• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 1 (Copenhagen – Copenhagen, 13.2k/ITT)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Don't be suprised. If you are going to travel from Denmark to France you can't ride a stage as well. I'm not a fan of the lessening of KMs in grand tours. Fatigue is a big part of a cycling, but it's still to transfer a peloton and all the teams and then ride a stage on that same day.

He just always has to be grumpy about something. It's not as if it was a secret until this week that there would be an early rest day.

Official start times:

IMG_4021.jpg

IMG_4022.jpg

Don't be suprised. If you are going to travel from Denmark to France you can't ride a stage as well. I'm not a fan of the lessening of KMs in grand tours. Fatigue is a big part of a cycling, but it's still to transfer a peloton and all the teams and then ride a stage on that same day.
Then dont start the tour in frikkin Denmark. Also I dont see why you can´t travel from Denmark to France in the evening and start a stage the next day at 1 pm or something like that.

The drivers can drive through the night.

It's certainly doable, but is it necessary? I don't know what the fuss is about the early rest day - Giro and Vuelta do this too when they start too far away. I think the Giro even did it after a start in Sardinia a couple years ago.
Yeah, what does it achieve? I think the longest transfer this year is ~5.5hrs to Paris after the timetrial; to match that to Dunkirk you need to be down as far as Osnabrück, which itself is at least two road stages down from the Danish border. And as well as the team and official vehicles there's all the promotional caravan to think about - do your Grande Depart wherever then pack up and start the race properly later.

TRENDING THREADS