• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 9 (Pau - Laruns, 153 km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There may be something from la Vuelta. Roglic has worked with others before, but it was obvious he didn't want to deal with that group and preferred to let Pogacar go up the road than work with that specific group. My guess is due to Quintana being quick to ask for relief when he's on the front and Roglic and Pogacar not being willing to risk that.
i just love how Koronin always get to hit Quintana in the face

Hoping to issue a reverse jinx here: a prophylactic utterance (not that I'm superstitious). But it's been speculated already that the 2020 TDF could possibly end tomorrow (stage 9) if certain things play out on Monday. For any GC guys with hopes for yellow, maybe there will be no tomorrow after tomorrow, and the day should be seized. With a rest day regardless on Monday, one would think (hope) that someone will try something. Still hoping, hoping for 21 stages to play out.

I think it's too long for Alaphilippe.

GC action IMO. Pog will try again. He carries a youthful spirit of aggression. The gradients of Marie Blanque suits the likes of Roglic, Yates and Pogacar better than the rest. And 8k of flats is really nothing and they have a rest day coming up. It's a stage you can race like a LBL/Lombardia-styled classics.

As there is a rest day tomorrow this stage can bring some excitement. I hope for a rather big breakaway group full of Bahrain and Trek riders that will be kept on a reasonable leash before the first climb. It looked like Landa and Porte were OK and I hope for the havoc caused by these two teams. Now or never.

Just put the pressure on JV team today. They are strong but their are not Sky, they might pay the price in the third week.

As there is a rest day tomorrow this stage can bring some excitement. I hope for a rather big breakaway group full of Bahrain and Trek riders that will be kept on a reasonable leash before the first climb. It looked like Landa and Porte were OK and I hope for the havoc caused by these two teams. Now or never.

Just put the pressure on JV team today. They are strong but their are not Sky, they might pay the price in the third week.

The worrying thought is, what if this was Jumbo’s bad day? Like Sky in Bagneres in 2013 (I think that one also had the Peyresourde) when Froome was isolated, but nobody could/did attack him, and they righted the ship and were untouchable for the rest of the Tour.

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
Because Roglic has worked with others in breaks before including others who were a threat to his overall GC hopes. Then add to that as soon as Quintana got on the front of that 3 person group he was waving his elbow for someone else to go to the front and that's when both Pogacar and Roglic fully sat up.

Now when would Nairo Quintana ever dare flick his elbow?

That's like suggesting that Julian Alaphilippe might tighten his shoelaces :p

If someone gets enough riders in the breakaway the Hourcere could be a launch pad. Maybe someone like Landa or MAL the domestiques in the breakaway can then ride the valley to the 3rd cat. It would take a bold move, but possible.
It’s probably about an hour racing from the bottom of the Soudet descent to the start of the Marie Blanque. With VanAert and/or Dumoulin driving the chase behind. It would be utterly pointless.

Not that I don’t think it would make sense to send guys up the road, but bridging across before the MB would burn too many matches for too little gain.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS