• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 18: Pau – Luz Ardiden, 129.7 km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ITV saying that Vingegaard is the most surprising podium in a GT since 2011...

Have they forgotten Jai Hindley? It was only 9 months ago for goodness sake.
Or Damiano Caruso literally a month and a half ago?

No sure if ITV covers the other GT's but I bet they meant Le Tour even though they said GT.

Hindley was an exiting surprise btw, a shame he wasn't able to win last year, not sure how much crashes held him back this year.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
It seems Bahrain's tactic is to attack on the Tourmalet. If so, why? Trying to break away when the peloton will probably be going hard doesn't seem smart. Unlikely they will get a big gap. It also makes it easier for Pogacar to pick up KOM points on the Tourmalet, as well as almost guaranteeing that the stage will go to a GC rider.

Movistar have a phrase for this: 'Tactically Perfect'.

ITV saying that Vingegaard is the most surprising podium in a GT since 2011...

Have they forgotten Jai Hindley? It was only 9 months ago for goodness sake.
Or Damiano Caruso literally a month and a half ago?
It's pretty damn surprising to me, this is a guy who looked like the team's 4th strongest climber going into the race. In terms of indicators there was his performance in the Basque country this year and that's about it.

Reactions: Lui98 and spalco
It's pretty damn surprising to me, this is a guy who looked like the team's 4th strongest climber going into the race. In terms of indicators there was his performance in the Basque country this year and that's about it.

Of course, I certainly didn't spend a thought on him before the Tour.

However, looking back his race results are really, really solid for a 24-year-old. Maybe he should have been considered before the race. Of course we probably wouldn't have seen how strong he is if the race had gone better for Roglic.

Reactions: Pirazziattacks

I think it depends on how you determine the surprising nature really.

That Giro was incredibly unexpected and for pure surprise factor it's unequalled, but it ended up being a function of basically all the favourites imploding, and in a way became everyone's game.

If you told me before this tour that only Roglic of the big favourites was going to have a major issue I'd not believe for a second that JV was going to be on the podium, and this was certainly not the option I'd have jumped to if you told me they managed it

Reactions: Pirazziattacks

TRENDING THREADS