• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 1 (Copenhagen – Copenhagen, 13.2k/ITT)

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pogi gaining 9s in regards to Rogla on an opening TT. This indeed doesn't look good. Still lets not forget Ganna was an absolute favorite to win this stage. And if Rogla or JV had a plan to beat Pogi and to win GC on an opening TT. I somehow doubt that.

Opportunities will come as the Tour goes by. It's still up to them to grab them.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Still, can't compete with MVDP

FWmRogbXgAENZyo

As I said earlier, Merman.

AKA Blue Steel.

Watched the race on DVR dealyed here in USA, couldn't get back to read comments till afternoon here Pacific time. If I had been here and caught up on the broadcast I would Have to agree with roundabout

Yates must be a Spaceballs fan
Yatesy good time for a man with a helmet bigger than the athlete. Just think about it if he could get WVA helmet.

The first thing I though of of when Adam Yates pulled on the Goggles on the start Ramp, Was, was that helmet designed after the the Helmet from the Silly Movie "Spaceballs"

Where Rick Moranis playing Dark Helmet wore that ridiculous (Hilarious) helmet in the Movie. In the future if someone here has Photoshop Skills I bet there could be some great memes produced. :)

I am in disbelief. Poor Ganna beaten by so many people :eek:

Lampert?! :eek:
Well, Ganna did ride on a rear flat for part of the course.

Why are people here so down on Lampaert and calling him a cheater? I haven't been reading the forums very much in recent weeks so did I miss something or is it just the beef with Wellens? Surely it's not the socks? I don't think it's a big surprise as he's always been a really good TTer and the conditions with the wind and rain were really variable on a technical course. And I'm not even fully convinced the conditions changes gave him the win. That was a great ride

Last edited:
If Pidcock wasn’t British he wouldn’t have half the hype; not even if he was Belgium.
I think that's nonsense. You're telling me the 22 year-old reigning MTB Olympic champ and World cyclocross champ, the former Baby Giro champ and Paris-Roubaix Espoirs champ, who went toe to toe in sprints for the win in classics vs Wout Van Aert in Amstel and Brabanste Pijl in his debut WT year, who is still hopping from discipline to discipline and hasn't even fully focused on the road wouldn't have half the hype if he were from Belgium or another country? Yeah, I'm not buying that.

Bissegger chute, he won't be the last today

He literally crashed just in front of me, the same metre of road where I was stood. And then Bystrøm came three minutes later and crashed into the barrier, and my friends and I thought we would see an endless amount of crashes after that, but fortunately there were no more.

I tried to take personal times throughout the stage and the two fastest at our point were Bauke and Mathieu. Wout was two seconds slower, Ganna two seconds slower than him. Lampaert wasn't that good at our time point but clearly he did a good final part.

Honoré was four seconds faster than Teuns who was tenth on the stage but he crashed before the intermediate time point which was a real pity.

I am in disbelief. Poor Ganna beaten by so many people :eek:

Lampert?! :eek:
Not Lampert, Lampaert: in recent days we have learned that the Belgian greats have ae or ck: Remco is not Remcko...that's how close to Merckx that he will ever get. And in the Scrabble of cycling, the k is worth a lot.

So one year after noob's post, history repeats itself, in some sort of way. Ganna and Kung played it safe. Bissegger went for it and paid the price. Wout and MVP never hold back: respect. Pidcock (with ck, he must be Belgian, and k is worth a lot) had a fantastic ride.

On the favorites' side, Pog got the better of Rog...again. Vin was no Diesel. And Geraint erred on the side of caution, all he can hope for is for the two Slovenians to get covid or get popped.

Other iders had to show some cards, i.e. are you going for the GC?

Bauke, Bob, Adam, and Kamna want a podium spot. Bardet had a really good ITT, beating Quintana, Gaudu, even Birdsong and Mas. All gave a good effort.

Froome lost over a minute and "can't wait for the real race to begin". Omer Goldstein agrees...

Meintjes made a bid for the best top-10 of his career. Pinot walked his goats around the course.

Not a bad TdF start at all!

Last edited:

Why are people here so down on Lampaert and calling him a cheater? I haven't been reading the forums very much in recent weeks so did I miss something or is it just the beef with Wellens? Surely it's not the socks? I don't think it's a big surprise as he's always been a really good TTer and the conditions with the wind and rain were really variable on a technical course. And I'm not even fully convinced the conditions changes gave him the win. That was a great ride
Yeah I heard about Ganna flat later. I guess considering he rode with a puncture he had a really good ride.

I am not down on Lampaert, it was just unexpected.

I think that's nonsense. You're telling me the 22 year-old reigning MTB Olympic champ and World cyclocross champ, the former Baby Giro champ and Paris-Roubaix Espoirs champ, who went toe to toe in sprints for the win in classics vs Wout Van Aert in Amstel and Brabanste Pijl in his debut WT year, who is still hopping from discipline to discipline and hasn't even fully focused on the road wouldn't have half the hype if he were from Belgium or another country? Yeah, I'm not buying that.

He was beaten by van Aert at Amstel.

P.S. Beyond that i am on the hype train too.

Is it just my bias or does it seem like there is always an excuse with Skineos. Can't just be that the guy wasn't the best.

This. He's very close superstar level already. And as with every superstar, it can be seen when they're off and when they're on. When he's on he is on. Even Mathieu knows that and Wout knows that too.

I honestly believe Christophe Laporte could have won this ITT, if he hadn‘t crashed. He was 25th, 36 secs down. The crash probably cost him 30-40 secs.

I‘m Roglic fan. On one hand, I think all five JV domestiques should have ridden slow and safe.

On the other hand, I think the fact that even JV‘s domestiques rode a fast pace has something to do with respect for fans, sponsors, ASO and the TdF. When I saw Soler (last starter) riding, I missed this respect. He‘s a former winner of Paris-Nice, and a world class rider. Yesterday, he rode without obviously even breathing. No motivation for a good stage 1 rank. He‘s now in a road pro cyclist‘s best age, but his days of motivation for personal results in the biggest races seem to be already over.

TRENDING THREADS