• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 18 (Lourdes – Hautacam, 143.2k)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My take might be controversial here but I don't think this field is that strong. Thomas is 36 & Ineos aren't at their best.

If peak Bernal & Roglic were getting dropped by McNulty, then sure I'd be saying 'wow', but look at the names behind: Thomas, Bardet, Gaudu, Quintana (what year is this?).

I still think peak Pogacar should be going faster on that final climb.

On paper yes but all the numbers I'm seeing from guys who analyze climbing times, the insane overall speed of the peloton point to a very high level. Peak Bernal not so sure he stays with Pog/Vinge, peak Rog maybe hangs a bit more. For example I think Carapaz would be below Thomas level. The only rider at the moment who I see coming close to these two would be Hindley.

When everybody thought Pog is the next big thing. Unbeatable monster in GC. It took 2 years for even better monster to arrive. In a shape of a guy that looks like he hadn't eaten in months and couldn't climb 5 stairs. I think Jonas can drop Pog in high mountains anytime he wants.

When two Slovenians argued who will win this thing, there strolls a Danish guy.

How many people called the race over after Pog won at Longwy?

My take might be controversial here but I don't think this field is that strong. Thomas is 36 & Ineos aren't at their best.

If peak Bernal & Roglic were getting dropped by McNulty, then sure I'd be saying 'wow', but look at the names behind: Thomas, Bardet, Gaudu, Quintana (what year is this?).

I still think peak Pogacar should be going faster on that final climb.
I have also made this case elsewhere and mostly been shot down. If you go by numbers, the numbers indicate peak Roglic is right there with these guys. Mainly, Vingegaard has leveled up to Pog and Rog, Rog crashed out, and Pog had a horrendous day due to too much energy expenditure and excellent Jumbo tactics. Agreed on the references (Thomas, Bardet, Gaudu, Quintana, Yates) sort of saying it all. None of those guys have been competing with Roglic and Pogacar for years now. Why would they suddenly start not? The minute gap to G on stage 11 was no surprise; the 3 minutes to Pogacar was a huge deviation from previous performance.

I have also made this case elsewhere and mostly been shot down. If you go by numbers, the numbers indicate peak Roglic is right there with these guys. Mainly, Vingegaard has leveled up to Pog and Rog, Rog crashed out, and Pog had a horrendous day due to too much energy expenditure and excellent Jumbo tactics. Agreed on the references (Thomas, Bardet, Gaudu, Quintana, Yates) sort of saying it all. None of those guys have been competing with Roglic and Pogacar for years now. Why would they suddenly start not? The minute gap to G on stage 11 was no surprise; the 3 minutes to Pogacar was a huge deviation from previous performance.

Average speed this TdF is the highest ever. So far they are 0,5km'/h faster on average.
I haven't checked but what I hear from television is that Vingo and Poga are almost as fast as the impossible times set around 96-98.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Meanwhile on Twitter

w2lXLc9.png

I’m not sure what to make of those quotes by Vingegaard. If he thought the pace was easy on Peyragudes then I’m sure the rest of the peloton must be left scratching their heads as they (Pog and JV) still rode it almost 1 minute faster than the next rider and that after smashing the d‘Azet record on the penultimate climb!! He did look the fresher of the 2 riders at the finish though in a role reversal of PDBF. Pog actually was the one who looked shattered. If Vingegaard still has more left under the bonnet and he claims that tomorrow will suit him better, then he could go nuclear on Hautacam himself.

Or it could be just a big bluff and he was left shattered after today. From reading his body language though he definitely didn’t look it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
What I think will happen: Pogacar will try with multiple attacks and fail to get any distance from Vingegaard. Ultimately, Vingegaard will attack with 1-2km to go and put 10-20 seconds into Pogacar, winning the stage.

What I hope will happen:
Pogacar will try with multiple attacks and finally snap the elastic, riding away from Vingegaard. Ultimately, Pogacar will TT to the finish, putting about 2 minutes into Vingegaard, setting up for an ITT showdown.

TRENDING THREADS