• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2022: Stage 7 (Tomblaine – La Super Planche des Belles Filles, 176.3k)

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I would say as dominant Pogacar is so far, its not completely over. He is also burning a lot of energy while Vingegaard rides so more hidden. That might be an advantage.

He also spent a lot of energy early to blow the field away last year and Vingegaard dropped him on Ventoux. Also beat him in the last time trial. Still think Pogacar is overwhelming favorite but if Jonas avoid a major time loss like Le Grand Bornad last year then he's not completely out of this.

He also spent a lot of energy early to blow the field away last year and Vingegaard dropped him on Ventoux. Also beat him in the last time trial. Still think Pogacar is overwhelming favorite but if Jonas avoid a major time loss like Le Grand Bornad last year then he's not completely out of this.
Yes, exactly. I think the biggest threat to Pogacar might be Pogacar himself. Feeling invicible is maybe not that great all the time.

As expected, INEOS and Jumbo have once again allowed themselves to be led to the slaughter. Ironic that INEOS does that. In doing so, they imitate the same mistakes their opponents used to make at SKY. Riding in the lead on the flat and on the small climbs. They didn't send any of their good riders on the attack before the final climb. If you then see, like today, that Pogacar has to take the lead himself at the end, without scorching acceleration, then that is a missed opportunity for INEOS and Jumbo. The other teams of classification riders are too weak for that.

Today was just a prelude to the real heavy fighting in a few days. Hopefully INEOS and Jumbo will learn from their mistakes, although I don't think so. There is only one good tactic for Pogacar's opponents. Certainly not riding at the head of the pack, as happens all too often now. But always attack with a few riders of the same team on the penultimate climb. Preferably agreed in advance between INEOS and Jumbo. But I can already guess what will happen. If a good INEOS climber will attack early, Jumbo will just start chasing along with Emirates. And vice-versa. Of course you can never beat Pogacar that way. Although Pogacar seemed less dominant today.

Bjerg, Langen and Hirschi were last 3 on the road today, and are all in the bottom 5 on gc (Moscon 170th and Turgis 172nd/LR are the other 2). Definite strategy for UAE that once the day’s work is done, shift to your lowest gear and party-pace it to the finish.

Lanterne Rouge for Hirschi - not what they hoped for when he subbed for Trentin. Maybe he'll ride into form in the next few days.