• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 12: Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux – Nîmes, 159.4 km

Because stage 3 wasn't enough, time for another stage that looks both boring and dangerous.
Stage 12: Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux – Nîmes, 159.4 km
The fifth flat stage, and we’re nowhere near done after this one. Prudhomme mentions the possibility of echelons here, but there are hardly any exposed sections... At least the scenery should be nice with the entirety of the Ardèche gorge featuring early on.

Map and profile
6ad0d

fba6b

Route details
A crossing of the Rhône floodplain preceeds the passage of the Ardèche gorge from its easy side, hence no categorised climbing here. As a result, the only mountain points on offer are in Étoile de Bessèges territory, in the shape of the Côte du belvedère de Tharaux.

cote-de-tharaux.png

The stage doesn’t exactly get more interesting after that. Occasionally, there’s a stretch that isn’t protected by trees, but the odds of echelons are very low contrary to what ASO claims. The intermediate sprint, on a mild incline, comes inside the final 30 kilometers, so it might influence the way the sprinters’ teams manage the early break.

xWW9RvY.jpg

The uncategorised climb inside the final 20 kilometers is the same as in 2019 and looks like this:

montee-du-pont-saint-nicolas.png

Final kilometers
EGOvn20.jpg

nkdzrC5.jpg

The final 900 meters are identical to those in 2019, but the 2 kilometers before it are different and, frankly, dangerous. The urban nature of the finale reveals itself at 3.2 kilometers to go, with this roundabout that was also seen in 2019.

8sPOoyg.png

300 meters on, we deviate from that finale with this tight right-hand turn.

0ogR7ws.png

The road remains narrow, with some slight bends before a tight left-hander at 2.2 kilometers from the line.

GZOX9Oy.png

The picture below comes 300 meters after that. I have no clue what ASO are thinking, this underpass isn’t even mentioned in the roadbook and therefore I have no idea how many arches will be open. Either way, a crash here is too likely for me…

IRblWMl.png

…especially given what each arch looks like up close:

JgOLfKG.png

From here, it’s much easier with a wide right-hand turn at 900 meters to go to rejoin the 2019 route, hence the final stretch is the same as the section from 0:17 onwards in the video below. That means there’s a sweeping, two-lane roundabout at 350 meters to go as the final obstacle.

With 200 to go, Morkov dropped off Richeze with Viviani on his wheel. Ewan still came from 5 spots back to win.

Thus illustrating;
Quickstep's leadout is the best.
Not just anybody can win behind that leadout.
The guys who have the speed to beat a capable sprinter with a Quickstep leadout aren't in the Tour any more this year. The sprinters that are here, don't have leadouts to compare with QS, or speed to beat Cav.

Cav's previous win in Nimes was stage 13, and it was his 4th stage win of the 2008 Tour.

This is a done deal.

The Tharaux is tough enough to drop sprinters, but alas they'll eventually coalesce.
I don't think anyone will even try there. Much more likely for BE and TBV to try and drop the Cavs and Bols on the uncat climb in the final 20 (which looks about as hard, and is a lot closer to the finish).

The 2019 stage seems to have more climbers behind the time gaps than sprinters, though. I can barely remember but did that one have crosswind action?

TRENDING THREADS