• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 5 (Lille Métropole – Arenberg Porte du Hainaut, 157k)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Of course G won't be in it.
Neither such a break is sure to go the distance.
You're probably right. In most cases I would not expect the break to last in a possible sprint stage in week 1 of the tour. But I do think because of the pave, there are enough classics guys without GC responsibilities that they might fancy their chances by going in the early break. Just conjecture, I'm content to wait and see.

ineos and jumbo must try to isolate pog and then hope he has some bad luck and loses a chunk of time.

if they do not try they are just serving up their own crushing in the mountains, which will likely happen no matter what.

personally, i wouldn't mind if Pog lost 4-5 minutes. what he will then do in the mountains will be history-making.

if pog loses no time, i will consider this TDF over (barring injury/mishap).

UAE are kinda crying to lose the Tour. Their team is weak in this kind of stages and they didn't do much to address that weakness. Yes, unlucky with Trentin, but apart from him, I fail to see someone really useful it their roster.
Made me think, why they went for Ackermann instead of Laporte? Did they even try?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Will likely be a race defining stage. Hard to see beyond GC teams and their leaders to not be affected by it in some way.

As for some predictions. Moho to win it. Beyond that it would be rather silly to try to predict anything at all. Teams and their leaders know what they have to do. Cobbles know that too.

More of nothing, only JV has the key, using every opportunity to attack Pog. but I don't see it.

Dry cobbles are OK for all those guys who have been riding competitive cycling all their life. We often forget how good even the weakest in the pro peloton is, Not much to expect, well, maybe.In the world of the new

I’m sure they have all ridden Flandrian cobbles or the equivalent during their careers, but some non-Classics riders will not have much experience with Roubaix-type pave’ in race conditions. I know we didn’t get huge gaps or crash-induced time losses happening in the previous 2 Tour editions that included Roubaix sectors, but in those cases Ineos was still the dominant team and wanted to just get through without problems. Jumbo and this current Ineos team, on the other hand, could be willing to take more risks this time around. Or perhaps that’s just wishful thinking on my part :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
More of nothing, only JV has the key, using every opportunity to attack Pog. but I don't see it.

Dry cobbles are OK for all those guys who have been riding competitive cycling all their life. We often forget how good even the weakest in the pro peloton is, Not much to expect, well, maybe.In the world of the new

All JV can do is put Pog under pressure & hope for a mechanical. For example if Pog punctures & his teammates are nowhere, he'll lose time. Ineos & Bora will also drill it if he's dropped.

But this scenario is true for Roglic & Vingegaard as well. Everyone in GC is on thin ice in this stage.

Reactions: Eeslliw
You're probably right. In most cases I would not expect the break to last in a possible sprint stage in week 1 of the tour. But I do think because of the pave, there are enough classics guys without GC responsibilities that they might fancy their chances by going in the early break. Just conjecture, I'm content to wait and see.

It'd probably be useful for a good few teams to try and get a domestique up the road so that they're there later on for their leaders. Better to be in front and dropping behind rather than trying to make up time. Not so much Jumbo or Ineos who have a lot of riders who'll survive but other GC teams don't have those guys.

Also surely likes of Intermarche are targeting here and we get Taco in the break.

Reactions: hayneplane
Florian Vermeersch of Lotto-Soudal could win this stage. He was best behind Colbrelli in Roubaix 2021. He‘s in good shape also.

The cobbles are a lottery, as always. Probably we will again see collapsing frames or wheels. Full gas on the cobbles with lightweight full-carbon bikes stays a lottery.