• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 18 (Méribel - La Roche-sur-Foron, 175 km)

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No, it's not.

For example rider a,b and c could all ride the race and finish in the same time as front group and be no worse off. Riders D on lose loads of times.

Following stage, riders a, b and d finish in the front group, and c and E on lose loads.

In GC, a and b are at top and others aren't. In team, team is top
you're completely right, I oversaw those possibilities. (I now wonder if it differs a lot, e.g. if there are Tours where the team winning the classification doesn't have the 3rd best guy of any team...)

I'm sorry but you're slightly off here. Average county cricket player (level below international) earns 50k a year. If youre an international AND IPL, you get about 3m a year, 4m at most.

In Rugby, average UK rugby player earns about 120k. Even Owen Farrell, who earns one of the highest wages in rugby, is under 1m.

Even in football, with a commercial revenue way, way higher than cycling, if you play in a midtable side in Italy or Germany or Spain (premiership has insanely inflated wages and prices) you're gettign half a million or so. Formula 1 has huge salaries, that's because there are 20 of them.

Cycling wages are a lot higher compared to other sports than you think. Especially when you consider how many live in tax havens, and how food and expenses for 100 days a year or so are paid for.
Rugby and cricket are minority sports with little worldwide exposure just like cycling so I would expect the wages to be similar. The anomaly is in the US where they have so much money in sport that they can pay huge wages for sport that most of the world doesn't care about

Soccer is the only real worldwide sport so you would expect wages to be way higher

Reactions: Brullnux
YYU2wtt.png

Rugby and cricket are minority sports with little worldwide exposure just like cycling so I would expect the wages to be similar. The anomaly is in the US where they have so much money in sport that they can pay huge wages for sport that most of the world doesn't care about

Soccer is the only real worldwide sport so you would expect wages to be way higher

Cricket is probably the second biggest sport in the world, lol.

Reactions: MrTea1976
Cricket is probably the second biggest sport in the world, lol.
Most of the world doesn't have a clue what cricket is and don't play it except for some expats. Cricket claim to be so big because they have 1/2 countries who play it that have massive populations but it's only played at a serious level by about 8 or 10.
Ireland can make the world cup and we barely have a league

Most of you think Glieres is the place to go and I'd agree. JV should give the Saisses and Aravis climb a good pace to warm up the contenders and expose the pretenders. As I mentioned elsewhere; the descent off the Saisses has some interesting turns before you begin the Aravis that could cause chaos for anyone mid-pack.
It'll be a long way to the finish from the Gliere plateau but Alaphallippe did it. Possible for someone in the right time zone off the podium. The scenery is great, too.
I didn't get to see the early coverage. Hirschi dumped it on the Saisses descent? Check. Two guys in the right time zone go to the finish? Check.

Actually, neither cricket nor rugby are minority sports.

But, he is comparing the salary in a national league, with little exposure outside of the UK, to that of a world series.

Incidentally the average wage for a World Tour rider, is pretty similar to the average wage in the Danish national football league, despite the World Tour having a much, much larger economy.

So of course the rider salaries are too low, judging by the size of the economy of the sport, but in cycling most the money goes to other entities than the riders.

Cycling is one of the very few pro sports, where the teams/athletes have no significant income stream from the sport itself.