• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 4 (Dunkerque – Calais, 171.5k)

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Are you really sure Van Aert will be on dom duties tomorrow?

I could see him having a free role tomorrow as well.

They have Laporte, Van Hooydonck and Benoot that could baby-sit the others.

Kuss and Kruijswjik should just try to get through the stage without crashing.

I could see it ending badly for Vingegaard and Roglic trying to follow Van Aert.

As a fan I would much rather see Van Aert vs MVDP for the stage-win and at the same time follow the chaos behind with the GC-riders.

He played Garzelli in their roleplay as 2008 LA-MSS. Van Aert was hoping to play Ángel Vicioso, but in the end because even when they're this strong there's still the possibility of a minor reminder that they are Rabobank taking place, so poor positioning and situational awareness prevented Rogla getting up there too.

Reactions: MartinGT
You're counting on other GT teams making a big strategic mistake. No way other GT teams would let Pogacar chase alone against WVA, Vingegaard and Yates.
Oh really, make Pogacar work versus chase WVA to limit "damages?" Every team with a GC interest in today's race, onec WVA incredibly dropped his own GC leaders, should have put Pogacar and UEA in the hotseat alone!

But Wout is not a GC contender! And he never will be. However, the problem with Ineos is that they went for it hook, line and sinker! They should have let Wout go, given that he has no concern for the GC of his team, but only me first.

You may be right, but I do not think it's impossible that WVA could be a GC contender after Ventoux last year. The man can climb. The problem for him is whether he can sustain this level over several mountain stages, and that seems not likely. But impossible?

Reactions: Extinction
Yates and Vingegaard extremely impressive ending the climb within 2 seconds of WVA, who is the best in the world on that sort of drag by a distance currently. The BEX rider pulling off in front kinda screwed Thomas who had to dig to close it and Roglic/Martinez screwed themselves with poor positioning at points in the climb. If they would've made it over with the second 2 on the road I think WVA waits and a ttt puts 30 seconds into Pogacar with a crazy strong front group. With the situation as it was carrying on over the top was absolutely the best move for WVA as the addition of Yates/Vingegaard would've been too much of a risk with the other GC favourites having at least limited help behind.

I would say I'm surprised Vingegaard didn't try and bridge to Van Aert at the top there, even if it might've messed up Wout's chances I think in the same situation a Contador/Armstrong/Froome doesn't hesitate one bit, drag Yates with you who cares.

Pogacar is going to drop some insane climbing performances no doubt but his flat/rouler team is a joke, JV and Sky should go hard with their entire teams off the front the second they see him down in the group tomorrow, maybe try and take advantage of the likely MVP/Sagan attacks, because in the second week the terrain is less in their favour. It's not that he can't ride cobbles, I've no doubt he will be legit on them, it's just that I don't expect him to be in good positions at the start of the sectors.

Edit: Just seen Matthews 9th... NICE.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
“In the end, it was OK because Wout van Aert dropped even his own teammates. When I saw that, I was more calm and I didn’t stress." Van Aert disrupted his own teammate's chance at putting time on Tadej. Briliant.
That's what you saw? I saw Vingo purposely sitting on the lone Ineos guy and Primoz parked on GT. That puts a momentary damper on Ineos chasing and they had the most guys present.
Tadej wasn't in the area code when Wout and Vingo topped the hill so he must have x-ray eyes on top of Superman legs. No serious GC guys stayed involved in chasing him after he had 15 seconds. If they had their DS would be screaming into their headpiece to "let the fu*king sprinters teams work!" The GC contenders stuck with Vingo and Primoz as they should.
The odd part was MvP should have been there....

Reactions: red_flanders
Congratulations to Wout van Aert for winning the stage and for doing that in an impressive fashion.

Magnus again in a breakaway collecting points. And after to return to the peloton with a gift bag. Like Christmas but better. Was a rather nervous stage. JV being smart and letting other teams control for the first part of the stage. But they knew all along what they wanted today. And that is for van Aert to win the stage. Ideal scenario for them likely was Jumbo 1 2 3. But obviously against such strong field this is nearly an impossible task. What they achieved is just as impressive. If lets say Roglič, Vingegaard and van Aert would made it over the top and together. Ideally for Laporte to be there too. Then they would go for it in GC context. Roglič was the first one to realize this ain't going to happen today hence he did the right thing. To let it go. Vingegaard joining van Aert would in my opinion drop their chances to win the stage today and i doubt any GC time would be gained. Pogi had to chase, though. He was left isolated at the bottom of the climb and basically the whole JV drilling it ahead. He for sure was in difficulty. Catching Rogla wasn't enough as Vingegaard was still ahead.

