• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 20: Libourne – Saint-Émilion, 30.8 km (ITT)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I guess you could make the argument that Walkowiak in 1956 was worse, as he finished 75 out of 78 the next year, but he was the fluke winner that year from the breakaway.

So that is the only one that could qualify since at least WWII (I’m not counting the early years where there weren’t many finishers at all).

The Froome thread is like his church, or house even, he's hardly ever seen outside (maybe in Landa one, I'm not sure these days), you won't be heard
There is a sadness..Froome got medical advice from the same clods that told Taylor Phinney to do a 2+ year rehab..he basically crashed himself out of cycling..now Froome is a total non factor..knowing that riders like Tony Martin,Gilbert, Valverde were close to done...they went down fighting..probably never see another TDF.. Froome should have done training rides somewhere else..the organization had way too much pack fill..and the protesting..why no protest after a third of the riders crashed in the first 5k of the race..Bouhani ,Ewen, Demare,all out and Cav pretty much sprinting against Mathews..we will see tomorrow..great TT today.
Froome should start being a sales rep for Broadman bicycles

I'd argue, if being shot, has a worse long-term imapct on the cycling performance than the Froome's type of injuries.

You can argue all you'd like but he still carries 35 shot gun pellets in his body including in the lining of his heart and has had many issues from that point onward. It affects his entire life to this day not just his cycling career.
Froome got hurt being careless puting on a jacket; caused his own problems.
But feel free to think a few broken bones is worse than almost dying after losing 65% of your blood and carrying lead pellets that poison you.
Excuses for Froome just don't hold up.

You can argue all you'd like but he still carries 35 shot gun pellets in his body including in the lining of his heart and has had many issues from that point onward. It affects his entire life to this day not just his cycling career.
But feel free to think a few broken bones is worse than almost dying after losing 65% of your blood and carrying lead pellets that poison you.
I didn't mean to belittle the damage caused by LeMond's shooting or to make an excuse for Froome's terrible performance.

I can just see it really possible that a few broken bones (including femur) could affect your cycling performance in the long-term more than " losing 65% of your blood and carrying lead pellets that poison you".
Of course, I don't exclude that you're right here. I just wanted to point out, that imo it could be not that obvious as it seems to be, because such things are really hard to assess.

Reactions: bizzmane89
I'd argue, if being shot, has a worse long-term imapct on the cycling performance than the Froome's type of injuries.
Its very subjective.
generally you would expect that an injury in the parts of the body that are directly involved in cycling would effect the performance in a worse way.
Jakobsen got his face smashed which is not related with cycling performance but he still struggles mentally.
Andy Schleck injured his pelvis and was never the same again.
Groin injuries typically limit an athlete due to long term chronic pain at higher intensities.
Pinot injured his back and now faces the potential end of his career

Its very subjective.
generally you would expect that an injury in the parts of the body that are directly involved in cycling would effect the performance in a worse way.
Jakobsen got his face smashed which is not related with cycling performance but he still struggles mentally.
Andy Schleck injured his pelvis and was never the same again.
Groin injuries typically limit an athlete due to long term chronic pain at higher intensities.
Pinot injured his back and now faces the potential end of his career
Adrien Costa likes this post.

I didn't mean to belittle the damage caused by LeMond's shooting or to make an excuse for Froome's terrible performance.

I can just see it really possible that a few broken bones (including femur) could affect your cycling performance in the long-term more than " losing 65% of your blood and carrying lead pellets that poison you".
Of course, I don't exclude that you're right here. I just wanted to point out, that imo it could be not that obvious as it seems to be, because such things are really hard to assess.

I guess you don't think lead in the lining of your heart has no effect on performance. After all what cyclist needs a healthy heart to perform well.:rolleyes:

Congrats to Van Aert on his performance and victory. My gut feeling didn't let me down as I had him as a winner today. He won the Ventoux stage, he won the TT, too bad he didn't outsprint Cav at least once! I think he's a co-favourite for the Olympic TT (with Ganna).

No big changes in the GC. Pog rode slower than I expected, despite his effort he lacked some wattage. He's been in a good form for the whole season and I think he actually peaked in the first part of the race (TT + Alps). Vingegaard very solid again, a future GT winner in the making.

Reactions: Carols

Actually, I think Froome's crash story is even crazier than putting on a jacket (or failing to do so):

Chris Froome crash: Cyclist in intensive care after taking hands off handlebars to blow nose, Team Ineos manager reveals | The Independent | The Independent

Chris Froome crash: Cyclist in intensive care after taking hands off handlebars to blow nose, Team Ineos manager reveals

• Wow
Reactions: Carols and SHAD0W93
Having Vingegaard and Pogacar peaking at the same time would give us the top 2 time trialers and good climbers needed for a fiercely competitive tour. Both look like the real deal and might provide some exciting GT's in the future. I'd love to see a tour where the best riders trade the lead a couple times. Add Bernal to the mix and it could get REALLY interesting.

TRENDING THREADS