• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 17 (Saint-Gaudens – Peyragudes, 129.7k)

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And to think, less than 2 years ago Vingegaard finished 46th a couple of months shy of his 24th birthday in the 2020 Vuelta, 2 hours behind Roglic.

Now, he simply cannot be dropped by the absolute generational talent, Pogacar, who finished 3rd in the 2019 Vuelta 2:55 down on Roglic at age 20 even as they are absolutely demolishing everyone else.

Insane stuff.
Vingegaard wasn't riding GC in that Vuelta. It's a complete strawman.

Earlier on I said that Pog has no team. How wrong I was - McNulty is a one-man team! It's ridiculous how he crushed all the remaining GC guys and the breakaway, it looked like a massive day in the making. And you know what? He exhausted Pogacar himself, who had no power to make another attack on Vinge. Congrats on a stage win but it was more like a Pyrrhic victory. Vingegaard in the pole position now, McNulty exhausted and all UAE can hope for is that today will tire Vinge more than Pogacar regarding the next stage (well, it didn't look like that at the finish).

And to think, less than 2 years ago Vingegaard finished 46th a couple of months shy of his 24th birthday in the 2020 Vuelta, 2 hours behind Roglic.

Now, he simply cannot be dropped by the absolute generational talent, Pogacar, who finished 3rd in the 2019 Vuelta 2:55 down on Roglic at age 20 even as they are absolutely demolishing everyone else.

Insane stuff.

It is. The world needs superheroes.

• Haha
Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
if Pogacar could have attacked, I think he would have.

worth noting that it was still awfully close to 2nd and Thomas is not exactly a poor TT, so getting the minute on him might have been considered a good day's work. not sure if it was a missed opportunity just because Vingegaard is the strongest climber in this race by a good margin

Kirby seems to think 'Gee' was doing a great job.

Aye, OK Carlton.

G had a pretty great day. He might not have lived with Pogagaard but he rode a very strong stage and largely soloed his way to an effectively unassailable podium margin on a day that could have provided some more traditional climbing talent a chance to steal real time on him

if Pogacar could have attacked, I think he would have.

worth noting that it was still awfully close to 2nd and Thomas is not exactly a poor TT, so getting the minute on him might have been considered a good day's work. not sure if it was a missed opportunity just because Vingegaard is the strongest climber in this race by a good margin
Yeah, UAE will definitely be super satisfied at tonight's dinner because of putting a minute to Geraint :D