• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022 route rumors thread.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How do you even come up with a name like that? Did someone named "D.ick" (Richard) tumble down said hill?

(Yes, I know I'm cheating the sensor. However, I'm referring to the (nick)name "D.ick", not the body part.)
Apparently, a nickname given to Richard Cromwell (son of Oliver) by contemporary critics, on the grounds of his failure to hold on to power for mire than a few months. It subsequently became a pub name: I'm going to guess that its emergence as a place name in Australia came about by migrants who had frequented the pub.

Apparently, a nickname given to Richard Cromwell (son of Oliver) by contemporary critics, on the grounds of his failure to hold on to power for mire than a few months. It subsequently became a pub name: I'm going to guess that its emergence as a place name in Australia came about by migrants who had frequented the pub.

But did he tumble down the hill?

(Sorry, Broccolidwarf, I am once again participating in a complete hijacking of your thread.)

But did he tumble down the hill?

(Sorry, Broccolidwarf, I am once again participating in a complete hijacking of your thread.)
Tumbledown would have been a reference to falling from power: there was no hill involved as far as Cromwell was concerned (as far as I know).

But Aussies do not seem shy about having 'colourful' place names:
7871446-3x2-940x627.jpg

(Sorry: won't post any further diversion from the topic here)

• Love
Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
One could well have wished for a little more courage in the Danish bid. It's surely a conservatively "safe bid", just like the Giro 2012.
I mean It's not a strict matter of course that the country solely delivers sprint finales. And no it's not only Vejle which is able to produce hilly stage finals.
But ofcourse it depends on which towns and mayors participating in the project.
I hope for some real stormy weather forecast for 2nd stage over Great Belt.

I think one of the demands from ASO was that it had to involve Copenhagen.
Otherwise... why not have the Grand Depart in Århus? Århus is a nice city. We have hills.

I think the Grand Depart is very convenient and sensefull to place in Cph. I like that.
But from there on, plenty of missed opportunities to do fireworks, though the final including the Great Belt Bridge is a fine opportunity.
However, 3rd stage could easily be a complex hilly stage with a hilly final sprint (more hilly than the one in Sønderborg).
Could be in city center or in outskirts of Vejle, Aarhus, Randers, Kolding, Silkeborg, Horsens, Hobro, Skanderborg, Aabenraa, etc.
Lived in or next to most of the places myself during the last 5 decades, vacuuming the hills in the surrounding landscapes with my bikes :cool:

But even Tour of Denmark avoids all the fine opportunities - and even the Queen stage in Vejle is mostly decimated to the final three laps round Kiddesvej due to the peleton hesitates in all climbs before the finale (nb: at least five climbs in or around Vejle are harder than Kiddesvej).

So even ppl in flatter parts of Denmark thinks our country only can deliver "speed bumps".

Theres a heck of possibilities to make a Danish version of AGR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Theres a heck of possibilities to make a Danish version of AGR.
Speaking of which, I read an article that the municipality (I think the deputy mayor himself) of Vejle considered the Tour-visit as an opportunity to shore up attention, funding and volunteers to create a hilly Amstel-style WT-aspiring one day race in the area. Would love to be a part of it, if this would come to pass one day

Speaking of which, I read an article that the municipality (I think the deputy mayor himself) of Vejle considered the Tour-visit as an opportunity to shore up attention, funding and volunteers to create a hilly Amstel-style WT-aspiring one day race in the area. Would love to be a part of it, if this would come to pass one day

Yes I read that, too.
But it had been more convincing for a Danish AGR bid on the calendar if stage 3 was turned around with 12-15 harder hills for the last 60K and a finale at Jellingvej next to Gl. Kongevej and in that way displaying that DK in fact can deliver something else than just speed bumps.

Last edited:
I think Danish hills would always disappoint, and furthermore increase the risk of a crashfest. While it would have to be a long stage (given that there's no way around visiting Jellingstenene), I would have preferred if stage 3 went by Ribe and Vadehavet, and for the finish-line to be at the top of Dybbøl Banke. In fantasy land it would have been in 2020 too (in a pandemic-free alternative universe).

I don't quite get why the ITT goes by The Black Diamond and Blox instead of Christiansborg Slotsplads, Christianshavn (by Knippelsbro), Amager and over Langebro.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samu Cuenca
I think Danish hills would always disappoint, and furthermore increase the risk of a crashfest. While it would have to be a long stage (given that there's no way around visiting Jellingstenene), I would have preferred if stage 3 went by Ribe and Vadehavet, and for the finish-line to be at the top of Dybbøl Banke. In fantasy land it would have been in 2020 too (in a pandemic-free alternative universe).

I don't quite get why the ITT goes by The Black Diamond and Blox instead of Christiansborg Slotsplads, Christianshavn (by Knippelsbro), Amager and over Langebro.
For me Denmark is similar to The Netherlands in that the best case scenario is a prologue and a wind stage and any hills will just be for KOM points before inevitable bunch sprint?

Or does Denmark have any half decent hills that aren't all the way in the edge of the country where the region didn't pay for?

TRENDING THREADS