• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 5 (Lille Métropole – Arenberg Porte du Hainaut, 157k)

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
1: Pogi showed his strength on the cobbles, but only got 13 seconds out of it. I felt like good ol' Phil and Bob were acting like he won 5 minutes on them.

Hey, give Phil some credit, at least he recognized it was Pogi and not, like, a rider who's not even on the same team, or in this race, or who retired 3 years ago.

Re: Bettiol, it wasn't just before the splits, he was pulling the entire group hard with Pogacar on the wheel several times before that.

FW_psS-XkAE_2QX

I'd like to be a fly on the wall on the Jumbo team bus tonight. I imagine there will be a few sore bodies, a few sore ears and a few bruised egos. Lots of questions to answer as to how it unravelled today despite the numbers at the front.

I don't know. When Vigo flattened, I think the riders just got overexcited. It happens. The DS will just tell them to settle down next time and listen to their radios.

The amount of nonsense spoken on here about Bettoil - a very experienced rider - beggars belief.
I thought his tactics were spot on and actually benefitted the break. On one of the sectors he drove on the front the gap was about 1 min 30 at the start of the sector, came down to 1 min 15 at the end of the sector but quickly went back up to 1 min 50 when they were on normal roads.
if you can get rid of the helpers on the cobbles then there will be a lot of looking around once you get off the cobbles as the riders who are left are those who do not want to put too much effort in.
What kills the break is a consistent chase, with bodies prepared to put a shift in. What benefits a break is constant changes in speed in the chase group.
Anyone who thinks Bettiol cost Powless Yellow today knows zero about cycling

All of the commentators must have been wrong also then but I will bow to your superior knowledge.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall on the Jumbo team bus tonight. I imagine there will be a few sore bodies, a few sore ears and a few bruised egos. Lots of questions to answer as to how it unravelled today despite the numbers at the front.
They didn't get it 100% right, but in their defense, they were unlucky as well (with Roglic).
WvA's crash was probably not paying attention (Grisha Niermann said that Kruiswijk was hurt due to the crash and didn't feel good after the crash), and Vingegaard should have kept his cool a bit better (that would have avoided unnecessary bike changes by Kruiswijk and Van Hooydonck, and no bike change needed for him probably).
It was a though choice to split resources between riders. In the end they almost nailed it bringing back Vingegaard to Pogacar, and even with more help, Roglic would never have made up more than a minute of his 2 minute deficit.

Re: Bettiol, it wasn't just before the splits, he was pulling the entire group hard with Pogacar on the wheel several times before that.

FW_psS-XkAE_2QX

and his last pull with pog in the wheel led (in)directly to stuyven and pog gapping the rest as the group was all strung out.

also there was absolutely no EF rider close to bettiol that he might be pulling for.

and the camera showed bettiol talking to pog, even putting his arm on his back before one of the pulls.

EF should remove him from the race if this was not some sort of effed-up team orders.

So what happened during the 'bike change farce' of Jumbo...?

Vingegaard had his chain dropped. Van Hooydonck stopped and wanted to repair the chain on Vingegaard bike. Vingegaard was never supposed to take Van Hooydonck's bike as Van Hooydonck is probably sitting on a XL and Vingegaard has something like a S or M size.
But Vingegaard, supposed to hold Van Hooydonck's bike for a moment, "stole" his bike and only realised it was too big when he was 100 meters further (panic decision).

WvA caught up with Vingegaard struggling to pedal, he waved at Vingegaard ('follow my wheel'!) but Vingegaard couldn't even pedal so he freewheeled untill...
Soon Vingegaard caught up with Kruiswijk who waited with a bike that fits Vingegaard (only Kuss and Kruiswijk are supposed to change bikes with Vingegaard as they have more or less the same size), and they switched bikes. Next you see Kruiswijk trying to mount Van Hooydoncks bike (quite funny / farcical), and just at the same time Vingegaard sees the team car and quickly changes bikes.

Thanks for this, very farcial. Misunderstandings like in a sitcom, only missing the Benny Hill music :sweatsmile:

1. If Roglic continues, will he be a domestique for Jonas and Wout? 2. He usually abandons when he falls this far behind.3. Stuyven helping Tadej was very stupid. 4. Great job by Wout towards the end; I hope he didn't burn himself out. 5. I'm surprised Jacobson stayed with main group. 6. Good job by Jasper to gain some green points.

Vingegaard dropped his chain so him and Van Hooydonck stop. Van Hooydonck starts to repair Vingegaards bike and by the time it's fixed he looked op to see Vingegaard has left with his bike.

At that moment a chasing group with Kruiswijk, Van Aert and Kuss pass by. Kruiswijk slows down, Van Aert does not but uses the radio and Kuss steps off (to give his bike to Van Hooydonck, not sure what the plan is there).

Vingegaard is riding on Van Hooydoncks bike which is way too big and realises he cannot continues like this (he has to sit on the top tube to break get the bike to a standstill). He catches up to Kruiswijk and takes Kruiswijks bike. Vingegaard looks bike before stepping up, he must've clearly seen the approaching team car but still decided to give it a try on this bike albeit only for about 10m when he stops to get a new bike from the team car. At that moment the car arrives and Vingegaard gets a new bike Van Hooydonck (on Vingegaards bike) and Kuss arrive on the scene. Van Hooydonck quickly steps off to get back on his own bike which was in Kruiswijks hands at that moment. This makes Kruiswijk realise that he has to get back to his own bike which Vingegaard took to the other side of the road. So Kruiswijk quickly crosses the road only barely avoiding an approaching chase group. He gets on his own bike and away they go.

- Vingegaard rode on 4 different bikes in a span of 100m: his own, Van Hooydoncks, Kruiswijks and his own spare bike

Should be shown in every team hotel this evening: how not to change bikes :p

People are so harsh here...
  1. Powless dropped Cort because Cort was cramping. Cort would have been dropped even by Froome at that point.
  2. Pogacar didn't gain a lot, but by following Stuyven, he rode his own pace and stayed out of trouble as in 'attacking is the best defense'.
  3. WvA clearly was indicating Vingegaard to follow his wheel, but Vingegaard was struggling with his (oversized) bike from a team mate and stopped pedalling. You can't expect WvA to brake and stop next to Vingegaard waiting for another bike, especially when it was clear that Vingegaard had other team mates around. Those who say Roglic was left alone: WvA can't split himself in 2,
  4. Roglic... (and Ewan) really unlucky! How on earth did that bale end up there? A car or motorcycle pushed it on the road?
ps: the only idiotic riding I saw was Bettiol.
This guy gets it.
And I too have been pondering the last hour just what the hell Bettiol was thinking.

1. If Roglic continues, will he be a domestique for Jonas and Wout? 2. He usually abandons when he falls this far behind.3. Stuyven helping Tadej was very stupid. 4. Great job by Wout towards the end; I hope he didn't burn himself out. 5. I'm surprised Jacobson stayed with main group. 6. Good job by Jasper to gain some green points.

If Roglič is not seriously hurt he should absolutely stay in the race although the Tour win seems like a remote possibility now he can still be a very important factor in an eventual Vingegård win