• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 16 (La Tour-du-Pin - Villard-de-Lans, 164 km)

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I agree. I like it when riders take risks. Pogacar "deserves" to win since he keeps putting himself out there.

I'm an old guy who grew up watching Lemond and Armstrong. And no matter what you think of Lance, he did not just sit second or 3rd wheel in his train and try an attack in the last 200m of a MTF!

Believe me, I was there.

Yup, same. Although not Lemond, I'm not that old.

Pogacar losing time cos of a mechanical in the cross winds stages seems like it killed it. Without that, either Roglic would have had to attack or at least ride a bit more or Pogacar would be in yellow now.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It’s sad when you consider the history of Villard des Lans. 87 was the ambush where all the GC riders put minutes into JF Bernard while Delgado and Roche broke away; 1988 Delgado demolished the field in the TT; 1989 Fignon and Mottet attacked LeMond and Delgado and put 25 seconds into the former which lead to the famous comeback on the last day...

2020 Superman gains 3 seconds in his quest for 3rd ahead of WVA.

To be fair, this just seems to be a Tour of attrition. Also I think the Green Jersey battle is harming the aggression. They’ve been going so hard from the start that it kills the climbers legs.

Fwiw, I get it that Roglic is riding the best race for him (although his own past and Dumoulins should tell him he should get a good lead before riding defensive) but as a fan, it's boring as ***. He's just another Wiggins but at least we all knew Wiggins couldn't do more. It really looks like Roglic can and he's just not bothered.

I agree. I like it when riders take risks. Pogacar "deserves" to win since he keeps putting himself out there.

I'm an old guy who grew up watching Lemond and Armstrong. And no matter what you think of Lance, he did not just sit second or 3rd wheel in his train and try an attack in the last 200m of a MTF!

Believe me, I was there.
If you are who you screenname says you are, I thought you got removed in 1996.

• Haha
Surprised about the complaining. That was honestly more gc action than I expected for today

Just a horrible stage design...

First few mountain stages were so early that of course everyone is scared to go.
Pyrenees were neutered but at least Marie Blanque was interesting.
Puy Mary was steep so there was some separation.
Grand Colombier would've been ok if the strongest guy wasn't already comfortable in the lead.
Tomorrow we can just hope for Pogacar to do his Ricco impression and some attacks for 3rd before the TT.

I guess it says he has the form to attack instead of recovering from crashes or disappearing from the race early. Even though he knows he will never beat Pogacar or Roglic in a finish at least he tried a few times.
This wasn't actually intended as a slight on Richie. I've made enough of those over time. However, probably because of his ever-increasing résumé of failures in GTs, whether his fault or not, Richie has become an incredibly timid GT rider. Much as Alejandro Valverde lights up smaller races left right and centre, then retreats into his shell and waits for the race to develop in GTs and major classics, Porte as leader is generally pretty conservative in three-week races, at odds with his more ambitious and risk-taking approach in one-week races.

When a guy who has made one real move which lasted a couple of kilometres (on Peyresourde) and a 500m counter-move attempt (on Grand Colombier) is the second most aggressive rider in the GC battle, you have problems. Because Richie hasn't done much different to previous races where he's been characterised as a conservative racer as he's passed up chances to gain time because of that fear of blowing up, which in his case is likely because he has done so spectacularly a couple of times in the past. And yet in this race, it's enough to make him stand out for his ambition compared to the other guys in the GC mix.

Fwiw, I get it that Roglic is riding the best race for him (although his own past and Dumoulins should tell him he should get a good lead before riding defensive) but as a fan, it's boring as ***. He's just another Wiggins but at least we all knew Wiggins couldn't do more. It really looks like Roglic can and he's just not bothered.
Pog can match him. Last time Rog attacked early he lost 4 seconds to Pog. Now the ITT comes and those seconds might matter. The pace for today's peloton was lame, nobody good would get dropped. More than 5 seconds is wishful thinking.

Roglic took a hard fall in the Dauphine...i think people are too quick to just write off things like that

Just a horrible stage design...

First few mountain stages were so early that of course everyone is scared to go.
Pyrenees were neutered but at least Marie Blanque was interesting.
Puy Mary was steep so there was some separation.
Grand Colombier would've been ok if the strongest guy wasn't already comfortable in the lead.
Tomorrow we can just hope for Pogacar to do his Ricco impression and some attacks for 3rd before the TT.
Actually I like this stage design, though I wish there was less flat between the last two climbs - can't help that geographically though. It reminds me a bit of the great Pescocostanzo stage in the 2008 Giro.

However, the issue for this stage is pacing rather than the stage itself in a vacuum, I believe, though there's not much ASO could realistically have done about it as a result; this stage was never going to see meaningful GC action when placed on the eve of the all-important MTF of the race.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts