• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 13 (Châtel-Guyon - Puy Mary, 191.5 km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If the break is allowed to go far enough up the road (enough to take the stage win), I'm not sure how intense the GC battle will be at the end, since the bonus seconds on the penultimate climb and finish will no longer be available. I could be wrong (and often am).
It probably makes them less passive at the very top of the GC cause they're not waiting to outsprint each other.

Reactions: JosephK
If the break is allowed to go far enough up the road (enough to take the stage win), I'm not sure how intense the GC battle will be at the end, since the bonus seconds on the penultimate climb and finish will no longer be available. I could be wrong (and often am).
With so many categorized climbs through the day, and double digit grades in the final 2km, there will be riders hurting when the GC group gets near the end. Someone will let a gap open, and the others will just have to pile on and put time into them by default. If someone has good/bad legs it will make a much bigger difference than an 8 second time bonus.

Reactions: JosephK
For GC contenders and their teams, this is going to be a nervous stage. A lot of dynamic terrain to cover, a lot of narrow roads and likely mano a mano type of finish. Likely GC contenders won't be fighting for a stage win.

P.S. But you never know, as the summit doesn't have enough space for media people. Maybe Roglič will say, heck that suits me, lets win.

Reactions: Sandisfan
This has Roglic written all over it. Not sure whether he can actually win the stage because I expect a lot of strong riders trying to get into the break but this finishing climb suits him really really well. Think this is about damage limitation for everyone else.

With that steep climb at the end is basically very difficult not to have GC differences and therefore a battle of GC.
I just hope someone tries something before it gets to there. There will obviously be differences in the final 2km, but it would be depressing if everyone were to wait until there to do anything. If they do, it'll just be Primoz winning the wrestle-with-your-32-out-the-saddle contest.

Maybe another bonus for Roglic but the break probably has a good shot. Someone like Rolland maybe, De Gendt might look for something easier. Zakarin has his usual issues with descents but will probably try anyway. GC top 10 should get a shake up at least. Pogacar probably won't be able to restrain himself, Jumbo will probably take a wait and see attitude. Quintana, Landa and others get another chance to show what they have. Be nice to see Quintana risk his position on GC and go all in but he probably won't. Never really been his style. I think they have to at least test Roglic's legs and Pogacar would be the obvious one to try. Whether he can continue to keep doing that until the TT remains to be seen. I thought Bernal showed some improvement on the previous climbing stage. Richie Porte's final chance for another top five GC result ? Losing a chunk of time here will mean the end for that aim. If he can stay in contact with riders like Landa on GC the time trial should move him up.

I think a large break group will form. Someone in this group will be around 8 - 10 minutes behind yellow jersey. And group will finish the race around 11 minutes before Yellow jersey so Roglič will loose it. In last climb Roglič does nothing, then Bernal attacks with Roglič and Pogačar following wheels. Then Pogačar goes and doesn't look back. Roglič again on his wheel, Bernal falls behind but catches them before finish.

TRENDING THREADS