Beautiful stage.

This is what strikes me the most and I actually miss - it's not that I'm all attached to Bianchi bikes per se, it's just that the Bianchi Celeste color itself always stuck out and I personally liked. Bora comes close, but it's just not the same.

So much history of this bike in cycling! Although not a large number of victories in the TdF. Rog almost brought glory to the Bianchi blue in 2020, but alas we all know how that story ended . . .

Reactions: Sandisfan
I really don’t know how this was made but if true (on TV it rather looked like Roglic was placed way better than Pogacar since Roglic was on Vingegaards wheel at some point - but that might have indeed been an off-camera sprint already to get there), interesting. Or at least a very different story from what I was able to see on TV.

Edit: ok, apparently live GPS data was used. Don’t think that’s reliable enough…

View: https://twitter.com/MortiroloA/status/1544381874889531393?s=20&t=aFnRu-3ybteb0ll6BmBdog

Last edited:
Reactions: gregrowlerson
I really don’t know how this was made but if true (on TV it rather looked like Roglic was placed way better than Pogacar since Roglic was on Vingegaards wheel at some point - but that might have indeed been an off-camera sprint already to get there), interesting. Or at least a very different story from what I was able to see on TV.

Edit: ok, apparently live GPS data was used. Don’t think that’s reliable enough…

View: https://twitter.com/MortiroloA/status/1544381874889531393?s=20&t=aFnRu-3ybteb0ll6BmBdog
In Roglic' thread this is explained. People thinking he started way back because they mistake nr 11 for a reverse 13 of Kruijswijk. Roglic was the last JV of a train of 6 at the front of the peloton at the base.

Van Aer

Yes the 4 seconds they POSSIBLY could have gained would have been worth it
not only would the sprinter teams be working but helped by the gc teams too

What ? wait ?
Wout won by 8 seconds from the full field so you are saying if he had Yates and Vingegaard he would have won by less than having the full peloton after him

So 8 +4 = 16 a minimum for Vingegaard and puts him at the very least 8 seconds ahead of Pogacar
Could have beaten Yates and had more or 3 could have been stronger than one

See at the very end of the highlights where Pogacar says to WVA that it was 'good you dropped your guys also' Pog knows the score

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca238Epc7Dw

“In the end, it was OK because Wout van Aert dropped even his own teammates. When I saw that, I was more calm and I didn’t stress." Van Aert disrupted his own teammate's chance at putting time on Tadej. Briliant.

This was just Pogacar attempting to play mind games, tomorrow is the stage where there is really something to be gained for Jumbo. He will be under pressure again unless his teammates find some form. If Vingegaard and/or Roglic can hang on to Van Aert's wheel, we might see a similar situation to 2010 where Andy Schleck rode Cancellera's wheel to gain time on his rivals on the cobbles,

Nah, Wout will lose an hour in the Alps probably. No need if you potentially can win 10-12 stages throughout a race and win green without trying. This is peak Sagan on steorids, thats what we are talking about, and thats what many posters want to devote 100% to Vingegaard and Roglic.

Ludicrous!
Agreed - insane. During Sagans run of 6(?) green jerseys he never looked as dominant as Wout does regularly. The breadth is insane. Champs, Ventoux, ITT, solo puncheur attacks from 10k, bunch sprints….mind boggling. But also a challenge for JV’s yellow Jersey ambitions. Team Sky won so many yellow jerseys by being relentlessly focused on one thing only.
He is probably partially playing mind games but also his expressions said, WTF how did I get so lucky there?

catalog-cover.jpeg

The shareholders at Jumbo and at Visma are furious that this bike team is generating so much business for their companies instead of trying to win the GC.

Wout was outstanding and it was great to see Jumbo Visma and Ineos turn on the burners.

Pogacar was lucky as he was too far back and got caught out but he recovered pretty easily. His team was abysmal as you could see him looking around early in the chase of WVA trying hard to find his teammates as if to say where the **** are you. Hirschi and McNulty should have been there.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS