• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 13 (Le Bourg d’Oisans – Saint-Étienne, 193.6k)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Only good climbers can win a mountain stage lol
Sprinting is part of cycling, it's that simple. 9 sprint stages is dumb tho, but so are 3. Riders also need easier stages. Do you really think everyone in the peloton is happy is every stage is hard?
Pidcock is maybe the 10th or 15th-best climber in the race but still wins on the most iconic MTF. The 10th-best sprinter has no chance of winning the most iconic sprint. Also, it usually isn't a choice between sprints and mountain stages, rather a choice between a guaranteed sprint and a day where you have some climbs to drop the sprinters who can't climb or help out the breakaway. Basically the Carcassonne stage last year versus the stage this year.

Because of the size and composition of the break, and the parcours still to come for the pure sprinters and their teams.
Having said that, the peloton are doing a better job of pegging things than I thought they would, so you never know.
Now the Ewan crash just tips things even more in favour of the break, but that's balanced out by the Steppers now getting involved I suppose.

They never had a big gap though, I know we've got guys like Ganna and Kung but unless the peloton stop chasing it's going to be very hard to stay ahead. Especially if JV are going to start chasing too.