• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 18 (Méribel - La Roche-sur-Foron, 175 km)

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
GC, if Dumoulin can get 1:30 on Uran and Yates he can move even further up the rank.

dA7BSBl.png

Great day for Michal! Congrats to my compatriot! The Ineos duo was very strong and deserved the victory (rest of the breakaway was caught by leaders group). I'm curious how the stage victory was decided but I tend to think that they decided it on their own (no team orders). Even though there was no fight the suspense before the finish line was great for Polish viewers, as they were riding so close to each other. Congrats to Carapaz as well - he also deserved it after 3 days in breakaway.

I just think other sports earn to much, the money soccer players and basketball players get is just sickening

The economic footprint of a tour is HUGE but the big advertising $$$ are football and basketball. Two easy and cheap sports to play. Don’t disagree they are overpaid though because they are. Unfortunately cycling is not in the same ball park with consistent year round interest.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm not comparing it to what you earn working the check out at the local store......... I'm comparing it to other pro sports, and the degree of media exposure/economy they generate.

Cycling salaries are generally laughable compared to other sports.
I'm sorry but you're slightly off here. Average county cricket player (level below international) earns 50k a year. If youre an international AND IPL, you get about 3m a year, 4m at most.

In Rugby, average UK rugby player earns about 120k. Even Owen Farrell, who earns one of the highest wages in rugby, is under 1m.

Even in football, with a commercial revenue way, way higher than cycling, if you play in a midtable side in Italy or Germany or Spain (premiership has insanely inflated wages and prices) you're gettign half a million or so. Formula 1 has huge salaries, that's because there are 20 of them.

Cycling wages are a lot higher compared to other sports than you think. Especially when you consider how many live in tax havens, and how food and expenses for 100 days a year or so are paid for.

For reference

Lopez finished 43rd in the first Giro TT last year 3:45 down on Roglic and :45 seconds behind Landa.

In the second shorter TT he finished 43rd. 23 seconds behind Landa and about 1:00 down on Roglic.

Lopez lost 2 minutes to Roglic in the lone Vuelta TT last year. However he finished 18th and looked improved

In the 2018 Vuelta’s lone TT, he finished 31st. He was roughly 1:15 seconds behind Mas, who came I. first among the GC riders.

I'm sorry but you're slightly off here. Average county cricket player (level below international) earns 50k a year. If youre an international AND IPL, you get about 3m a year, 4m at most.

In Rugby, average UK rugby player earns about 120k. Even Owen Farrell, who earns one of the highest wages in rugby, is under 1m.

Even in football, with a commercial revenue way, way higher than cycling, if you play in a midtable side in Italy or Germany or Spain (premiership has insanely inflated wages and prices) you're gettign half a million or so. Formula 1 has huge salaries, that's because there are 20 of them.

Cycling wages are a lot higher compared to other sports than you think. Especially when you consider how many live in tax havens, and how food and expenses for 100 days a year or so are paid for.

I've had this debate too many times before, to care to have it again.

If you think 200-300,000 is a good wage to be a World Tour rider, we just have to agree to disagree.

Reactions: 75Driver