• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 15: Céret – Andorre-la-Vieille, 191.3 km

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It seems weird that Ineos have Richie Porte, last year podium on GC, expending as domestique at this point while Movistar still have Ivan García Cortina left. For a decade it's been every team left with just their leaders and the occasional climbing domestique and Sky/Ineos with their whole rouleur corps still intact, so this is like a reverse of historical precedent.

Guillaume Martin winning yellow is more likely than Cavendish finishing OTL.
Per ProCyclingStats
“How would the general classification look considering only mountain stages?
# GC +/- RIDER TIMELAG
1 2 ▲1 MARTIN Guillaume 18:09:35
2 1 ▼1 POGAČAR Tadej 1:10
3 10 ▲7 CATTANEO Mattia 1:43
4 6 ▲2 O'CONNOR Ben 2:25
5 3 ▼2 URÁN Rigoberto 5:02
6 4 ▼2 VINGEGAARD Jonas 5:02
7 5 ▼2 CARAPAZ Richard 5:02
8 7 ▼1 KELDERMAN Wilco 5:33
9 8 ▼1 LUTSENKO Alexey 6:22
10 9 ▼1 MAS Enric 6:26”

It seems weird that Ineos have Richie Porte, last year podium on GC, expending as domestique at this point while Movistar still have Ivan García Cortina left. For a decade it's been every team left with just their leaders and the occasional climbing domestique and Sky/Ineos with their whole rouleur corps still intact, so this is like a reverse of historical precedent.
Seriously strange what happened to them this year. It's not just that they have stopped being dominant. They are straight up bad.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think Vingegaard aint in the position to get the whole team to ride for him. It is only his second GT and his first time being in this position. He has been given the go to ride his own race and make the best result. He should be happy with that. If he does well and doesnt crack, then he will get more opportunities to be the captain in races in the future.
I see it differently, but you and Zeeman disagree... but if I were Vingegaard, I'd be a bit angry.

Reactions: Danskebjerge
I think Vingegaard aint in the position to get the whole team to ride for him. It is only his second GT and his first time being in this position. He has been given the go to ride his own race and make the best result. He should be happy with that. If he does well and doesnt crack, then he will get more opportunities to be the captain in races in the future.

If Vingegaard was a bad time trialist, I would have agreed with you. But he isn't.

Seriously strange what happened to them this year. It's not just that they have stopped being dominant. They are straight up bad.
Two GT winners (one of whom has been unable to stay on his bike to be fair), a podium finisher from last year, Kwiatkowski, Van Baarle and Castroviejo who was recently riding out of his skin at the Giro and they've had no impact on the race. It's bizarre, you can't say they're all over the hill because most were in top from not that long ago.

If Vingegaard was a bad time trialist, I would have agreed with you. But he isn't.

It is also a hierarchy thing. Vingegaard is very new to be in this position and just started to show this potential. He aint in the position to command or get the whole team backing him. He gotta prove he can hold on and his opportunity to do that is now with permission to ride his own race and make the best result he can.