• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2021, Stage 6: Tours – Châteauroux, 160.6 km

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If Bouhanni is getting podiums left and right behind Cav it tells you something about the quality of the sprinters (besides Cav) here. Merlier, who is potentially the fastest one here, is doing leadouts for his slower teammate.
Honestly I'd include Cav. Ewan is out and Merlier isn't allowed to sprint at the moment. So the 3rd & 4th fastest sprinters get their chance to shine. That said, both Cav and Bouhanni are back into very good shape. Bouhanni isn't a bad sprinter if in decent shape. Demare in difference looks in bad shape compared to last fall.

Honestly I'd include Cav. Ewan is out and Merlier isn't allowed to sprint at the moment. So the 3rd & 4th fastest sprinters get their chance to shine. That said, both Cav and Bouhanni are back into very good shape. Bouhanni isn't a bad sprinter if in decent shape. Demare in difference looks in bad shape compared to last fall.
There is also the whole drama with Ackermann and Bennett going on and Groenewegen is still not back at 100% after his ban. I'd say that someone like Nizzolo would be competitive against this kind of field.
Yeah, Demare looks really bad this year, no idea what has happened to him.

149440105-10-jpg_091722.jpg

yw

I think Valverde becoming world champion after having smashed his kneecap at an age of 37 also deserves a mention.

Nice to see his heartfelt congratulations to Cavendish, by the way.

There is also the whole drama with Ackermann and Bennett going on and Groenewegen is still not back at 100% after his ban. I'd say that someone like Nizzolo would be competitive against this kind of field.
Yeah, Demare looks really bad this year, no idea what has happened to him.

Yep, it's kind of strange to experience this because I have had the feeling that the quality in cycling has increased quite noticeably during the last three years, all over the board; puncheurs, classic riders, sprinters, climbers, time trialists.

Now suddenly to see so many sprinters falling off is quite odd; I suppose it started with the accident in Poland that took out two of the very best, but Ackermann, Gaviria and Viviani are mere shadows of their former selves, while Bennett and Ewan are out for different reasons. That's not to say that Cavendish hasn't obviously improved massively the past few months but I would hesitate to suddenly call him the best sprinter in the world and I think he benefits from the apparent drop-off in general sprinting level. But then again, you can only beat the riders you're up against.

Of course Rasmussen is 100% correct and Kennaugh's reaction is ridiculous.

But, keep in mind that men when depressed often get kinda grumpy and anti about everything, because they hate & dispize everything and everyone including themselves!

Not an excuse and not saying he isn't kinda controversial and provocative sometimes. But this underlying spite in fact might not be part of Kennaugh's natural character in difference to popular impression!

Of course Rasmussen is 100% correct and Kennaugh's reaction is ridiculous.

But, keep in mind that men when depressed often get kinda grumpy and anti about everything, because they hate & dispize everything and everyone including themselves!

Not an excuse and not saying he isn't kinda controversial and provocative sometimes. But this underlying spite in fact might not be part of Kennaugh's natural character in difference to popular impression!

maybe he needs to clean his room

Reactions: cellardoor
Yep, it's kind of strange to experience this because I have had the feeling that the quality in cycling has increased quite noticeably during the last three years, all over the board; puncheurs, classic riders, sprinters, climbers, time trialists.

Now suddenly to see so many sprinters falling off is quite odd; I suppose it started with the accident in Poland that took out two of the very best, but Ackermann, Gaviria and Viviani are mere shadows of their former selves, while Bennett and Ewan are out for different reasons. That's not to say that Cavendish hasn't obviously improved massively the past few months but I would hesitate to suddenly call him the best sprinter in the world and I think he benefits from the apparent drop-off in general sprinting level. But then again, you can only beat the riders you're up against.
Viviani was the poster child for "Quickstep have the best leadout in the world." He's always been a good-not-great road sprinter. Gaviria had his health problems, and looked short of confidence at the Giro; if he takes Bennett's place at Quickstep next year, I'd expect him to win a bucketload.

A very specific set of circumstances seem to have come together to create this chance for Cav, but he's grabbed it with both hands.

