• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 17 (Saint-Gaudens – Peyragudes, 129.7k)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I wonder if Ineos are finally going to actually do something other than riding for podium/top 10. Except for Pidcock's win they have been pretty damn boring for the entire TDF if you ask me. Ain't nobody going to remember they had 3 guys in the top 10, might as wel do something risky.
Easier said than done. You need a combination of great legs and the right opportunity. Not sure they've had either.

Reactions: yaco
I think Mas is trying to make the break. He already tried yesterday, but failed, which is why he attacked later on in the race. Apart from Pidcock, the better-placed guys in GC have a 6 minute advantage on him, so he should also have some kind of leeway.
Mas acknowledged yesterday that he was boxed in the middle of the pack when he saw the break going away. That's a strange way of trying. He needs to be lectured by some of his teammates.

Easier said than done. You need a combination of great legs and the right opportunity. Not sure they've had either.

That's true, but you would think someone like Yates is strong enough to maybe go for an early attack or something. Anything at all, really. All they have been doing is sit on everyone's wheel rather than trying to take advantage of their numbers. If they are trying to win the team classification then good for them I guess but nobody cares about that one.

Reactions: Sandisfan
That's true, but you would think someone like Yates is strong enough to maybe go for an early attack or something. Anything at all, really. All they have been doing is sit on everyone's wheel rather than trying to take advantage of their numbers. If they are trying to win the team classification then good for them I guess but nobody cares about that one.
Stares in Movistar...

I'd agree. Yates at his best is a more dynamic rider than Thomas, but in this Tour has looked one-paced - maybe the lingering effects of his illness. Thomas at this point in his career is a tempo rider - he doesn't have the accelerations to hurt Pog or Vingo. Pidcock isn't yet at the top level and Martinez has been sick.

My guess is that Ineos expected Martinez and Yates to be their leaders with Thomas as support. As it's turned out Thomas has been the strongest without being a threat.

Not sure what tactics they can employ to make a difference. Yates probably won't be allowed into a break and attacking on a climb to make 50m gap isn't going to work.

I'd agree. Yates at his best is a more dynamic rider than Thomas, but in this Tour has looked one-paced - maybe the lingering effects of his illness. Thomas at this point in his career is a tempo rider - he doesn't have the accelerations to hurt Pog or Vingo. Pidcock isn't yet at the top level and Martinez has been sick.

My guess is that Ineos expected Martinez and Yates to be their leaders with Thomas as support. As it's turned out Thomas has been the strongest without being a threat.

Not sure what tactics they can employ to make a difference. Yates probably won't be allowed into a break and attacking on a climb to make 50m gap isn't going to work.

They have been getting blown away for quite some years in the TDF now, for all the money that team has they sure have been disappointing more often than not.

They have been getting blown away for quite some years in the TDF now, for all the money that team has they sure have been disappointing more often than not.

It doesn’t really matter how much money you have if your rivals have the only riders who can win a Tour without something weird happening under contract. Having an expensively assembled squad of excellent riders can buy you an excellent season, but it’s very hard to win a Tour with them if you don’t have an obvious Tour competitor under contract, healthy and in form.

Outside of Majka, UAE have no one to destroy with. Pogacar will be by himself quite early here if they take it up then. I'd be expecting they'll go on Col d’Azet unless Pogacar really wants to try attacking on Aspin.
Mcnulty should be able to stay with Pogi for a while too.

Jonas wont have that help either when it goes hard. Laporte, Benoot and Van Hooydonck wont go long on climbs.

Kuss needs 3 miracle days this week and Van Aert has to play superman again.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS