• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour De France 2021, stage 1 (Brest-Landerneau, 197.8 km)

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not sure where he's supposed to go, happened really fast and all he could have done was swerve hard into his teammate I guess causing an even worse crash

That's true. Van Aart would have needed move. I think Martin assumed he could knock the sign away figuring it was cardboard. But then it grew on his handlebar and pulled him down.

He underestimated the danger regardless. But maybe he couldn't really have acted differently.

Reactions: jmdirt
I can't think of a USA three letter profane word, but I'd have to lie to argue against that sentiment in many cases. This forum is way more entertaining than mobesque. Twitter has useful stuff, but pretty mobesque if you follow a few wrong people or comment on anything political. But, yah...
another word for bottom. Not always profane on all boards.

Am I the only one who thinks Martin should have avoided that crash?

Of course it is the spectators fault for being completely oblivious and standing there with that stupid smile. But honestly it just seemed so obvious that she was not paying attention and held the sign there for a while.

Count me as someone who reacted with surprise that he went down in that situation. You can never tell of course exactly how it went, but I was surprised that amount of contact brought him down.

Of course I weigh 200 pounds and mountain bike aggressively, so my personal perspective might be a bit off from a skinny roadie riding in a pack.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Of course it is the spectators fault for being completely oblivious and standing there with that stupid smile. But honestly it just seemed so obvious that she was not paying attention and held the sign there for a while.

Martin clearly either expected her to remove it last second with no vision or actively sought a collision (being the only rider riding that widely). Both of which are reckless considering his responsibilities.

I may be biased though. This just strikes me as something Tony Martin would do...

Yea Tony Martin seems to be prone to crashing.

He said you cant ride around every spectator and riders expect them to move away but really, somebody looking in the opposite direction, while you have clear sight on them. How do you think this is going to work out when you just keep riding, no thought of slowing down, not sure what is going on in his head in such situations.

I basically agree. The spectator didn't step out in front of the riders, she was standing there when Martin came. It was deeply irresponsible by her, but the riders take a risk when they follow the edge of the road. In this case, Martin had the additional problem that his team mate was riding along him, so Martin could not move to the inside.

Yea Tony Martin seems to be prone to crashing.

He said you cant ride around every spectator and riders expect them to move away but really, somebody looking in the opposite direction, while you have clear sight on them. How do you think this is going to work out when you just keep riding, no thought of slowing down, not sure what is going on in his head in such situations.
So he should have slowed down and caused the people behind him to crash? Better for him I guess.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I basically agree. The spectator didn't step out in front of the riders, she was standing there when Martin came. It was deeply irresponsible by her, but the riders take a risk when they follow the edge of the road. In this case, Martin had the additional problem that his team mate was riding along him, so Martin could not move to the inside.

This a joke right? Stand in the road with a 184 strong peloton coming at 40kmph and expect them to move for you? Martin is NOT at fault here!

This a joke right? Stand in the road with a 184 strong peloton coming at 40kmph and expect them to move for you? Martin is NOT at fault here!

Of course Martin is not at fault morally. But unlike situations where some lunatic whips in a flag in the last second, this time he and other riders actually had time to recognize a dangerous situation and do something to avoid it.

My bias still plays in, because I don't think it was coincidentally Martin this happened for. He just seems too prone to accidents and too likely to asserting dominance to evade unjust outcomes.

There are roundabouts and road signs standing in the way of the peloton, too, you know. Normally they don't cause crashes.
Those are signaled, known before the race even starts and the DS always communicates their presence. Some of you lack basic cycling knowledge and it shows. I wonder how much did you ever got 50 km/h on a bike and see how "easy" is to avoid things.

E40gVuMXMAINbzk

Upon further reflection, she is clearly blocking the peloton with the sign. The safety of the riders is more important than 1.5 seconds of fame.

No one is here to watch a silly in-joke.

Last edited:
Martin has 2 other realistic options that I can see. Brake or swerve to his left. Both cause mass crashes. He had no actual option here that avoids a crash. Blaming him for this is stupid.

Hopefully they find that person anyway and they make an example of her. It's the only way to dissuade people like that and preventing this happening in the future.

Well he could have swerved to the right, gone up the verge and hit her directly, but I'm sure some on here would be going on about him 'asserting his dominance' or some such crap even more then.

I thought about putting some blame on crash prone Tony Martin but I don't think he could have done much to avoid that sign. Cardboard sign that big would have some weight to it and don't think that he could have just swiped it away as having just one hand on the bars could have again led to a crash.