• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 19: Mourenx – Libourne, 207.0 km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Can anyone give me a breakdown on why Quickstep and Alpecin let this breakaway succeed?

It was held below 1 minute for ages without Quickstep doing much up front, I go make a cup of tea, come back and it's six minutes and the peloton, including entire quickstep team, has sat up. Wtf?

Even assuming they had to do it on their own couldn't quickstep have bridged 50 seconds with line of sight like that? And why did they let it get away in the first place? Is there something wrong with Cavendish?
Probably not something wrong with Cavendish but maybe he called that the pace was too much to constantly closedown and catch after 3 weeks of a tour

Can anyone give me a breakdown on why Quickstep and Alpecin let this breakaway succeed?

It was held below 1 minute for ages without Quickstep doing much up front, I go make a cup of tea, come back and it's six minutes and the peloton, including entire quickstep team, has sat up. Wtf?

Even assuming they had to do it on their own couldn't quickstep have bridged 50 seconds with line of sight like that? And why did they let it get away in the first place? Is there something wrong with Cavendish?

Actually for Quickstep the story is really bigger when Cav wins on the Champs E. If he doesn't his Tour has still already been an endless success. The team is probably tired as well and looking at the length and the hopes of other teams today they might already have said from the beginning they won't do everything to get the sprint today.

Alpecin might have thought they cannot control the break alone and DQS should be first to chase.

That's my guess, despite having watched almost nothing of this stage. :tearsofjoy:

If it hadn't been a 200 km stage, DQS would probably have gone for a bunch sprint, and maybe also if the break had been brought back, but with Ballerini up there they can now relax, since Matthews won't score any points either.

Of course it's also possible that Merckx either managed to spook Cavendish earlier or decided to pay him that increased salary, Cav's been looking for, out of his own pocket. We'll know that for sure, if Cav fails to overtake Mørkøv in the last meters on Champs-Élysées, because he drops his chain too early for once.

If it hadn't been a 200 km stage, DQS would probably have gone for a bunch sprint, and maybe also if the break had been brought back, but with Ballerini up there they can now relax, since Matthews won't score any points either.

Of course it's also possible that Merckx either managed to spook Cavendish earlier or decided to pay him that increased salary, Cav's been looking for, out of his own pocket. We'll know that for sure, if Cav fails to overtake Mørkøv in the last meters on Champs-Élysées, because he drops his chain too early for once.
As a QS fans, I don't want Cav to break this golden record in the middle of the week. It must be Champs Elysees or never. It is okay he never win a stage and the records remains 34. It is already legendary.

Patrick must have thought the same.