• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 13 (Châtel-Guyon - Puy Mary, 191.5 km)

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Point is buddy, that had JV not eased up, it wouldn't matter what the groupetto decided, they would never had made it back :)

yes of course, old pal, but if the grupetto hadn’t decided to get a move on and take advantage of the peloton easing off after the break was fully established, they’d be tootling around with Caleb and Roger and looking at a very long day in the saddle

Idk, I really think most riders are gonna be fine. I feel like some people are overrating this stage a bit, like sure, it's difficult but some here are making it sound like it's historically difficult, which it really isn't. It's not even among the most difficult stages of this Tour

Most riders will certainly be fine. It’s eased off, the terrain is tough but not insane. The question at this point is why exactly are four guys more than ten minutes behind already.

Idk, I really think most riders are gonna be fine. I feel like some people are overrating this stage a bit, like sure, it's difficult but some here are making it sound like it's historically difficult, which it really isn't. It's not even among the most difficult stages of this Tour

Yeah I guess it won't be a problem for anyone in the peloton right now but Ewan is still a couple of minutes further behind with only two teammates and one other rider. If the peloton doesn't slow down enough for them to join or they reach a bigger grupetto I think it's gonna be a difficult day for them with over 100km still to go.

Tbf, I didn't actually watch the first hour, but I think I can imagine how it went cause, you know, hectic starts happen and they are called hectic starts because eventually things calm down a bit. And that's happening already

Yeah, but it was not just hectic, it was complete carnage for over an hour. Not saying it was the toughest stage ever or something, but it was more than your usual very hectic start.

There's something about medium mountain stages that are up and down all day that makes people wet themselves even if the climbs are in all the wrong places and the stage in the wrong place in the race.

Even with the final 2km being steep, I think the Pog, Roglic and Bernal leave it all the way til the final 500m to attack here.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
There's something about medium mountain stages that are up and down all day that makes people wet themselves even if the climbs are in all the wrong places and the stage in the wrong place in the race.

Even with the final 2km being steep, I think the Pog, Roglic and Bernal leave it all the way til the final 500m to attack here.

But it's not really in the wrong place in the race.

I mean, the GC guys are coming off 4 reasonably easy days (rest day, 10-12), and tomorrow is not a GC stage. Sure they have a decisive stage ahead on stage 15, but if you're one of the 10-15 guys at the top of the general classification and and feeling 'sensations', then imo it would be crazy not to try to take some reasonable time on at least some of your rivals on at least the final two climbs today.

Even if your projected form trajectory is to be continually improving (at least compared to your rivals), there is no guarantee that it will be a steady upward curve, and Bernal for example just might be feeling a little off on stage 15, so why hold back today, if he is feeling good?

And riders like Landa and Porte cannot waste any opportunities. Top 10 would be okay, but not greatly adding to their careers, and from where those guys are currently placed they still have quite a bit of work to do for a top 5, let along a podium. IF either of them are feeling good today, it would be crazy imo not to try something later on today. We are a full week on from stage 6. It should be a weaker peloton, and thus a greater chance for attackers to take advantage and a little time.

TRENDING THREADS