm not sure whether it's about the "g", "a" or "p" vector, but Ewan's inertial measure certainly is the lowest.

I thought you were referring to Bora drilling the incline before the intermediate. I can't see him getting dropped on that.

Ewan is smaller than other sprinters, but sprinting never comes down to just physics.

Reactions: ppanther92
Cosnefroy is surely going to get dismantled by someone from Friday onwards. There's enough good climbers whose primary goal is over who could salvage a bit of pride in polka dots.

yeah, that competition is sort of temporarily suspended in between the early contest to wear it for a while and the later contest to win it. I just hope that the later “contest” doesn’t just consist of one big name whose GC ambitions are over grabbing a load of points quickly and everyone else giving up

TRENDING THREADS