• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 11 (Châtelaillon-Plage - Poitiers, 167.5 km)

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A LOT.

Try re-watching the bunch sprints this Tour, and look at the fight for position, the last kilometre - they are all bumping each other constantly, incl. Bennett.

The reason we see guys like Sagan do it closer to the finish line, is because they have no train to deliver them in perfect position, so they have to fight their way through.

But the actual pushing and showing they all do, the sprinters with a proper train just do it slightly further from the line.
Yeah, except that Van Aert and Ewan also have no train and don't need to resort to shoulder barges. During the sprint, I've only seen Sagan and Bennett doing it this Tour. And Bennett's infringement was pretty minor. Clean sprinting should be applauded. And it doesn't impede excitement - Ewan's first win was fantastic sprinting, without ever doing something wrong.

I think people are making this a way bigger issue than it is.

Van Aert was moved about 30 centimeters by a slight bump, it happens all day, every day in cycling.

I agree with him being declassed, because he did impede Van Aert's sprint, but people talking about Sagan being DQd over such a small action are crazy IMO :)
Never said he should be DQd, it's too much obviously. I said that something should be done and the relegation is the correct penalty.

A LOT.

Try re-watching the bunch sprints this Tour, and look at the fight for position, the last kilometre - they are all bumping each other constantly, incl. Bennett.

The reason we see guys like Sagan do it closer to the finish line, is because they have no train to deliver them in perfect position, so they have to fight their way through.

But the actual pushing and showing they all do, the sprinters with a proper train just do it slightly further from the line.
I agree. Although one might argue that it is more dangerous to bump into other riders in a sprint than 3 km's from the finish. In the end I find that the relegation is OK, but I have seen examples of this happening before with no punishment. And for this reason let's at least just hope that the jury will be consistent from now on.

On another note, I don't understand all this hatred towards Sagan. It is clearly not dispassionate men that pull the levers on this forum. Not that we as cycling fans are expected to be dispassionate men, but the reactions here are bordering on the extreme and seems to not contain much nuance.

Is a sprint at 70kph, a small bump can be dramatic, nothing happened here regarding accidents, but something needs to be corrected in order to avoid future crashs in the finish line because of those actions...

We could stop the race 300 meters from the finish line, line all the sprinters up in a straight line, and tell them to sprint to the line side by side, that would take care of all the pushing and showing :)

Seriously? There's a line there. From the start of his sprint until he gets the stomp, WVA maybe moves 20 cm left and 20 cm right. You can't sprint much more in a straight line than that. Sagan speculated on a gap opening up. The gap was too tight - OK, then that's bad luck and you try another day.
That is oh so easy to say. This is the moment that Sagan decides to start sprinting for the gap:
2bbb5040-f17a-4ca4-8b84-81470d586706.jpg

Seems to be a gap. A tiny gap, but a bigger gap than Ackermann had to be sure. This is the moment Wout drifts slightly left (not that it was intentional, but there he is):
2589600c-fa7e-46b4-b890-2a8dd81facfc.jpg

At this point what do you do? His momentum is carrying him into van Aert. He can slam the brakes and risk being crashed into, and will likely bump into Wout anyways without any chance to position himself as he is reaching for the brakes. He can crash into the barrier. Or he can bump into Van Aert. He has milliseconds to decide.

Again, the risky move is taking the line at all. The rest is just punishing riders for the consequences, not their decisions.

Expect all hell to break loose by BORA tomorrow and on Friday's stages? Sagan can gain back massive points if he wins tomorrow and take the intermediate sprint of Friday, maybe even try to OOT Bennett. He doesn't look too good on the climbs, and the third week is brutal

I don’t think he is generally hated. I mean he’s one of the most successful riders and one of the more flamboyant personalities, so of course he has both fans and detractors but he’s more loved than loathed on average. I have a problem with the way he’s been sprinting in this race, which has been consistently too physical.
I never loathed or loved him. I admired his skill and results but sometimes his behavior has been a bit boorish and childish but he seems to have grown out of that. I didn't see much wrong with the sprint but I don't have a real problem with the decision either. Ten years ago no one would have blinked. The sport has changed and I guess what happened in Poland is still on a lot of people's minds. Compared to now the sprints from 20 years ago were filthy but the riders seemed to accept it most of the time. Time's change for good and bad. If they are going to clean up the sprints maybe they should also work on the routes as well............

That is oh so easy to say. This is the moment that Sagan decides to start sprinting for the gap:

Seems to be a gap. A tiny gap, but a bigger gap than Ackermann had to be sure. This is the moment Wout drifts slightly left (not that it was intentional, but there he is):

At this point what do you do? His momentum is carrying him into van Aert. He can slam the brakes and risk being crashed into, and will likely bump into Wout anyways without any chance to position himself as he is reaching for the brakes. He can crash into the barrier. Or he can bump into Van Aert. He has milliseconds to decide.

Again, the risky move is taking the line at all. The rest is just punishing riders for the consequences, not their decisions.
Sagan boxed himself, just stop sprinting and fight another day, that's it...

This picture tells it all.

No idea what you are referring to?

Sagae appears to come in 3rd alone, ahead of the peloton?
he body-checked the yellow rider, some seconds after the video starts. At the bottom of the screen.
check another point of view here:

Yeah, except that Van Aert and Ewan also have no train and don't need to resort to shoulder barges. During the sprint, I've only seen Sagan and Bennett doing it this Tour. And Bennett's infringement was pretty minor. Clean sprinting should be applauded. And it doesn't impede excitement - Ewan's first win was fantastic sprinting, without ever doing something wrong.

As a Dane, I watch Moerkoev quite a lot during sprint finishes, and because many of the sprinters want his wheel, there is constantly a lot of pushing and showing going on right behind him, around Bennett.

I have seen most sprinters doing it this race, with Van Aert and Ewan being the notable exceptions.

Van Aert probably because he is not really a sprinter, and as such not used to the fight for position in the same way - and Ewan rarely engages in that kind of thing, probably because he is too light to put up a fight anyway.

Reactions: richwallone
Jury got it right, DQ is appropriate and enough. Sagan used the push to open space that simply wasn't there, and continued to deviate from the line afterwards. Too aggressive.

Only problem is that it doesn't help Wout, who I think would have won w/o the head-butt.

he body-checked the yellow rider, some seconds after the video starts. At the bottom of the screen.
check another point of view here:

Now I see it.

Was that payback for something?

Seems unnecessary otherwise :)