• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 18 (Méribel - La Roche-sur-Foron, 175 km)

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What sort of perspective on life do you have in which that isn't a *** ton of money? Easily top 5% of earners in most rich countries

I'm not comparing it to what you earn working the check out at the local store......... I'm comparing it to other pro sports, and the media exposure/economy they generate.

Cycling salaries are generally laughable compared to other sports.

The big winners in the pro racing market are the race organisers, that is where most the money ends up.

Reactions: jsem94
I'm not comparing it to what you earn working the check out at the local store......... I'm comparing it to other pro sports, and the media exposure/economy they generate.

Cycling salaries are generally laughable compared to other sports.
I just think other sports earn to much, the money soccer players and basketball players get is just sickening

Pointlessly cynical view. If people start laundering money for the sake of a cycling team (which is simply just vanity) then it's at their own risk. The likelihood is, especially looking at who the owners are now, that it can be controlled to a good extent. Either way, would be considerably better than what we have now...

Salary caps are only barely enforceable in sports where teams are large, stable, entities and everyone is based in one jurisdiction. Even in those circumstances there are various schemes to circumvent them, which are occasionally discovered and mostly are not. Getting around a salary cap is not money laundering and does not have to involve criminality.

Teams are largely owned or financed by a collection of oligarchs of dubious character, some of whom exercise a great deal of political power (like the torture-princeling of Bahrain). Riders largely live in tax havens or to put it more politely countries that offer a great deal of protection for the privacy of personal finances.

The UCI simply has no way to regulate this.