• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 20 (Lacapelle-Marival – Rocamadour, 40.7k/ITT)

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A bit too reckless by Vingegaard on the descent. He obviously wanted to win the stage but Jumbo dominated the race and looking at how both teams were weakened, I don't think the missing riders would have made much difference to the overall. Vingegaard's form and WVA were dominant. Seems that Vingegaard just improved in the past 12 months and Pogacar wasn't quite in last year's form. Groupama will be happy with Gaudu's ride so the French now have someone else to cheer for after Bardet and Pinot couldn't get it done. Be interesting to see how many of their team they retain in the long term as Jumbo's success will have other teams circling as is always the way. Wouldn't surprise me to see Roglic move on. Not sure how WVA can be stopped from winning the Worlds especially on that course.

Cycling lives!!

I really had nearly no expectations for this years tour, but in the end, it has been the best one in years, if not decades.

Long range attacks in the high mountains, absolutely strong contested initial phases of nearly every stage. Very nice overall fight for the polka dot jersey and the most important thing a real fight for the yellow jersey until the last mountain stage. One year ago, I thought cycling would be death for the next ten years. I am so glad, that I was wrong..

A bit too reckless by Vingegaard on the descent. He obviously wanted to win the stage..
No he didn't.. Van Aert and Jonas explain it in their postrace interview.
Jumbo Visma's agenda today.. was for Jonas to not give any time to Pogacar.. and simply start out strong and not give possible motivation & incentive to Pogacar.. and keep monitoring if Van Aert could win the TT stage.

- also why you saw Jonas - dropping the pace the last few KM's - the moment it was clear that Jonas would not lose any time to Pogacar, and even were ahead of Pogacar TT time, and the win for Van Aert was in the bank. (today's Jumbo-plan)

Last edited:
He teetered on complete disaster twice in the last few days: the last descent on stage 18 with that pedal strike and today in that corner. Could have been TDF over both times.
But maybe that is just the nature of riding a grand tour to win. Luck (the avoidance of bad luck) will be a factor because of the risks a winner must take.

Why does everybody always think that a crash would be the end?

If he had crashed today and fell into the grass, sure it would have hurt and not been very dignified but there's no way it would have cost the TdF victory.

Anyway, pretty amazing what he has done this race. Too bad he is so bad in the media but every guy cannot be an entertainer.

Reactions: Sandisfan
What a performance by Vingegaard. Pogacar won himself a lot of fans, he seems like a really nice guy, just enjoying the rides, always congratulating the better (Vingegaard) rider. WVA as expected.

Also, great Tour by Thomas. And the most interesting thing is that he wasn't exactly surrounded by Ineos. Literally, FDJ had better support for Gaudu.

...Meanwhile the atmosphere in Jumbo's bus is horrible. Everyone is pissed for the stage 4 fiasco where Wout's selfishness cost Jonas 5 seconds.

Too bad he is so bad in the media but every guy cannot be an entertainer.
It ain't comedy,..
if you want English-speaking comedians.. you're in the wrong segment.. this is pro cycling...we are all different. some people are introverts and kudos for that.
Jonas Vingegaard looks to be very emotional and almost was in tears talking about what his two girls meens to him and the brotherly love they had for each other on the Jumbo Visma team.
some people love attention' and crave for it at every turn, and some simply don't... not least in this social media era..where it gets tacky & fake very fast - to maintain a certain rep for the "media".

Jonas needs to be himself and not change his demeanor..
The same view.. I also had about another Dane "Christian Eriksen".. that got some heat for not being more gesticulating, aggressive, heated, and not least being "bad" around the foreign media.

_ This is quite a few years old and before Jonas Vingegaard got famous.. his mother-in-law "Rosa" was more famous after a danish baking show back in 2016/2017 (Bagedysten 2017)
but you can see how shy and introverted - he is around a camera in this clip and never looks at the camera, - even in danish language at his mother-in-law's own home, and a place where he should feel very at home - and this is just cooking recipes for a small YT channel.
Jonas is clearly not that comfortable around cameras & being in the spotlight ..and I personally like that.

(in danish)
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94wxfROvZvA

Last edited:
It ain't comedy,..
if you want English-speaking comedians.. you're in the wrong segment.. this is pro cycling...we are all different. some people are introverts and kudos for that.
Jonas Vineggaard looks to be very emotional and almost was in tears talking about what his two girls mean to him and the Jumbo Visma team and the brotherly love they had for each other..
some people love attention and crave for it at every turn, and some simply don't... not least in this social media era..where it gets fake & tacky very fast to maintain a certain rep for the media..

The same view.. I also had about another Dane "Christian Eriksen".. that got some heat for not being more gesticulating, aggressive, heated, and not least being "bad" around the foreign media.

i couldn’t agree more. Great post

Reactions: Sandisfan
Why does everybody always think that a crash would be the end?

If he had crashed today and fell into the grass, sure it would have hurt and not been very dignified but there's no way it would have cost the TdF victory.

Anyway, pretty amazing what he has done this race. Too bad he is so bad in the media but every guy cannot be an entertainer.
To me it looked like if he’d crashed he would have gone straight into a natural rock wall, not landing in the grass.

It ain't comedy,..
Jonas Vingegaard looks to be very emotional and almost was in tears talking about what his two girls meens to him and the brotherly love they had for each other on the Jumbo Visma team.
some people love attention' and crave for it at every turn, and some simply don't... not least in this social media era..where it gets tacky & fake very fast - to maintain a certain rep for the "media".

_ This is quite a few years old and before Jonas Vingegaard got famous.. his mother-in-law "Rosa" was more famous after a danish baking show back in 2016/2017 (Bagedysten 2017)
but you can see how shy and introverted - he is around a camera in this clip and never looks at the camera, - even in danish language at his mother-in-law's own home, and a place where he should feel very at home - and this is just cooking recipes for a small YT channel.
Jonas is clearly not that comfortable around cameras & being in the spotlight ..and I personally like that.

(in danish)

I know all that... But it is a bit easier for me to root for people I can relate a little bit to and that's hard with him. But no doubt it is because he is very shy.

It ain't comedy,..

(in danish)
I get it, you're Danish but could you just tone it down ever so slightly with defending Vingegaardand the information overload whenever he gets the slightest bit of criticism?
I couldn't give a hoot about who is in-laws are. I'm here for the cycling. He delivered a great performance and I congratulate him. I actually kind of like the guy as well but you're not making it very easy..

A bit too reckless by Vingegaard on the descent. He obviously wanted to win the stage but Jumbo dominated the race and looking at how both teams were weakened, I don't think the missing riders would have made much difference to the overall. Vingegaard's form and WVA were dominant. Seems that Vingegaard just improved in the past 12 months and Pogacar wasn't quite in last year's form. Groupama will be happy with Gaudu's ride so the French now have someone else to cheer for after Bardet and Pinot couldn't get it done. Be interesting to see how many of their team they retain in the long term as Jumbo's success will have other teams circling as is always the way. Wouldn't surprise me to see Roglic move on. Not sure how WVA can be stopped from winning the Worlds especially on that course.
Pogacar confirmed he was very much in last years form. So no that one doesn't fly.

The difference was the mistake on the Granon stage and generally just Vingegaard being equal to him on the shorter climbs and better than him on the longest climbs..

I have question marks on Wout in races over 250kms - Yes, he won MSR but that is a unique race - He was also a close second to MVP in 2021 Ronde but otherwise he's missing a bit .

TRENDING THREADS