• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2020

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What about Kämna btw? He's not gonna win but he looked really great the last two days. Could he have a breakthrough gt performance? Top 10 in the gc maybe? I haven't followed his career too closely so I don't know that much about his strenghts and weaknesses but I've thought he looked like a really good gc prospect ever since he had that fantastic Vuelta TT all the way back in 2017. He struggled in the following year but I love his career trajectory lately.

I don't know anything about it but there was a time when he gave up cycling completely - for a few weeks or months... not exactly clear... Anyway he seemed to be unsure about cycling or not finding the fun? Then he moved back to where he comes from or something? And now he switched from Sunweb to Bora.
Summed up: I don't know anything. I just thought that it could be more a mental thing that he might have solved, knowing what he wants, now.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Kämna was always a big talent. A very good junior, winning the ITT worlds and racing for the win in almost any bigger stage race he started as a 2nd year. He then went to Stölting, a CT team in his first year and PCT team in his 2nd year. He turned pro with 19 and got a lot of racing, culminating in a bronze at U23 ITT worlds followed by a fourth place a year later. Signed up by Sunweb he got to a good start, even though he had some illness issues, with placings in ITTs and some minor stage races. Rode his first GT at the 2017 Vuelta and was part of the TTT world champs squad. And then 2018 happened. He had massive illness issues and team and him decided to pull him from racing and even stopping his training. He moved back from cologne to his home near Bremen, and slowly built up again in June after about 3 months without racing. He had a quiet but solid end to the year in which he was scheduled to make his TDF debut. 2019 was the same, solid racing until June, where he began stepping it up. Impressive climbing in both Tour de Suisse and then the Tour, great 3rd week and recovery. Then obviously went to Bora and is now being coached by Lorang. He is being built up there slowly, like all the other talents Bora developed, but his performance this week shows his potential.

He was always a very gifted ITTer. But with his light built and his improved climbing he has started to switch into more of a climber over the last 1-2 years. He has been saying that, at Bora, he wants to continue improving his climbing but also work on his ITT again. He was scheduled to be Buchmanns right hand man, learning from him for the future and maybe go for a stage. They are developing him to ride for GCs in the future and he definitely has the engine for that. The comparisons to Klöden are very accurate in that there is a huge engine in his light frame. The question for the future will be if he can combine both his improved climbing level with his old ITT prowess. As we saw today and also at the Tour last year, the recovery and 3rd week level is there. He is also a very level headed person.
Today Poitschke said that, if Buchmann is out for the Tour, the plan for Kämna is to go for a stage and not try and ride for a lower GC placing. I think Bora are very cautious with him, given his illness issues in the past, the german press obsessiveness for a german GC rider at the Tour and not putting too much pressure on him. So far it seems to work and his level is only rising.

Them wanting to go for stages rather than a lower gc placement and the awareness for the pressure that will come once he shows more gc promise are very good signs.

Idk, I feel like a really strong TT is somewhat rarer to find with young riders than strong climbing. I also feel that good climbers easily become good gc riders but rarely become great ones while strong TT'ers often fail to properly transition into gc riders at all, but if they do they often become really great at it. I guess that's why Kämna felt kinda special when there first was some hype around him.

Reactions: kiszol
Ralph Denk told in a Q&A with the german newspaper "Münchner Merkur" that for Buchmann and Mühlberger the Tour is not in danger.

How severe are Emanuel Buchmann and Gregor Mühlberger's injuries?
Denk: As it looked on Sunday, the Tour de France is not in danger for either of them. We just have to wait and see when the two can start training again.

How was the night after the fall for Buchmann?
Denk: He's been doing pretty well so far. The X-ray that we got from France is really good: there is nothing to be seen on it that suggests a fracture. But of course we will have a second examination done.

But for Maximilian Schachmann, the broken collarbone means the end of the tour?
Denk: We don't want to think that far yet. The collarbone is relatively good. It is not necessary to operate it right away. We'll just look over the next two days to see how he copes with the injury. We try to think from day to day - but that's right: the tour is in great danger.

Last edited:
Them wanting to go for stages rather than a lower gc placement and the awareness for the pressure that will come once he shows more gc promise are very good signs.

