• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 4 (Dunkerque – Calais, 171.5k)

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Van Aert could've duo TT'ed to the finish with Vingegaard and people would still complain he took away 4 boni seconds from Vingegaard. It's starting to get ridiculous.
HAH, yes, I thought about that as well. Obviously this was Van Aert's stage after triple 2nd in a row, but people would unironically do that. Its ridicolous, but also quite funny from some posters since its so god damn predictable. Trying to hold generational talents down to work for lesser riders, smh.

I wouldn't call McNulty, Soler and Hirschi average riders.
There might be doubts about their shape and/or commitment though.

Yeah, the „average rider“ for me rather was Stake Laengen.

Majka is great, in the mountains.

George Bennett has deteriorated a little bit over the last few years/in recent times. Bjerg seems to have or have had problems to arrive at Elite Pro level. McNulty, Soler and Hirschi, in recent times, lacked these 2-5% which are needed to succeed in the top races of the world.

OK, it‘s a solid line-up, but (IMHO) certainly weaker than Jumbo (who even left Dennis at home; with a 100% shape Dennis, Jumbo would be even better…)…

Reactions: Sandisfan
Perfect move with jumbo but it will turn down as a terrible move because Pogacar now knows Roglic is not the same as previous years
Meh. I think Roglic and Vingegaard had their marks to track. And the Dauphine gave more of an indication of where Roglic is. Either he is truly behind, or his peak will be in week 3 (perhaps he has learned from previous races?)

We couldn't see anything from the run-up to the climb. First the monument with the peloton far away and then 200m of Perez after the small sharp turns. After the last corner we only saw 5 jumbo's and 3 Ineos. And next Wout to the top. No one else was in the picture. Pogi looked good, also Sagan at the front.
Alpecin was behind Jumbo all the time and Mathieu was only the 4th from his team at the top.
Curious if something happened in the corners.

I think Martinez and Thomas sat up when they saw Roglic not following van Aert. After them came Pogacar and Bardet + someone else, later Sagan at the head of a larger group.

Why are some people judging too fast? Jumbo's tactics, WVA loyalty etc. Let's wait and see in Paris, shall we?
I mean, what was to gain this stage? 10-15 seconds at best. They wont decide the Tour. What if giving some freedom to WVA makes him do a Boom and this way Vin/Rog gains 2 minutes on Pog tomorrow or in some of the other stages? What if Pog wins the Tour by 3 minutes, Philipsen wins the stage today and WVA doesn't win a stage this tour? It was nothing much to gain today GC wise, not like Pog was minute behinf Vingegaard.

Besides, you have to keep (one of) your star riders happy.

Thomas getting droped is not a good sign for Ineos. In fact for the entire time today was a debacle. They forced the pase with Jumbo, only to get dropped one by one.
Jumbo absolutely used Ineos and then abused them. Jonas sitting on Yates was ideal and they had enough controlling power to help Wout maintain his gap. If Jonas or Primoz had gone everyone would have chased. As it was Ineos tried/failed and a few sprinter hopefuls like QS attempted but didn't have a collective effort. Great win for WvA and Jumbo.

DP forums be like...

"Good lord this race is boring!"
"The course designers should be locked up!"
"This is the worst Tour in years!"
"Why is no one doing anything?!!"

Generational talent in Yellow Jersey attacks, drops the entire field, solos 10k to win in spectacular fashion...

"What an idiot! This team is so stupid"

FFS.

I follow a TV show and forum where people write about how much they hate the show. I wonder why they watch. Shouldn't they be doing something they enjoy? Very strange behavior.

Hilarious! He's always been a good sport about it.

Why are some people judging too fast? Jumbo's tactics, WVA loyalty etc. Let's wait and see in Paris, shall we?
I mean, what was to gain this stage? 10-15 seconds at best. They wont decide the Tour. What if giving some freedom to WVA makes him do a Boom and this way Vin/Rog gains 2 minutes on Pog tomorrow or in some of the other stages? What if Pog wins the Tour by 3 minutes, Philipsen wins the stage today and WVA doesn't win a stage this tour? It was nothing much to gain today GC wise, not like Pog was minute behinf Vingegaard.

Besides, you have to keep (one of) your star riders happy.
We don’t even need to wait that long . . . After tomorrow and then after the 3 pretty girls we will have a much better idea of the shape the race might take. I mentioned this in another recent race—it’s like fans at pro golf tourney who want to be the first to shout “IN THE HOLE” before anyone else, even though they have no idea where that particular shot is going.

We don’t even need to wait that long . . . After tomorrow and then after the 3 pretty girls we will have a much better idea of the shape the race might take. I mentioned this in another recent race—it’s like fans at pro golf tourney who want to be the first to shout “IN THE HOLE” before anyone else, even though they have no idea where that particular shot is going.
Nailed it.

Jumbo absolutely used Ineos and then abused them. Jonas sitting on Yates was ideal and they had enough controlling power to help Wout maintain his gap. If Jonas or Primoz had gone everyone would have chased. As it was Ineos tried/failed and a few sprinter hopefuls like QS attempted but didn't have a collective effort. Great win for WvA and Jumbo.
Exactly, but let's see if Jumbo can duplicate tomorrow. Wout isn't riding for GC, so tomorrow he should go full gas again to make things difficult for Ineos and Pogacar. But will he have the legs after today? Then MvdP should go balistic tomorrow and I bet Pogacar will be with him.

If i am Jumbo im going to question if i can trust wout to wait for Jonas and Roglic and be a team player tomorrow. honestly he rode his own show last year also the stage roglic crashed. He wins stages and brings awarnes for the sponsors but for the team cohesion i would question how good it is.
Van Aer
Wout should have waited for Vingegaard and yates

He would ahve still won and Vinge could have gotten time back on Pog

Poor tactics imo

At the end it will be Pog v Vinge for yellow
Yes the 4 seconds they POSSIBLY could have gained would have been worth it
not only would the sprinter teams be working but helped by the gc teams too

TRENDING THREADS