• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 4 (Dunkerque – Calais, 171.5k)

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Quite telling that Jumbo goes for stages rather than GC. Van Aert only had to wait for like 2 seconds and Vingegaard would have been in his wheel. With Vingo and Yates pulling they would have arrived and get the stage anyways.

They won't have much chances to get a gap on Tadej like they did today. Tomorrow is another chance but let's see how it pans out.

People are so overly caught up in the GC as Roglic and Vingegaard should have to special priority to the, by far, better rider (WHO BTW IS IN YELLOW). Roglic looked like shite. Vingegaard close to hold on, but if you wanna get to the finish and again seconds, you better freaking earn it.

God damn man, this race is not all about the GC. You better give this man the freedom he deserves, this is something very, very special we are witnessing, and all you guys can do is moan about him not waiting for VIngegaard or a pathetic Roglic.

If Roglic was shte, what was Pogacar? Super shte? Roglic was behind his teammates at the start of the climb & needed to sprint to bridge the initial gap.

In the end I believe that looked like weird tactics because Jonas clearly tried to hang on at the top, so I think there was something else planned as well which didn't materialize (something like Paris-Nice stage 1).

If I was Van Aert, I would tell them to go cry in a *** corner. The yellow jersey jumps off from the front of the peloton in a sprint stage 10km from the finish and takes 20 seconds - what's better than that?

Winning the TdF.

People are so overly caught up in the GC as Roglic and Vingegaard should have to special priority to the, by far, better rider (WHO BTW IS IN YELLOW). Roglic looked like shite. Vingegaard close to hold on, but if you wanna get to the finish and again seconds, you better freaking earn it.

God damn man, this race is not all about the GC. You better give this man the freedom he deserves, this is something very, very special we are witnessing, and all you guys can do is moan about him not waiting for VIngegaard or a pathetic Roglic.
This. I'd like to see him ride for himself now, until he is behind Vingegaard or Roglic in the GC.

Reactions: spalco
Yeah, it looked like he could have if he had helped Yates on top of the climb, right when they went over tge crest.

And if Vingegaard helps Yates then Yates takes time out of Roglic. If Yates could stay with Van Aert, then sure, then you have Jonas pull to make sure Wout has the legs to beat Yates at the end like he should, but no reason to help Yates catch up.

Absolutely. The team will have a very happy dinner tonight.
Yes, also that. And lets not ignore the first team car tomorrow which can be huge. The team is firing on all cylinders right now and all are very happy, but better wait for Roglic who managed to lose - wait for it - 20 seconds on a 950 metres climb to the specimen that is Wout!

This is peak performance right now. Just enjoy it! Incredible performance.

Wout should have waited for Vingegaard and yates

He would ahve still won and Vinge could have gotten time back on Pog

Poor tactics imo

At the end it will be Pog v Vinge for yellow

At first I thought so to but:

• why give Yates the 20-ish second for free knowing he and Vingegaard would have to do all the work? If there was no Yates but instead Roglic, then yes, you would have been 100% right.
  • Waiting for the 5-ish seconds that it would have taken for Vingegaard to get back, it could have cost him the break because the others were only a few more seconds behind Vingegaard and Yates

All in, I think he took the best decision. And if you win a stage in that way, you're always right. Impressive ride.

People are so overly caught up in the GC as Roglic and Vingegaard should have some special priority to the, by far, better rider (WHO BTW IS IN YELLOW). Roglic looked like shite. Vingegaard close to hold on, but if you wanna get to the finish and again seconds, you better freaking earn it.

Van Aert is supposed to be better on this kind of hill though, shouldn't be the expectation that Roglic and Vingegaard follow him when he's going full gas. Having said that, waiting for Roglic wasn't an option when he got dropped so easily. Waiting for Vingegaard might have been, but it would have risked the stage win to gain 10-15 seconds (including bonifications) at best. That's hindsight talking though, I think both waiting for Vingegaard but not Roglic and what actually happened were valid tactical options in the moment and who knows, maybe the other one would have turned out to be better, but it shouldn't turn out to be critical by the time we reach Paris.

If Roglic was shte, what was Pogacar? Super shte? Roglic was behind his teammates at the start of the climb & needed to sprint to bridge the initial gap.
Roglic sat in the wheels of the team and had to drop. Pogacar was out of position at the base of the climb because of a lack of teammates. I'm sure you could have figured that out yourself if you used that little head of yours for a second.

If I was Van Aert, I would tell them to go cry in a *** corner. The yellow jersey jumps off from the front of the peloton in a sprint stage 10km from the finish and takes 20 seconds - what's better than that?
Lmao.

How many monuments and GTs has Van Aert won in the last 2 years?

If the guy thinks stage wins are bigger than the GC they should boot him from the team yesterday

It was a Cat 4 900 metre punchy climb. I wouldn't be reading too much into Roglic and Pogacar losing wheels today. It might even have been a tactical decision to sit up from Roglic and I think it will all seem very trivial in a weeks time. That said Vingegaard looks very strong based on what we've seen in the Dauphine and here so far.
I don't see what Roglic had to gain tactically from sitting up. It's a win-win situation if he stays up front.

Reactions: Eeslliw
To be fair, Pogacar caught Roglic over the top while starting from way further back. Its not a good sign that Roglic can't match Vingegaard on an explosive effort. You would rather expect it the other way around.

Van Aert is more concerned about his own performance than the team's. We know that from previous Grand Tours. But that's how a star acts, right?

Mads Pedersen is certain the peloton could have caught him if they had organized it between them - but cyclists are "stupid" as he puts it, ironically.

I don't think there's any way WVA goes on his own without approval from the DS.

Vingegaard and Rog will have their chances in the big hills. This stage was perfect for WVA.

In the end I believe that looked like weird tactics because Jonas clearly tried to hang on at the top, so I think there was something else planned as well which didn't materialize (something like Paris-Nice stage 1).

Winning the TdF.
You do realize that Roglic had perfect positioning while Pogacar was nowhere to be found because his team is incredibly underwhelming apart from high mountains?

TRENDING THREADS