• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 5 (Lille Métropole – Arenberg Porte du Hainaut, 157k)

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The amount of nonsense spoken on here about Bettoil - a very experienced rider - beggars belief.
I thought his tactics were spot on and actually benefitted the break. On one of the sectors he drove on the front the gap was about 1 min 30 at the start of the sector, came down to 1 min 15 at the end of the sector but quickly went back up to 1 min 50 when they were on normal roads.
if you can get rid of the helpers on the cobbles then there will be a lot of looking around once you get off the cobbles as the riders who are left are those who do not want to put too much effort in.
What kills the break is a consistent chase, with bodies prepared to put a shift in. What benefits a break is constant changes in speed in the chase group.
Anyone who thinks Bettiol cost Powless Yellow today knows zero about cycling
Why is Bettiol pulling Pogacar from 1'30 to 1'15 on the cobbles, while Powless has to gain 50 seconds on Pogacar to win the yellow jersey?

The theory of disrupting the chase by drilling it is only realistic when you aren't pulling a direct competitor for the yellow jersey (Pogacar), when the group is small (the group Bettiol pulled was quite big with many helpers) and the time gap is big enough to the escape group (bringing back that time gap to a minute, which Bettiol helped to do, motivates EVERY rider in the chase group to attack / ride).

The only thing Bettiol had to do was to counter Pogacar's attacks, shepherd Uran and discourage anyone trying to reduce the gap with the front group by riding in the front but not pulling. What he did was 'paving the way' (pun intended) for Pogacar, upping the pace when it wasn't necessary, and thus effectively costing Powless the yellow jersey.

Why is Bettiol pulling Pogacar from 1'30 to 1'15 on the cobbles, while Powless has to gain 50 seconds on Pogacar to win the yellow jersey?

The theory of disrupting the chase by drilling it is only realistic when you aren't pulling a direct competitor for the yellow jersey (Pogacar), when the group is small (the group Bettiol pulled was quite big with many helpers) and the time gap is big enough to the escape group (bringing back that time gap to a minute, which Bettiol helped to do, motivates EVERY rider in the chase group to attack / ride).

The only thing Bettiol had to do was to counter Pogacar's attacks, shepherd Uran and discourage anyone trying to reduce the gap with the front group by riding in the front but not pulling. What he did was 'paving the way' (pun intended) for Pogacar, upping the pace when it wasn't necessary, and thus effectively costing Powless the yellow jersey.
I am sorry but I really disagree with you. At the time Philpsen was still there, also Ewan before his crash, they had helpers, this was the biggest threat to winning the stage for the break. We can argue all we want but I thought’s tactics worked a treat. Pog had no help, Stuyven wanted to attack and didn’t have much team help either, they couldn’t catch the break. Job done. Powless a bit unlucky with his late attack.

God people having a go at Stuyven now. first Bettiol and now stuyven - I got a wee revelation for you guys…..Pogi is the best rider by a country mile and would still be whether those guys assisted him or not

and i have news for you, dear friend:

absolutely NO ONE is arguing that.

the question is why bettiol clearly helped pog against his own teammates.

not sure i have anything against stuyven's ride. initially he wanted to catch the break to contest the win. and trek has absolutely no GC intentions. bettiol is a completely different thing.

Reactions: Volderke
Ewan can't take a trick in this Tour, one thing after another.

Been a weird season for him... a lot of bad luck. He is low on confidence but that could change with a win. Not looking good so far though. There are honestly not that many chances left for him in this Tour.

The emergence of De Lie might soon put him down in the pecking order as the top sprinter on the team.

He is contracted until 2024, but I would be surprised if it will be renewed after that if he does not get back to his best level.

I am sorry but I really disagree with you. At the time Philpsen was still there, also Ewan before his crash, they had helpers, this was the biggest threat to winning the stage for the break. We can argue all we want but I thought’s tactics worked a treat. Pog had no help, Stuyven wanted to attack and didn’t have much team help either, they couldn’t catch the break. Job done. Powless a bit unlucky with his late attack.
We agree to disagree…

Reactions: Big Doopie
Been a weird season for him... a lot of bad luck. He is low on confidence but that could change with a win. Not looking good so far though. There are honestly not that many chances left for him in this Tour.

The emergence of De Lie might soon put him down in the pecking order as the top sprinter on the team.

He is contracted until 2024, but I would be surprised if it will be renewed after that if he does not get back to his best level.

A weird year I would say as it all started with his crash in last years Tour. His crashed in last years Tour and this years Giro were mainly his own fault, the one today was pure bad luck tho. So annoying. He's still far ahaed of De Lie pure sprintspeed wise tho, but his mental is probably shattered.

I've always been impressed by his tactical instincts and bike handling. He's won from crosswind splits (without team help) and can ride the rough stuff well. That's some MTB background mixed in with just being a smart racer.
Still, somehow it's a wasted chance for Quintana as well as for Gaudu & Vlasov to gain over a minute on Vingegaard, Thomas, Martinez etc.

They were in a perfect position with 15 kilometres to go and threw it away!

Reactions: Oldermanish
A weird year I would say as it all started with his crash in last years Tour. His crashed in last years Tour and this years Giro were mainly his own fault, the one today was pure bad luck tho. So annoying. He's still far ahaed of De Lie pure sprintspeed wise tho, but his mental is probably shattered.
The sort of rider in that if he wins one he usually ends up getting a couple. In the previous stage he just got boxed in just as he looked a chance to win. Think he is frustrated more than mentally broken

TRENDING THREADS