• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 15: Céret – Andorre-la-Vieille, 191.3 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dunno...
Today's rush showed the effects already towards the finish of the stage.
Relentless tempo at the altitude, on top of two weeks of racing, could create a chance on Beixalis... if not even before.
The rest day afterwards is a concern less for attackers.
The mix in the breakaway should be interesting. If Van Aert could smash the double Ventoux, why wouldn't a bunch of rouleurs fancy their chance on these rolling gradients? Climbers wouldn't mind having them on all the false flats.

I'm just assuming they don't want big mountain stage action they just want to appease the sort of fans that don't have any clue all climbs before Beixalis are weak stuff.

I think casuals will look at this profile and see a big mountain stage.

I think Envalira was the climb when Beloki randomly got dropped by about a gazillion people in the 2001 Vuelta after looking good the whole race before that.

Not saying that this will happen to Pogacar, but Puymorens-Envalira did play a bit of a role in deciding the outcome of a GT the last time it was done.

I don't know what to make of Miguel Angel Lopez's form, but ordinarily this stage would suit him well (maybe not the descent to the finish, but the long moderate gradients and altitude is perfect for him).

And he has ridden well in Andorra before (2018 Vuelta, stage 20, he tore the race up on Beixalis before finishing second to Mas).

The stage could be a bit devoid of action, but I suspect we're all just a bit scarred by a TdF peloton that has historically been carefully controlled by strong teams who have managed to soft pedal harder days than this.

With lots of weak teams and a unique race shape I think there's plenty of chances for a pleasant surprise, especially given yesterday was hardly an easy day for the legs.

(though I will confess I agreed to play 5 a side this afternoon instead of watch live because I thought it might be a damp squib)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Partly to do with screen resolution, and partly the diminished eyesight of an old man, but you are going to have to help at least me, and I suspect many others, out. Does that picture somehow reflect Jalabert winning at Verdun, the main cycling significance I can find to 11/07/2001?
Zoomed in:
hMZ60E6.png