• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 11 (Albertville – Col du Granon Serre Chevalier, 151.7k)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Joking aside I think it will be decided on Granon. No earlier drama unfortunately. And it will be Pog vs Vinge. Its likely that they will come to the finish together a fez dozens os seconds ahead of the next guy with Pog taking bonus seconds. If Pog has one of his superb performances he will drop everybody - Vinge will be within 30 40 seconds, other top guys over a minute down. But im not sure if Pog can do it in this hot weather.

Reactions: BR2 and Extinction
Having read the Tour's last and only visit to the Col du Granon was 20 July 1986, I decided to check out the footage of it:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0YDIb9Ts04

The commentary by Paul Sherwin and Phil Ligget is hilariously fraught with glaring mistakes (funny that, who'd have thought?). They had no idea where the once Robert Millar was, initially thinking he had broken away from Lemond (even stating the race radio (!) said Millar was 15 seconds ahead of Lemond, hoping the cameras would take them UP to Millar soon :tearsofjoy:), only to find out that Millar was in fact dropped by Zimmerman and Lemond! How can you make such a mistake? And then Ligget a couple of times referred to Millar as Lemond, getting the two mixed up in his head. :D

Yet at the time, Ligget in particular was the voice of European cycling for the Anglo-American world.

I can officially say that the Italian commentary has been infinitely better.

today is G-day.

the riders will tackle the two hardest climbs of this whole tour. the Galibier, where pantani dethroned ullrich, is the souvenir henri desGranGe for the 29th time. the Granon, where lemond slayed the badGer, is hiGh and lonG, and has a hiGh Gradient. the temperature above 30 deGrees celsius will add to the fatiGue in this queen staGe.

can poGacar hit them with his sledGehammer? hasn’t he been too Generous with the efforts of himself and his team? can vinGeGaard challenGe him at hiGh altitude? Is roGlic still a factor? can Geraint hanG on? can Gaudu keep the french hopes alive? who will rattle the small Gear and become le meilleur Grimpeur? Glance, Gape and GoGGle!

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and BR2
Having read the Tour's last and only visit to the Col du Granon was 20 July 1986, I decided to check out the footage of it:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0YDIb9Ts04

The commentary by Paul Sherwin and Phil Ligget is hilariously fraught with glaring mistakes (funny that, who'd have thought?). They had no idea where the once Robert Millar was, initially thinking he had broken away from Lemond (even stating the race radio (!) said Millar was 15 seconds ahead of Lemond, hoping the cameras would take them UP to Millar soon :tearsofjoy:), only to find out that Millar was in fact dropped by Zimmerman and Lemond! How can you make such a mistake? And then Ligget a couple of times referred to Millar as Lemond, getting the two mixed up in his head. :D

Yet at the time, Ligget in particular was the voice of European cycling for the Anglo-American world.

I can officially say that the Italian commentary has been infinitely better.

I have been wondering about these highlights packages. Did Phil and Paul actually comment live or did they pretend to?

Because often they have been incongruously good at identifying the winning rider when you consider their general cluelessness, so I have always had a suspicion that they knew the result in advance.

Are you guys ready for a million shots of

this

10.jpg

this
mobile_17387_Lacets-de-Montvernier_1.jpg

and this
images

?

According to usually serious Le Parisien, Vingegaard has back pains & has been receiving treatment from the team osteopath over the past few days:

Are they confusing him with Roglic? (who really does have back problems). No idea. But until they've amended their article, that's their story.

I think they have been confusing him with Roglic. The story vas been debunked in the Danish Twitter sphere.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Lui98
According to usually serious Le Parisien, Vingegaard has back pains & has been receiving treatment from the team osteopath over the past few days:

Are they confusing him with Roglic? (who really does have back problems). No idea. But until they've amended their article, that's their story.

Would be just another of Jumbo's blunders that a wrong rider is receiving treatment :D

Primoz: Man, my back still hurts, wonder where that massage is that I ordered
Vingegaard:

View: https://youtu.be/_au0UUHI2aI?t=18

Planning my bike ride so I'm back home for the start. Should be a good one today! But I think if Jumbo and/or Ineos doesn't send the right guys up front, UAE will just give them a lot of time so they won't be in range for a long attack to bridge with them. The main riders will wait for the Granon today.

Never seen the Granon. Bring it on, I'm excited!

Reactions: DrSahl
Pogacar realistically just needs one of Majka and Mcnulty to survive Galibier in maillot jaune group. Once on the Granon proper it will be everyman for himself. Logic dictates it calls for Jumbo to isolate pogacar on Galibier and take advantage on lower slopes of descent first kilometers of grannon to do a 1-2. Problem for Jumbo is pogacar so strong/unpredictable if isolated at top of galibier i could just as easy see him launch a move on galibier descent as he is probably the better descender of primoz or jonas

Reactions: Didinho
Today is the day if Jumbo and Ineos wants to hurt Poggy in any way.
I fully expect the likes of Roglic or Pidcock in an early mass break away perhaps with the support of half man half motors like WVA, Ganna or Van Baarle (although the last 2 were already in the break yesterday).

Here's to wishfull thinking and a spectacular stage. Pidcock to take yellow and stage.

TRENDING THREADS