• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 14: Carcassonne – Quillan, 183.7 km

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He is not a threat for the podium so they saved their matches for tomorrow.
Martin is a clever rider who maximizes his talent. He can almost stay with the best climbers if he's on top form and frseh, but he probably won't be able to in the rest of the Pyrénées. And he is guaranteed to lose buckets of time in the TT.

He will do well to keep his top 10,I'm afraid

Reactions: Sciatic and jmdirt
Martin is a clever rider who maximizes his talent. He can almost stay with the best climbers if he's on top form and frseh, but he probably won't be able to in the rest of the Pyrénées. And he is guaranteed to lose buckets of time in the TT.

I don't see him staying with anyone this time out - he finished 2 mins behind Lutsenko and Kelderman and 1 min behind Mas on the double Ventoux day riding with the GC pack.

The interesting thing for Martin is that he'll almost certainly try go in more breaks and if UAE don't ride there will be all sorts of poker going on with teams close to podium places who are wary of burning their doms and getting stung by team with more riders left.

I think top ten is achievable and with the right moves he could even engineer an incredible over-performance.

He's a fun rider to have in the peloton and always adds something a little different

Woodsy is coming home with kom

He’s going to lose a chunk of time tomorrow, and will probably lose time I the other Pyraneean stages this coming week.

I doubt they fully 'allowed' it as opposed to Mollema just being strong.
Don't forget even on the climb they only gained back 20 seconds, after Mollema had already been solo for +20km.

I think it's quite easy to say the strongest won

Mollema would have done well on the final climb with a group - It's the principle of letting a rider get one minute on a mostly lead up to the final climb - You are not giving yourself a chance.

Time cut today was ridiculously generous. I don’t think it should have been any more than 35 minutes given the terrain and weather.

I'd like to see a clear cut rule that anyone can understand in layman's terms.

Within 10 seconds per km of the winner to stay in the race? That would mean 16:40 cut off for a 100 km stage, and 33:20 for a 200 km stage. ITT's would become extra interesting.....1:40 for 10 kms, 3:20 for 20 kms, etc.

May sound harsh, but I think that would be reasonable.

I'd like to see a clear cut rule that anyone can understand in layman's terms.

Within 10 seconds per km of the winner to stay in the race? That would mean 16:40 cut off for a 100 km stage, and 33:20 for a 200 km stage. ITT's would become extra interesting.....1:40 for 10 kms, 3:20 for 20 kms, etc.

May sound harsh, but I think that would be reasonable.
Too harsh. Ganna would have eliminated exactly half of the peloton in the rolling TT in last year's Giro. I prefer to have pro cyclists on my TV screen, rather than sat at home on their sofa.

Reactions: RedheadDane

TRENDING THREADS