• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France Tour de France 2024 route rumours and announcements

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In a way, I feel next year's Tour is a return to a traditional tour in some ways.
We have less GC relevant stages and I think that will be a good thing. With less opportunities for attacking, we can almost pinpoint the stages in which there will be action.

In the last two editions there were 10+ stages with anticipated action but often these stages ended up as a damp squib.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
So I (with family) will be in Italy/France for stage 3 and 4, and I have questions, particularly for veteran race-goers.

Stage 3:
Is the route for the finish into Turin available anywhere? I would like to be able to book a hotel where we can just walk to somewhere to see the route. Not overly fussed on being at the finish itself, just where we can get a decent vantage point, see the peloton flash by, and the kids can see the caravan.

Stage 4
How far up the Galibier is it reasonable to think we can get in a car, with 3 small kids (ages 5-9), before the road gets closed? How early should we expect to have to get up there?

My (vague) plan is;
30 June - Check into hotel in Turin
1 July - See a bit of Turin in the morning, watch stage in afternoon. Back to hotel, drive up to (eg) Briancon, stay in campsite.
2 July - Drive about halfway up Galibier, find a good spot with a fun crowd
3 July - check out of campsite and go visit friends in Switzerland.

What am I getting COMPLETELY WRONG so far?

View: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8p2jdh

Matches how it's been traced on Flamme Rouge.

GUOCcgp.png

A previous presentation of the stage had the finish elsewhere, but this is the official finish.

La corsa passerà da Stupinigi, per poi entrare in città da corso Unione Sovietica e snodarsi su corso Lepanto fino a corso Galileo Ferraris dove i corridori taglieranno il traguardo in prossimità del Pala Alpitour.

So I (with family) will be in Italy/France for stage 3 and 4, and I have questions, particularly for veteran race-goers.

Stage 3:
Is the route for the finish into Turin available anywhere? I would like to be able to book a hotel where we can just walk to somewhere to see the route. Not overly fussed on being at the finish itself, just where we can get a decent vantage point, see the peloton flash by, and the kids can see the caravan.

Stage 4
How far up the Galibier is it reasonable to think we can get in a car, with 3 small kids (ages 5-9), before the road gets closed? How early should we expect to have to get up there?

My (vague) plan is;
30 June - Check into hotel in Turin
1 July - See a bit of Turin in the morning, watch stage in afternoon. Back to hotel, drive up to (eg) Briancon, stay in campsite.
2 July - Drive about halfway up Galibier, find a good spot with a fun crowd
3 July - check out of campsite and go visit friends in Switzerland.

What am I getting COMPLETELY WRONG so far?
When Tour stages have a summit finish at a col or mtn village, they often close the road to cars the night before. But the Galibier is very long so maybe you’ll be able to drive part way up —but I would not count on it. Someone else here may be familiar with what the situation on Galibier has been in the past,