Idk, I feel like a really strong TT is somewhat rarer to find with young riders than strong climbing. I also feel that good climbers easily become good gc riders but rarely become great ones while strong TT'ers often fail to properly transition into gc riders at all, but if they do they often become really great at it. I guess that's why Kämna felt kinda special when there first was some hype around him.
Maybe. Failed TT based GT riders also ahve a tendency to just make you forget they were once GT hopes. Take your Tony Martins and Luis Leon Sanchezes. They tend to simply become really good allrounders, and take their wins elsewhere. Jungels is another one. For high level pure climbers, there's not that much to do, except go for GTs, become domestique, or become stage hunter. I also think taller riders peak later, so smaller climbers get more overhyped.

I'd still say usually they go hand in hand. Contador and Nibali were both ITT talents in their youth. Froome is a better climber than TTer. Thomas and Wiggins have a total of 2 GT wins together.

I think Dumoulin is best of his type but he's essentially wasted half his GT career with rotten potatoes and a wet fart for support.

There were alot of the younger riders to the fore yesterday ...it is possible they need less training to get to top shape but may not hold as long as the older guys who need longer to get there

Valverde, Porte, Uran, Froome, Thomas had flashes ...small ones but some

They will improve but not fast enough for the Tour . While the youngster will tire but not fast enough for the old guys

In the meantime Roglic, Dumoulin and Pinot will get better even

Not sure about Quintana and his knee problems though

I don't know much about this upcoming Tour De France, but I do know this:

That if Pinot finishers 2nd in Paris, having been edged out of yellow by Thomas in the ITT, then this forum will consider the 2011 Tour de Suisse to be a happy ending in comparison.
I'll prepare for this before the Tour by venturing on a journey across the seven seas in search of the "delete forum" button

Peyragudes is worthless as a finish. It pisses me off because a legendary finish like Superbagneres is literally just around the corner. Prudhomme likes to make his legacy on finding new difficult climbs and not relying on the usual suspects, but he loves him some Peyragudes and La Planche Belle Filles (I know I probably spelled it wrong, but it’s not iconic enough to remember).

Peyragudes is worthless as a finish. It pisses me off because a legendary finish like Superbagneres is literally just around the corner. Prudhomme likes to make his legacy on finding new difficult climbs and not relying on the usual suspects, but he loves him some Peyragudes and La Planche Belle Filles (I know I probably spelled it wrong, but it’s not iconic enough to remember).
Also when in doubt, just chug MTF on pass i.e. Galibier, Tourmalet.

Col de Portet and Prat d'Albis were nice additions though, but Peyragudes is just so bad.

Really the Tour is by far the best GT at doing really easy things wrong with route design.

In recent times the Tour has done a pretty good job with its hilly stages; replacing a good number of pancake flat stages. Lack of long high mountain stages and of course ITT kms is frustrating.

As for PDBF, I think it's a good climb (it also has that other steep climb that can be used just before it), but alas, it has now been done to death. Climbs shouldn't be used anymore than once every three years, especially when they are finishing climbs (I probably wouldn't mind passes like Madeline or Galibier or even Tourmalet every other year if used well).

With this years route, as far as the mountains are concerned, to make it less backended, they need a better Pyrenean stage; something like Pailhares/Domaines finish.

Reactions: perico
I quite like the Tour route this year. It is certainly better than some routes. It is light on TTkms; I would have preferred a flat TT before the Alps but that is the modern way.

The Tour has obsession with certain climbs (Alpe, Tourmalet, Aubisque, Galibier recently PdB, Plateau de Beille) far more than the Giro which tends to be more selective about using its iconic climbs.

There are some fantastic climbs like Joux-Plane which are not overdone but others such as the aforementioned done far too often.

As for the present Tour on current form you would have to place Roglic and Bernal as the two outstanding favourites. Roglic as he is the form man and Bernal as he has also shown some good form and is defending champion. A number of other riders have large question marks against them. Even though it is a far hillier first week than usual it is still somewhat inevitable that crashes and the like happen which will no doubt hinder some of the favourites.

The Tour could be somewhat of a lottery in the 3rd week given the lack of racing that has happened.

TRENDING THREADS