• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 4 (Dunkerque – Calais, 171.5k)

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yates is supposedly first in the Ineos picking order, if so it would be weird for him not to cooperate in a situation like that.
Also slows down the chase behind if an Ineos rider is up front.
Let's also be real, if you're worried about Adam Yates gaining a few extra sec on one of your gc riders in a gt you can't really believe that you'll be able to challenge Pogacar...

Don't get me wrong, that was very exciting, but you have to question Jumbo's overall targets. They are going to pay for all these efforts, in two weeks time when their two leaders could be isolated against a thermonuclear Pogi.........
Jumbo don't fatigue though, they are always in peak form every race day for 9 months, I think the traditional 3 or 4 peaks of form just don't apply to any of their main riders.

It was a Cat 4 900 metre punchy climb. I wouldn't be reading too much into Roglic and Pogacar losing wheels today. It might even have been a tactical decision to sit up from Roglic and I think it will all seem very trivial in a weeks time. That said Vingegaard looks very strong based on what we've seen in the Dauphine and here so far.

Agree this completely. I think JV is doing what they planned, the Telekom thing, green and yellow and it goes well atm. Vingegaard, lets hope he's not playing too hot too early or does he already know that he's front end form and Rogla is back end form? It's one tactical way to think when playing against Pogi.

Jumbo don't fatigue though, they are always in peak form every race day for 9 months, I think the traditional 3 or 4 peaks of form just don't apply to any of their main riders.
Yes I should've remembered that, and don't forget riders like Laptorte all of a sudden turning into prime Tom Boonen after doing nothing at Cofidis for all those years....
If say anything more I get in big trouble...

• Wow
Reactions: spalco
Thought it was ridiculous btw that the camera was on Perez at the start of the climb, at that point all eyes should be on the peloton. But I suppose the French breakaway hero was more important.
Giro-disease. I sensed something was up just as they crested then uncategroized climb when Jumbo and Ineos domestiques started to accelerate super hard, but then they clipped so Perez.

Those 2 teams are also by far the 2 strongest in the race and the most well rounded rosters. I expect them to do something similar tomorrow, because as we all know, Pogacar (mostly his team) is super vulnerable!

Reactions: Lui98 and kingjr
We couldn't see anything from the run-up to the climb. First the monument with the peloton far away and then 200m of Perez after the small sharp turns. After the last corner we only saw 5 jumbo's and 3 Ineos. And next Wout to the top. No one else was in the picture. Pogi looked good, also Sagan at the front.
Alpecin was behind Jumbo all the time and Mathieu was only the 4th from his team at the top.
Curious if something happened in the corners.

At what stage up that climb were Ineos forcing the pace?

They were just trying to follow like everyone else, and the first three non-Jumbo riders over the top were from Ineos.
Ineos and Jumbo accellerated hard at the front, presumably to isolate Pogacar, but then Thomas dropped and when Van Aert pushed on only Yates was within reach but faded. If Thomas could have gotten on Van Aert's wheel he would have gained something today, but he could not. Pogacar was caught off gaurd and when he started to come back, he probably rode the fastest up the climb, but it was too late. So the tactic worked, but nobody benefited from it and only Van Aert came home with victory. I don't know how in the overall economics of the Tour, however, this benefits Jumbo.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yes I should've remembered that, and don't forget riders like Laptorte all of a sudden turning into prime Tom Boonen after doing nothing at Cofidis for all those years....

He was in the top 30 riders in the world in his last year at Cofidis though? Which is impressive for someone on a smaller team, who doesn't tend to win sprints, but is versatile enough to get consistent results across a variety of terrains.

Laporte was good at Cofidis already, he just didn't have the wins. He was always up there in top 5-10, now he is only benefiting from being in much stronger team (his win in Paris-Nice is direct result of that for example).

Nobody can possibly be surprised about how this stage turned out.
WVA attacking on that final bump.
Over 100 riders finish 8" behind.

I'm not saying everyone was predicting exactly this finish, but certainly most everyone must have seen it as a strong possibility when they saw the profile.

Giro-disease. I sensed something was up just as they crested then uncategroized climb when Jumbo and Ineos domestiques started to accelerate super hard, but then they clipped so Perez.

Those 2 teams are also by far the 2 strongest in the race and the most well rounded rosters. I expect them to do something similar tomorrow, because as we all know, Pogacar (mostly his team) is super vulnerable!

Prolly not doing it because Pogi and UAE could be vulnerable but because of green they need to yank the bars early and for every easy stage to lock that green as early as possible. They need Wout too at least when second half begins.

UAE imho is more defence team atm and JV is more attacking team whereas Ineos is somewhere in between these days, well new DS Steve C..are we seeing something new this year?

TRENDING THREADS