Reactions: tobydawq
Yea, but in fairness, Pete Kennaugh is a total condescending, self-entitled *** and always has been. That's just him being him, bias or no bias.

Coz of the Rasmussen incident or are there other incidents I don't know about? He was a bit silly going after Rasmussen, but the latter heavily implied one of Kennaugh's mates was a doper. You kind of invite those kinds of reactions when you chuck comments like that around, especially when you're almost as far from white as white on the issue as it's possible to be.

Coz of the Rasmussen incident or are there other incidents I don't know about? He was a bit silly going after Rasmussen, but the latter heavily implied one of Kennaugh's mates was a doper. You kind of invite those kinds of reactions when you chuck comments like that around, especially when you're almost as far from white as white on the issue as it's possible to be.
I don't see why Rasmussen can't be allowed to say what he thinks, I mean if guys who aren't paniagua aren't able to voice their suspicions then conversely David Millar (who Kennaugh was happy to ride alongside for the British team) has no place on an anti-doping panel, yet there he was and Kennaugh had nothing to say about that. Nevertheless, I think the Pooley/women's cycling quotes were worse, imo. There are other examples of his sense of entitlement and attitude that stand out less, just being more from tone etc., but the dripping condescension and belittling of others is something he's been doing a long time.

I don't see why Rasmussen can't be allowed to say what he thinks, I mean if guys who aren't paniagua aren't able to voice their suspicions then conversely David Millar (who Kennaugh was happy to ride alongside for the British team) has no place on an anti-doping panel, yet there he was and Kennaugh had nothing to say about that. Nevertheless, I think the Pooley/women's cycling quotes were worse, imo. There are other examples of his sense of entitlement and attitude that stand out less, just being more from tone etc., but the dripping condescension and belittling of others is something he's been doing a long time.

I missed the Pooley episode, just Googled it. Yep, ***.

My view is that in the last 3 days he is the best sprinter in the world by virtue of the fact he is crossing the line first, in sprints, in the biggest bike race. Right now there are no better sprinters.

• Haha
Reactions: Carols

In the Cav thread you are deluded if you think the field isn't always equally good. Farrar, Hushovd, Ciolek, old versions of Zabel, Petacchi, McEwen, Freire -- they were as good as the field three years earlier. 2008-2010=2005-2007.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
yup, you're right. i watched the sprint on live television, where it looked extremely egregious and then that original feeling was confirmed by seeing it on replay about 9 times from 5 different angles. thanks for your support.

It would do to you, because you're suffering from an acute episode of cognitive dissonance. It won't matter how many times you watch it, your brain will deflect anything that proves your deep-rooted opinion is anything other than fact.

Just re-read some of your stuff. Swerves?! Extremely egregious?! You know deep down that at best this is massive hyperbole and at worst outright misrepresentations of reality.

Pundits from Eurosport and ITV saw no need for action. The cyclingnews.com live reporter saw nothing in the sprint "nothing out of order". None of the reports into the event I've read even mention any controversy in the sprint.

There is a reason for that.

Reactions: Andy262
It's a fair argument. There's currently no better, quantifiable way to demonstrate the best sprinter in the world than "he's winning bunch sprint stages at the Tour de France."

They say in athletics World Record holders are the fastest on the time and place of their choice, and World Champions are the fastest on the time and place of someone else's choice. Of all the sprinters that have showed up in France this July, Cav is the fastest.

What "Rasmussen incident"?
Which Rasmussen?
I'm assuming Michael...

Sprinters are overrated. It's clear that the best leadout wins the sprint.
Give me Morkov and I will win all my local amateur races :D

It's a fair argument. There's currently no better, quantifiable way to demonstrate the best sprinter in the world than "he's winning bunch sprint stages at the Tour de France."

They say in athletics World Record holders are the fastest on the time and place of their choice, and World Champions are the fastest on the time and place of someone else's choice. Of all the sprinters that have showed up in France this July, Cav is the fastest.

So we should just ignore Bennett and Ewan?

No, it's not a fair argument!!

TRENDING THREADS